“Perfect for a peaceful and relaxing break in the sun” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Jack's I & II Apartments

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kefalos
Jack's I & II Apartments
Kefalos, Greece   |
Ranked #23 of 39 Specialty lodging in Kefalos
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect for a peaceful and relaxing break in the sun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

My boyfriend and I have just returned from a fantastic week away in Greece. We were looking for simple, clean accommodation with a pool, strolling distance to beaches, shops and restaurants and guaranteed sun. That’s exactly what we got.

Jacks apartments are run by couple Maria and Jack who are very welcoming and Jack is a fantastic cook. The best dishes were the Greek ones, full of flavour and generous portions. In fact we thought it was some of the best food around!

The pool is sparkling, there are plenty of sun loungers and the poolside bar has cheap local beer and ice creams to keep you cool.

The accommodation was spacious, simple and clean and our room (#10) had a balcony which I think most/all rooms do. The sheets and towels where changed and the room cleaned half way through our stay which was brilliant.

We were looking for a chill out destination and Kefalos in June was ideal. There were no night clubs or groups of loud teenagers. In fact the whole town was peaceful, it being the very beginning of the season. Kos town and other places with more nightlife are close by if you wanted, but we enjoyed relaxing in the endless sunshine.

One downside is the mosquitos. I am particularly prone to getting bitten so was well prepared. If you are the same – take precautions and cover up in the evenings and use plenty of strong repellent.

Overall a great stay and I would go back – if only for Jacks home cooked food! If you think of this as a 3 star accommodation for a simple way of life then you won’t be disappointed.

Room Tip: We were given room 10 in Jacks 1 - was very nice. They are all pretty much the same I think. Jacks I...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

69 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Gasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Great week apartments clean, bed changed mid week and fresh towels 3 times in the week. A little out of town but if you don,t have walking difficulties no problem. We ate in jacks food all very tasty no complaints. we had read reviews after we booked and were really worried but all in all great holiday great value. Will be going back next year.

Room Tip: Room 10 jacks two has amazing balcony area around I'd of top floor including great Jews to sea f...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Me and my wife enjoyed a great two week stay here. A quiet friendly place with a great pool, bar and resturant. Jack and his staff were all really friendly and the whole atmosphere was laid back makng for a relaxing holiday. Jack goes that little bit further to help you with things and it helps to make for great vacation

Room Tip: All the rooms are good
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Bearing in mind the very reasonable price you pay to stay at Jack's, you will get more than your moneys worth. The rooms are clean and bright with a lovely balcony overlooking the sea off to the distance. Jack's is a family run business, and this is reflected in the brilliant friendly service that we received. All of the staff are very friendly and attentive; Billy and his wife cater for any Jack's II related request efficiently and with a smile. They even let us stay in our room until our transfer at 11pm, even though we were meant to check out at 6! The pool bar area is very nice. Lovely big pool, immaculately clean, and a well stocked and very cheap wee bar. At 2 euros a pint and 3.50 for a cocktail, I gave my liver a bit of a pounding while I was there! The restaurant caters for both the adventurous palate and the basic british one. Jack is a very good cook, and his portions are very generous indeed! We tried a number of different restaurants all over the island and could genuinely say that Jack's food was the best that we tasted anywhere. Kefalos itself (including Jack's) is a very sleepy and laid back place with some seriously lovely beaches and constant sunshine, so if you are after a week or 2 of relaxing and recharging your batteries then you could do a whole lot worse than here. And if you're doing it on a budget then I can't imagine a more value for money place to stay than Jack's. Lovely place, lovely people, lovely weather, lovely food! Would definitely recommend. Thanks for a lovely holiday guys :)

Room Tip: Ask for a room that isn't on the ground floor. If you get a ground floor room just ask to be mov...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Recently returned from Jacks apartments, and was very disappointed to say the least. Not being my first visit to the area, i understand what basic accommodation means, and the accommodation was less than basic. The room was cleaned, bins emptied and bed was changed twice during my stay, and the owners were very unfriendly, which is very unlike traditional greek people. The toilet needed some bleach putting down it, and the taps were covered in scum. One of the owners tried to enter my room without knocking, and for an unknown reason when she thought I was out, NOT to clean my room or empty the bins as there were people hired to do this. This behaviour was very upsetting. The apartments are also situated back from the main road, so you may need a torch to return, as there is no street lighting. Compared to the same star rating in Kefalos, these apartments are very poor and if you are not 'pool people' you are unlikely to be made welcome. Never again.

