“Not my kind of holiday - never mind the hurricane” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Playa Costa Verde

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rafael Freyre
Hotel Playa Costa Verde
You added Hotel Playa Costa Verde to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Pesquero, Rafael Freyre, Cuba   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Rafael Freyre
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Not my kind of holiday - never mind the hurricane”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We returned from PCV on 6 November. We were there for the hurricane and the aftermath. We were moved from a lower ground floor room to an upper room and told to eat early and stay in our room which we did. At some point in the early morning there was a loud crash and we ended up sitting in the sink area with our two daughters. Once the storm had died down breakfast was given and then among others my husband and younger daughter helped clear up the lobby and buffet retaurant whilst myself and my daughter went back to our room and was clearing up debris around that area. They supplied a warm lunch and dinner that evening. There was no water or electricity that first day (Thursday). By Friday we had electricity and the water was returned by Sunday with hot water on the Monday. The management seemed more interested in preparing for new guests than their existing guests. We had to demand to have clean sheets in our rooms. During the lack of no water we were washing with the bottled water which you had to acquire as they did not leave enough in your room. We were getting water from the swimming pool to flush our toilets. None of the staff helped the elderly to flush their toilets. My husband helped one such couple. The staff were also taking water out of the pool for cleaning. We were all wondering if that was what they were using to clean the dishes with! The pool was not up and ready in a few hours - any one who enetered that pool immediately after the hurricane was, I am sorry to say, a fool, at the very least. They took a good two days to clean it up and fill it up and get the pumps working again to make it safe for use. Going away from the hurricane the staff were very friendly. We certainly had our favourties as did the staff. Personally I do not understand how people go back year after year. It certainly was not my kind of holiday. First ever all inclusive and probably the last. The food was repetative to say the least. If you got anything off the buffet trays it was cold. Some of the food was also undercooked ie potatoes, rice, pasta was more than al dente. The best thing was to go and queue up and have something freshly cooked. I will say the best thing was the bread - tasty and fresh. The restaurants were not all that. Whatever you got in the Japanese you could get in the main buffet restaurant just without the theatrics. After that it was the main bar. If you like doing the same thing every night then go for it - am sure they are all pretty much the same. But if you like to go out and about a bit then forget it - there is nothing immediately outside the hotel to go to - the resort is your holiday. We did a couple of trips, the Blue and Green jeep and the catamarang/dolphin trip which were both excellent trips.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (593)
Inuvik, Northwest Territories, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We arrived just days after Sandy hit. Despite no water the first day we had a fantastic time. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I was amazed how all the staff helped with the clean-up when not doing their assigned jobs, I even spent a some time helping out. Some of the buildings had storm damage but by the time we left it was almost all repaired. All activities were available and the shows were fun, especially Holloween night. I will definitely go back .

Room Tip: Get the second floor corner units....great wrap around balcony
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I left for Cuba on October 30th less than a week after Sandy has hit the area. I was apprehensive and was expecting some disturbances due to the storm.

Check-in was efficient and fast eventhough the main counter was not operational. Workers were diligently repairing parts of the roof that had lost some shingles. The site was cleared of debris( branches-leafs) and all restaurants except for the itaian were operational when I arrived, The personnel was working hard to make our vacations as memorable as possible.

Playa Costa Verde is not only a good hotel for its amenities, it is an excellent hotel due to its excellent workers.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We booked this hotel through Thompson, the price was good but put off a little by the location as you had a short walk to the beach rather than direct access. This was not a problem in the end, you had to cross a nature reserve, which was the home of several Storks.

Arrival - On arrival the welcome was rather nice, instead of queuing at reception, we were shown into a lounge (smoking lounge mind you) offered sparkling wine and a snack and then took it in turns to check in.

Room - We had an ideal room, a corner upper floor, apart from a few loud footsteps and the occasional banging door, we heard nothing. The room had a couple of maintenance issues but nothing disastrous. The maid service was excellent.

Food- What a selection, the main restaurant had a combination of pre cooked and cooked to order food, as the hotel was not that busy we always got a table, good service and only a 5 minute wait for the cooked to order selection. In addition we had 3 speciality restaurants which we had access to the Italian- very nice setting, good selection, (however if you look at the ceiling there are a couple of small holes on the far side, guess what if you sit underneath when it is raining, you get wet) Cuban - not a big selection, ok for lobster, nice setting but be wary mosquitos, Japanese - worth a visit, enjoyable evening. There was also a Hog roast on a Saturday. The beach food was basic, Hot Dog or Tuna Sandwich but there was a 24hr snack bar for the late night Pizza or Burger.

Drink - The wine was not so good, the beer soft unless you went to Beer Corner which served cans of 3 different strength beers. The cocktails were good and the choice of spirits better than most hotels I have stayed in. The coffee in the main restaurant was a little weak but you could get a good cup in the bars.

Entertainment - Very good, did not get too involved with the daytime activities as spent most of the day on the beach, but the evening shows were good, using outside acts with string quartet, magic shows and an almost endless list of others, the only thing repeated was the fashion show.

Overall - As always it does depend what you pay for a holiday but I found this resort at this particular time of year hard to fault, even the weather, which was wet but did not rain all the time did not dampen the enjoyment nor did the pool maintenance.

It was particularly good not to be hassled by anyone selling trips, massages or car hire, if you wanted any of that there were desks where you could go to buy them.

