“Delightful place to stay near Canberra” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Redbrow Garden Guesthouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Murrumbateman
Redbrow Garden Guesthouse
1143 Nanima Road, Murrumbateman, New South Wales 2582, Australia   |
Sydney, Australia
“Delightful place to stay near Canberra”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Redbrow Garden is an eco lodge set on beautiful grounds. The rooms are comfortable, clean and reasonably spacious, with a good ensuite. Stepping out the back door of the unit led us onto a grass verge overlooking the small lake which has a rowing boat moored on the shore. This is an ideal spot for wine and cheese before dinner. The gardens are beautiful and guests are regularly visited by a number of blue wrens. We have visited in different seasons. At the time of Floriade the gardens were a picture with fruit trees blossoming and the lake was beautiful. At the end of winter the gardens and lake were out of season but still spectacular. It is so peaceful, and we enjoyed spending time in the gardens looking over the water, watching the birds and listening to the frogs. Good BBQ facilities are provided and bacon and eggs are provided for guests to cook their breakfast in the kitchen. Overall a pleasant place to stay if you want to escape from the city.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

28 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Kiama, NSW Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

The garden and bush setting is delightful. Love the birds. We had a family wedding at Poachers Pantry just down the road. This worked well although Redbrow is a little too far from Canberra for last minute preparations and it has no mobile coverage. We stayed in the three bedroom cottage which is large and rustic. The outdoor living area is great and we had a pleasant bar B Q Friday night after rehearsal but beware we were shocked to learn Redbrow charges an extra $10 a head for each visitor invited to share our meal. We had planned to have all the bridal party visit for a couple of hours but at this price cut it down to just two extras.
The air conditioning was welcomed as it was a hot day. There is also a wood fire for winter. Only one toilet which is situated in the only bathroom so a bit of a juggling act when everyone is getting ready at once. Car parking near the unit is tight but more is available if you don't mind walking.
Overall a pleasant place to stay if you want to escape from the city.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I stayed in the Blue Wren room (2 bed) with my sister on a 3-day visit to Canberra recently. The reception from the woman behind the desk (Elizabeth?) was brusque "You are Alex? How will you pay?". Okay, payment is important I guess.... The rooms were adequate, clean and reasonably spacious, but gloomy (lights are awful). Walked out into the garden to be greeted cheerfully by two blue wrens, so there is definitely truth in that advertising! The gardens and pond were out of season (end of winter) but still spectacular, peaceful, and I really enjoyed spending time in the gardens looking over the water watching the birds and listening to the frogs. The beds were super hard, the lighting poor, and the supplied breakfast materials were barely adequate. bacon and eggs were provided daily, but the bread was stale (refrigerated for days), the jams and spreads were individual sachets and ran out quickly down to vegemite only. There were two bottles of jam in the fridge, almost empty and crystallised they were so old. The door on our unit had a faulty lock, so we had to call for help to get back into the apartment - David was very friendly and helpful in marked contrast to his wife. Overall I enjoyed the stay, and the place is beautiful, but I strongly felt a more hospitable attitude and a little bit of money and time spent on the small details would result in a much better experience for guests. I'll probably try another place next time.

Room Tip: The Blue Wren room is ideal for families
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012 via mobile

First words when we arrived were "how do you want to pay?". Then shown to our room (which was fine) - and pointed to the shared kitchen where we were told to make ourselves breakfast. No cosy B&B style here. Just clean rooms lined up like a motel and a very sparse and freezing shared kitchen. No fresh food for breakfast - just cereal, powdered coffee and a few apples and bananas - except the apples were mouldy and dry. Cannot recommend this place

• Stayed July 2012
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

My mother, my two children and I have stayed on a continual basis at Red brow Garden now for the past ten years. My mother has passed on and my children have grown up but I continue to go down to attend the summer exhibition at the Art Gallery and the National Folk Festival over Easter. As a single mother with a stressful job the peace and tranquility was a tonic and I always sleep well there. I found the price very reasonable and yes management style has changed out of necessity over the years as age has caught up with us all. I have so much respect for David and Elizabeth and all they have achieved through their hard work. Their commitment to providing access for people with disabilities in the planning of the rooms and particularly the bathrooms is to be commended.Unfortunately for them they do not have right of reply to this sight and are not able to comment as freely on guests attitude and behaviour as guests comments are posted here. They have not won multiple awards for nothing. I will always treasure the times I have stayed there.

Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

We stayed in the three bedroom accommodation. I musn't have studied the information carefully enough as I imagined a three bedroom separate house in the gardens. It is actually attached to the owner's house. There are a couple of locked doors that link up to their house and even a gap under the door (you can see if the light is on in their section so clearly they can hear your conversation if they chose to. I'm sure they have no interest in doing this however it just doesn't feel private.)
The door to the small bathroom has a large gap below and above the door (10-20cm).
To enter the master bedroom you must pass through bedroom three. I wouldn't describe bedroom 3 as a separate room.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

As an outdoor wedding venue I highly recommend this beautiful location. The venue created a great relaxed atmosphere, with a stunning back drop for photos. We booked the entire venue for Friday and Saturday night, making not only a great wedding but an enjoyable weekend away with friends and family. I found both the hosts friendly and more than happy to leave us to our own devices, which suited us to a tee. This is important to keep in mind as hiring the venue does not also mean hiring the hosts as wedding assistants. This is what appealed to us as we were able to do everything exactly as we wanted.

All in all this venue helped provide us with happy memories of what was a great day and I would recommend to anyone who is looking for a garden wedding.

A few things to note, although not dire include:
- I would recommend to pay for all the accommodation on check in as check out is a bit hectic with the wedding clean up.
- Ensure that caterers have specific details of where to set up or have someone in your wedding party who is happy to guide them, as the hosts will not be around.
- it would be a good idea to have a spotlight or something along the path towards the car park as is very dark at night.
- Only other thing is that phone reception is limited at the venue so ensure that you give contact details for someone’s phone that works.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to Redbrow Garden Guesthouse? Share your experiences!