Room Tip: None, but take toilet roll, arriving in the middle of the night, and no toilet roll in the room is n...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Dronfield, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Jacks
This was our 3rd visit to Kefalos but our first stay at Jacks. We travelled as a group of 6 and had 3 apartments in Jacks 1, 1 on the ground floor with pool view and 2 on the 1st floor with sea views. The rooms were perfectly adequate and no more basic than the majority of Greek self catering accomodation we have stayed in which is a lot! Don't expect 5 star luxury and and you wont be disappointed - if that is what you want then you will need to pay for that.
Rooms had a kettle, basic supply of cutlery and cooking utensils etc and you could hire floor fans (15 euros week) and safety deposit (10 euros week). Beds were clean comfortable and the shower warm with constant flow of water. We kept a late check out room until 6pm for an extra 20 euros.
With a resort as pretty as Kefalos and such beautiful weather we hardly spent anytime in our rooms. They were cleaned and towels and sheets changed 3 times during our stay and extra loo rolls were provided! We emptied our own bins in between - this is self catering so I don't think this is unreasonable but I'm sure staff would have done this if you object to doing it yourself and asked.
The family and staff were great, very friendly and helpful. Jack is a fabulous chef and cooked whatever we wanted on request. If he didn't have it in he would get it for another day. You must try the Jacks special steak - but only if you are very hungry! The food was great value.
We never had a problem getting sun beds on the days we spent at the pool even though there were 6 of us. The pool is beautiful and clean and the pool bar area and restaurant really nice. You can pay to use a computer for Internet access inside if you want to and there was a pool table room which the kids loved (1 euro for a game). As with most hot countries there are loads of Mosquitos but use a good powerful tropical strength repellent and a room plug in and you will be fine. We kept the shutter closed at night but never closed the glass door.
We intend to return here for 3 weeks next year and can't wait!
Location
Lovely quiet and safe rural location set back off the main road - you may want a small torch for late night returns but we managed without. The nearest beach/ supermarkets/bars/)restaurants are a 5 to 10 minute walk away and about 25 mins easy walk to the harbour.
Kefalos
There are quite a few pebbles in the sea so I would advise beach shoes - I bought these in the supermarket for about 6 euros. This made getting in and out of the sea much more pleasant.
You can swim out to the island you can see from Jacks and climb up to ring the bell on the church.
There are several watersports along the beach. The sandiest beach is at the harbour - no need for shoes here - 5 euros for 2 beds and 1 brolly which is fairly standard. Kefalos has plenty of lovely restaurants our favourite being Sebastian's. There are plenty of bars too - Maria's being our favourite - try a white russian cocktail for 2 euros! Sidney's and Players are younger/livelier if you want this but things do not really get going in these 2 bars until after midnight so go out late if you are wanting to catch the crowds in these!
Most bars charge around 2 euros for large draft beer and main meals are generally 5 to 9 euros depending what you choose.
You can catch the bus to Kos town for around 4 euros each each way. The town is lovely with plenty of historical sights and shopping or people watching with a cold beer or cocktail by the harbour.
There is a new motorised 'train' which does a tour of kefalos and takes you up to the village. There are several shops there including 2 pharmacies and a lovely little pottery shop. You can also walk up to the village.
Out and about
Paradise beach is nearby and a boat will take you there and back for 5 euros - look out for the sign on the way to the harbour. The bus also goes there if you prefer. Also plently of parking if you have a car. The beach there is a lovely and sandy with clear shallow water. There is an inflatables play area in the sea for kids young and old (our 17 year olds enjoyed it as much as the 13 year old) 4 euros each. Beds and brolly here are 7 euros. There's a lovely beach bar which serves great pizza and cold beer! Bubble beach is also here where you can stand amogst the naturally occurring bubbles in the sea. Great for snorkelling.
Zia is a beautiful village by sunset well worth an evening trip for the views alone.

Before visiting Kefalos I had never understood people returning to the same place each year for their holiday as there are so many places to see however having already seen many beautiful Greek islands I now have no desire to holiday anywhere else for the next few years. It is beautiful, relaxing, safe, friendly and reasonably priced with great beaches and weather - what more could you want.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Arrived back 27th July after 2 weeks here, all in all i had a lovely time here and came back with a fab tan :D

