“Great little spot to dine” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 52 Restaurants in Bedford
Cuisines: Healthy, Canadian, Soups, Family Fare
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Dessert
Description: Café l’Acadie's owner Gary Le Blanc was born into a large Acadian family where both parents hail from the Acadian village of Cheticamp Nova Scotia area and with an enormous extended family, Acadian food, music and culture were the heartbeat of our family life. Our home was the 'gathering place' for friends and relatives. My mother loved to cook and growing up, I could sit for hours and listen to her sing all the old traditional Acadians songs as she scurried about the kitchen cooking. On special occasions, I would watch in amazement at the fiddlers, mandolin and guitar players sitting around the kitchen table, while the rest would sing out loud and strong, Acadian songs of old. With Fricot on the stove, Rappie and Rabbit Pies in the oven and desserts galore, it all fed the soul. Café l’Acadie brings many of these Acadian culinary treasures from my family's kitchen to our dining room to share this rich history of delicious food.
Canada
“Great little spot to dine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

My husband and I have been to l'Acadie on several occasions and always have excellent food and service. The restaurant seats around 25 people. The food is made fresh so you can't be in a hurry at this place. We've always gone at dinner time. You have to try their Blueberry Buckle for dessert. One time when my husband and I went there, I had the dessert before the meal! That's how good it is.

Visited January 2014

Ottawa, Canada
“Best "family restaurant" in Truro, easily”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

I visited l'Acadie a couple times in December. Here's what stood out: it's a small operation but people who care. The owner will come out and talk with patrons about the acadian history for some of the dishes or even just about growing up and this or that being an aunt or a grandmother's recipe. It's not just burger and fries and sandwiches - there's something more thoughtful and deliberate about it.
And the quality of the food was consistently above average too. I had fish and chips. The fish was fresh from that day. There are other restaurants in the immediate area who are exclusively fish and chip joints, and they can't claim this. And you could absolutely taste the difference - the best I've had in years.
If you think "diner" or "family restaurant" and feel like that, with a slight acadian twist, you won't likely be disappointed. This is not 5 / 5 fine dining, but it is 5 / 5 family restaurant fare. I've got to rate it at 5 in this market because a lot of inferior frozen food places seem to be rated higher...

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Truro, Canada
“small restaurant but excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We have been there many times and have different meals each time. Service is excellent but can be slow because the food is made from scratch. The food is very tasty, if they have it try the carrot soup... it's to die for. If you want to linger and chat for a while this is the place to go. We have been there for both dinner and lunch and have enjoyed the meals each time we have gone. There are many choices on the menu are all a great value.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Nova Scotia
“Smoke filled cafe”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Food was slightly below par, baked beans were terrible didn't eat them and the waiter didn't ask if there was something wrong with them just whisked my plate plate away. Room was smoke filled like the exhaust fans were not working.
Will not eat here again.

Visited October 2013
Northfield, IL
“Comfort food well prepared”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We were here on a rainy night and there were very few other customers. We both had haddock, my wife's prepared gluten free Our meals were both tasty and well prepared. I had blueberry buckle for desert served warm, home made and delightful.

• Visited October 2013