“Good food, great atmosphere, wonderful hosts” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Pasta
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout, Late Night
South Miami, Florida
“Good food, great atmosphere, wonderful hosts”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

Spaghetti Carbonara was great. The owner and his staff could not have been more hospitable. We ate there a couple of times and enjoyed the experience. Excellent fresco on the wall by American artist Ben Long, resident of Lucignano, with many prominent local characters who we saw around town the week we were there, (they were easy to recognize from the painting). We had a memorable evening hanging out with Ben at La Maggiolata.

Visited September 2012

“Delicious. Just delicious.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

Everything we ordered was delicious. Price - reasonable, wine - great. Service was good as well.
We will come back if we are here again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Houston, TX
“Mixed Review...Delicious with padded tab”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

It is hard to give this review the propr # of *s. The owner, Fabrizio was very nice, seemed genuinely into his restaurant.His wife Francesca ran the back of the house, Fabrizio, the front. 2 of us, 2 women friends, were having a simple dinner quite late--sharing a steak and salad and 1/2 carafe of house wine, listed on the menu as 5 euros. There was only one other table of diners, so we didn't feel badly about asking for a small meal.

He made a grand, expressive gesture of bringing, without us ordering, a delicious pici pasta dish, divided into 2 small bowls, telling us that his wife made it and we "must" taste it. The meat ragu was really good, the pasta perfectly al dente, and I now love pici. I mistakenly assumed that it was an amuse buche on a grande scale, and that as he was soon closing, she had the ragu from earlier in the evening, and was offering it as a gift.

The wine? He went to the wall of wine and said this is what would be his house wine tonight. He poured 1/2 bottle into a carafe jar. He was attentive, The steak was perfectly cooked, and we thoroughly enjoyed his restaurant and visit.....until the check later.

After dinner, he brought 2 tastes of vin santo, saying we must try his vin santo, it is so nice after the meal.

As we were waiting between courses, he brought me to a fresco. A wonderful enormous wall painting, in the style of the old masters, of Fabrizio and his family. Including his amusing severed thumb near the meat cutter. His was re-attached after his butchering accident. Francesca and his daughters were int he painting, along with other family members.

I really was so happy at that point, we decided that this would be our go-to place for many meals.

We were thrilled to have discovered his place.....Until the check came. He charged 15 euros for the pasta we didn't order and an upcharge of another 4 for the wine. And more for the drinks.

I was upset, and wanted to say something, but my companion had such a lovely time she said no, absolutely say nothing. And I didn't, althought I was p***ed. The 30e we ordered turned into around 50 euros. Yes, it was delicious, he is charming, and I felt thoroughly ripped off and I would never return.

A pity, as the village is small, there are few restaurants, and we are here for a week.
5* food
4* ambience
1* for the rip off as he smiled

Visited May 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Wonderful food + Wonderful People = Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

A friend of mine lives in the area so when I went to visit him we often ate at the Maggiolata. Fabrizio and Francesca were so kind they always made me feel very welcomed and taken care of. They are sweet, fun, goofy, and their food is AMAZING!! I'm usually the dietary odd ball in the bunch, but it was never an issue with them. I'll never forget the little blue basket with one biscuit they would bring out and announce "Gluten Free Bread FOR Oli!"
It honestly felt like we were having dinner over at friends every time we saw them.

• Visited October 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Myslenice, Poland
“Good food, unbalanced owner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

Although I cannot have a bad opinion about what we ate (I've never had that excellent Gnocchi with pear and four chese), the overall atmosphere of this place was in exceptionally bad taste. There was a moment, when the owner's wife started to shout at him for some reason, and in the end she was trying to scam me 2 Euro on the bill. It's hard to say about being happy to visit La Maggiolata again...

• Visited August 2011