The Apartments:
Basic 2/3 star self-catering room, had everything i needed. Wasn't too happy to begin with though, as i arrived at 2am (due to delays) & was desperate for a shower after a long day travelling but couldn't as there was no water!! Couldn't even have a drink as the bar was closed at that time & there was no water to make a cuppa with!
The bedding was stained with smudges of god knows what! :-/ and it was also it was very clear that the floor had not been mopped after the last people left, as there was stains from spillages all over, in the bedroom area, the balcony and in the kitchen.. not a very nice welcome!
A big plus though was that i got a top floor room in Jacks 1 as i had previously requested via e-mail a month or so prior to arriving, so 10/10 for that because i reckon my room (12) had the best view out of all of them!
My room was cleaned 3 times in my 2 week stay (twice beacuse i was sleeping when they first came! She just gave me fresh towels & bedding which was good! They even topped up the loo roll so i didn't have to buy any!!)
Also there's a little 'library' area in the entrance, so don't worry about carting a load of books out there with you as there's quite a few to choose from in both Jacks 1 & 2. I read 9 books altogether so this was a big plus for me
Safety deposit boxes were available for 10 euros a week & fans for 15 euros a week - i didn't use either of these but i did pay 20 euros on my last day so that i could keep my room on untill 6pm.. this was also a plus!
Pool table right outside the front of the apts, so it was quite annoying when people decided to play pool late at night when most were in bed! I do feel an 'open & closed' time would have been good!

The Pool Area:
Good size pool and plenty of sunbeds.. well during my first week there was, it was nice and peaceful untill a few family/friend groups arrived a week later!! - so the second week was them hogging half the sunbeds, either leaving their towels on the beds over-night or getting up at the crack of dawn to race out to put their towels out.. i don't like people who do that, they practically owned one half of the pool area that week which i found quite selfish! I do think that they should have been told by members of staff to take their towels away with them at the end of the day!

Restaurant & Bar:
I ate breakfast here 11 days out of the 14, Quality was fine, just standard breakfast food.. eggs on toast, cheese omelete, full breakfast etc served with toast & jam, coffee & orange juice.. all for 4.00 - 4.50 euros - great value and tasted good!
Didn't have an evening meal here (apart from Greek Night) as there were SOO many mozzies around the restaurant at night, got eaten alive nearly one night when i was on the internet & i had plenty of repelent on too!
Ate lunch/afternoon snack here a couple of times.. would have been more but on a couple of occasions i sat down to eat & no one came to take my order, was sat there nearly 20 minutes - the bar staff saw i was there but didn't bother to come over, just stayed chatting between themselves! so i left & ate elsewhere after that.

Local Area:
The beach was about 10 mins away, with plenty of sunbeds to chose from and wasn't over crowded either.. I used the beds by Zefyros.. they give you a card so you can get discount on food when you eat there.. i ate there many times as the food was lovely and the service was great!!
Lovely beach, the small pebbles take a bit of getting used to when walking in & out of the sea.. anyone who's been will know what i mean! lol
Lots of supermarkets to choose from, cigs, gifts, food etc all within easy reach - if you walk a litle further in either direction (about 5/10 mins), the supermarkets tended to be a little cheaper than the ones closest to Jacks! Plenty of restaurants to choose from, i actually only ate at about 4 different places because once i'd eaten at Zefyros, i really liked it so therefor i was happy to keep going back there and eating most of what was on their menu! lol

Kefalos:
I actually enjoyed myself more when i was out & about than i did when i was at the apt/by the pool, so i spent a lot of time walking around, especially down to the harbour, it is a bit of a walk but if you're a walker and a sun worshipper like me, it's nothing! haha. I took soo many photo's as there were so many lovely sights.
I didn't hire a car as i don't drive so there's lots more i didn't get to see but what i did, was lovely, its a nice quiet place, great for relaxing. I would rate Kefalos itself the full 5 stars & I would definitely come back here but not to Jacks Apts.
The price of things here didn't seem too expensive to me, pretty average & reasonable.. i brought over 200 euros back! lol

The Staff:
The only one i can say who was completely welcoming and polite was Costa, he made the effort to talk to people & ask how they were etc, he was nice! (Alice was lovely too!) All the other staff were pleasant enough, but straight away you see that they are only interested in larger parties because they are obviously spending more money than couples etc. I found this to be quite rude and unwelcoming, if i don't feel comfortable somewhere, im not gonna spend my time or money there.. they need to understand that! I would have spent more time & money at the bar/restaurant had they made everyone feel equal!
In my second week, i had to complain about the people in the room next door as they were rediculously noisey late at night 3 nights in a row, i told Jack and after that, i didn't seem to hear a peep out of them so i assume he had said something to them & was grateful for that!

When i handed my key over on my last day and thanked them for a lovely stay, they didn't even bother to say thank you or goodbye back to me... just took my key and walked off - not very nice at all, quite rude & ignorant really!

Room Tip: Request an upstairs room as most of the instects, cockroaches, crickets, mozzies etc bug the people...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Jack's I & II Apartments? Share your experiences!