Advice, wear shoes in the sea, particularly at low tide as there are rocks that could cut your feet. Take mosquito spray as there do live there. Take an insulated mug to take drinks form the pool and beach bar as glass is not allowed. Relax and enjoy.

Room Tip: Rooms are divided into blocks of 16, access to 8 rooms from each side, 4 on the ground and 4 on the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Wrexham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We went to this hotel for Christmas and New Year and had a fantastic time. This is our 3rd stay at this hotel and could not believe that the staff could still remember us from 5 Years previous!
The Japanese Restaraunt is a must, the food and entertainment is fantastic.
The entertainment staff are always friendly and always make time to come and speak to you and are always happy. We are returning this December and we can't wait to return to this hotel, If you are looking for a friendly, clean hotel with the best staff then this hotel will not dissapoint!

• Stayed December 2011
Barrie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

We just returned from our second trip to PCV. As amazing as the first trip was was, despite Sandy's intrusian, this was, at least, equal to it. The staff at PCV are the most amazing people I have ever met and it is due to them that this trip was the enormous success that it was. To paint an accurate picture for those reading this, you have all seen the devastation in the coastal states from Sandy being a category 1 storm. When she hit Cuba, it was a category 2-3. Roads were, at best, unpassable, at worst, washed away. Houses were flatened, roofs ripped off, whole fields of crops destroyed and animals dead. The tourist area was cut off from town. The staff were there around the clock without any way of knowing if their family members and houses were okay. 11 people died. Through all this, the staff were the same incredibly helpful, friendly and wonderful people as when all was normal. Within one hour of the storm ending, they had breakfast ready and they had already begun cleaning up and repairing. After a few hours, the generator had been engaged and we had power and in-house phones. By lunchtime, we were eating from a hot buffet. The water is controlled by an outside entity and did not return in the final three days of our stay. I wouldn't have expected it. I saw the destruction and to expect the water system to function with no power anywhere, would be ludicrous. By the following day, the main buffet area had been restored to it's previous glory and most of the grounds were back to pristine condition.

We returned because this resort is the best I have encountered in my extensive travels. Every aspect of a holiday is impeccibly achieved. From the food, activities, grounds and bar services to the people, themselves, this resort is five star. Their performance during these impossible conditions made the trip so much better, despite the storm, just to get to know them. I don't know how they could be so friendly and happy when they have whiny, rude and selfish tourists coming at them constantly as I witnessed. Most tourists were very helpful in the clean-up and kept a great attitude but some were downright nasty.

I must correct some claims from the previous review. The management and all staff worked very hard to make the preparations to keep us all safe. Without their preparations, it could have been catastrophic. They had been told to expect a tropical storm, at worst, a category one, not the monster that showed up. the only injury that happened, that I am aware of, was to myself. A fellow traveller broke a glass on a public stairway and didn't feel the need to clean it up. I found it when I stepped on it and got four excruxiating stitches in the bottom of my foot. Thankfully, the medical team at the resort are as wonderful as the rest of the staff. Almost all rooms were flooded. we fixed it by getting a squeegee, taking five min. and pushing the water out the balcony door. As previously stated, we had power back quickly and still had a wonderful time. By the way, in a hurricane trees get uprooted and shimgles do rip off. It is this whiny behaviour from some that flabbergasted me. Not to criticize the Paradisus because they had problems of their own, but, talking to some of their guests, they were envious of us and the way our staff got things fixed. Our pool was up and going within hours. we even enjoyed the pool bar.

Under normal conditions, PCV is fantastic and you will never go wrong planning your trip there. A big thankyou and hello must go out to the amazing public relations ladies, Vivian and Nuirka, Marianis in the restaurant, Isber, the Sunwing rep and all the staff whose names I wish I knew. I feel lucky to have met you and can't wait to see you again, hopefully, under less breezy circumstances.

Room Tip: All rooms that I have seen are excellent.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I booked this resort for three of us based on all the brilliant reviews that I've read.
We arrived on Oct. 23rd. Hurrycane Sandy arrived on Oct. 24th. No structural damage to this building just shingles had to be replaced on the entire roof of the lobby. Trees were uprooted, etc.
I am sure this is not the first storm there and yet no PREPARATIONS. No electricity for days, no water for days, no support from the management team. Personally, the general manger is useless . He shows no managerial skills what so ever. He would not address any safety issues nor any concerns with us. The so called "public relations" were very rude, unhelpful and shows absolutely no sympathy to us.
My room # 3318 was flooded for two days, then a huge fire on the electrical panel on the outside of my room which was extinguished by the crew. I was left there in that room for days with no water, no electricity and smell of the powder stuff that came off the fire extinguishers that made me very ill. Each time I reported it to the front desk, I was told that they are no more rooms available.
I had no choice, but to get another room at the Paradissus Hotel for an additional $216.00 per night where I was able to recupe and enjoyed the company of a wonderful team of staff.
Keep in mind, the Management at the Paradisus was fully prepared for such a storm with back-up generators etc.
When I returned to Playa Costa Verda, I was finally moved to room 2317 with a verbal apology acknowledging that because the computers were down they thought I was already moved out of room 3318. I've also received an extra bottle 700 ml. of Ron Santero rum.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Playa Costa Verde? Share your experiences!