“Just as good as the last time” 4 of 5 stars
Review of CJ's Cafe Restaurant

CJ's Cafe Restaurant
Shop 4, 99-111 Military Road, Neutral Bay, North Sydney, New South Wales 2089, Australia
(02) 9908 1161
Improve this listing
Ranked #57 of 101 Restaurants in Neutral Bay
Cuisines: Italian, French, Swiss
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Sydney, Australia
“Just as good as the last time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Went to Cj's tonight for dinner with my daughter.
It was the second time I'd dined there in 12 months. I don't know what some other reviewers meant when they commented in terms of "staff being rude"+"swearing" etc. As far as my experiences are concerned, they are absolutely fantastic. We were served by a French lady, who I believe is the owner of the resto. She was hospitable, attentive & absolutely pleasant.
We had as our entree, cheese Gnocchi (which was fantastic according to my daugther who is an Italy expert and speaks fluent Italian), and then Swiss Fondue for 2, with a bowl of chips. We were going to order a dessert but after our entree and fondue, we were just so content and could not eat any more. Next time, we would probably just go for the Swiss Fondue and desserts, plus a few glasses of wine.
Overall, it was a very nice dining experience and I will definitely return to CJ's many more times.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Sydney
“Disappointing step back into 1970's”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Visited this restaurant with 3 friends and whilst the service was pleasant the food was utterly disappointing and poor value for money.We ordered cheese fondue as entree and should have paid attention to the per person cost for a bit of stale bread and cheese. The mains were uninspiring and I felt as if I was eating at a restaurant in the 1970's with their menu options and preparation. Sure having a french fondue theme is fine but you need better mains for these prices. This restaurant is on Military road restaurant strip competing with literally close to 60 other restaurantsa where much better value for money and quality is offered. Very pricey for what you get ! The fondue sets seemed very aged.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Very nice little cafe in Neutral Bay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I was just passing by with a friend when we spotted this little cafe serving fondue. The lady that served us was so friendly and very experienced. It seems she was the only one serving the customers but still managed to do everything in a timely maner. We ordered cheese and meat fondue and they were both delicious. Nice environment, very french and good price I would say. I would definitely recommend CJs.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Awful, awful, awful!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

My husband & I went in as the place was empty & we were hungry & thought it odd that asian people were running a french restaurant - they do offer spring rolls?! We found the staff so rude we were left with our mouths open in horror! We then asked to speak to the manager/owner to complain & shock, that was the manager/owner! His wife started shrieking at us & so we paid the overpriced bill for the bland, badly cooked asian/french food & ran for our lives! This is more of a rough cafe, definitely should be closed down by the authorities!!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
2,843 reviews 2,843 reviews
1,617 restaurant reviews
1,347 helpful votes 1,347 helpful votes
“Disappointing experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Perhaps my fault but my curiosity got the better of me.
I drive past here regularly and I have fond memories of wonderful communal fondues in my younger days.
Food though has changed so dramatically and my tastes have changed enormously.
Just dunking a few bits of bread in a bowl of hot cheese doesn't work any more and $24.90 seems a lot to pay for such a dish.
There are so many other restaurants in Neutral Bay that offer quality, variety at better value

• Visited December 2012