“Family friendly, great food and great service” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 14 restaurants in Claremorris
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: About 5 miles from Claremorris on the Ballyhaunis Road.
Cork
“Family friendly, great food and great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We have dropped into Flanagans over the years while visiting Mayo and the place keeps getting better and better. Every time we visit we are struck by the care and attention that has gone into this bar and restaurant. The food is of a high quality, represents value for money and the service is warm and family friendly (we have two young children who are always made feel very welcome). This place is definitely worth visiting.

• Visited June 2013

92% Recommend
Dublin, Ireland
“Excellent food, friendly staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Was lucky enough to come across Flanagan's while on a trip with some friends. It's a great place, very friendly staff, the food was great and great value too. Would highly recommend and will be back again whenever in Mayo!

Roscommon, Roscommon, Ireland
“First Class!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Mid-day way through a long journey last Sunday we stopped by at Flanagans. The vintage car parked outside caught our eye so with a car full of hungry kids we ventured in. The first thing that impressed me was that the place was gleaming, warm and inviting. We were greeted immediately by a really friendly girl (who we later discovered was the owner - Caroline). Our orders were taken without delay and the food arrived promptly which is always a bonus when travelling with kids. I cant say enough about the food to do it justice. The plates arrived full and were collected empty. Simply Delicious! Eating out is always expensive with family but our bill was very reasonable. We would definitely go back. Its a great place - lovely food, great staff, and not to heavy on the purse! Highly recommended.

Ireland
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Had heard great things about this gastropub/restaurant and had been looking forward to the Sunday lunch with friends. I found the pub to be a little bit grubby and not that comfortable but the staff were nice and the service was good and if only the food had lived up to its hype it would have been a nice afternoon. Unfortunately, the food was average and my husband's duck just a plate of gristle and for the most part his meal was inedible. Pity because one bad meal is all it takes to put you off returning or recommending a restaurant, which may be a bit unfair but since the prices were above average I was expecting better. Would maybe go again, in time, and see if there is any raising of standards but only a maybe!

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dublin, Ireland
“Good Food in the Middle of Nowhere!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

There are three things you can be sure of when visiting a provincial diner in Ireland, loud music, a prominent television set, usually more than one, showing incessant Sky News reports and the smell of deep fat frying, of which the latter can be the most off-putting. The combination of all three makes for a somewhat depressing experience for me.
Not in the case of Flanagan’s Gastro Pub of Brikens near Claremorris which I came across by accident on the way to that Co. Mayo town. I had been tempted to stop off as I was feeling somewhat peckish. I was very surprised to find so very few people there on a Bank Holiday Monday at 6pm given the very good reputation that this place possesses locally. Their publicity clearly states that the kitchen hours are Wed to Sunday and does not say anything about Bank Holidays! Maybe that would explain why they were so lacking in customers when I was there.
That aside, I had a Beef Burger with all the trimmings including some chunky chips accompanied by a glass of Chilean Sauvignon Blanc. Whilst the meal was not in the gourmet range, it was certainly good of its type and for €14 (in total) I was certainly not complaining. The burger was tasty and freshly cooked as were the accompaniments. Not too difficult to achieve one would imagine but in this day and age of instant gratification more uncommon as time goes on.
There were no bothersome television sets and the music was played at a reasonable level. And, apart from myself, there were four people seated at the bar: and no one else in the place except the staff who were friendly and helpful and actually listened attentively to this customer’s requests.
I would like to visit the place again when there might be a better more convivial atmosphere but I will be back in the near future.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere