“Not a farm stay and not suited for kids.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Raglan Farmstay

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Raglan
Raglan Farmstay
You added Raglan Farmstay to your Saves list
Te Whare Farm, 39 Main Rd, Raglan 3225, New Zealand   |
Ranked #6 of 10 Specialty Lodging in Raglan
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Not a farm stay and not suited for kids.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Although the farm stay has a beautifull website and they are still actively working to modify the property to a optimal accommodation, the stay was nothing we could have expected. The so called cabins are sheds not much bigger than a 2p bed, a chair and a cupboard. The host wasn't clear of what he expected and he certainly didn't like a toddler on the premises. We fled the accommodation after one night and although recognizing the problem he wanted to charge us for the booked nights. Almost ruined the raglan experience.

• Stayed November 2013
RaglanFarmstay, Owner at Raglan Farmstay, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Hi Joost
Thank you for your review and I'm sad that you did not enjoy my place and tried to leave with out paying ! It is my job as a host to balance the requirements of all my guests and although the website clearly states we are not suitable for kids up at the main Farmstay, you did make a special request to bring your "baby", which in fact turned out to be a toddler. I explained on check in that you could use the facilities in the main house between 9am and 9pm so as not to disturb the other guests sleeping in the house rooms, however when I saw the lights were on at 11pm I found you and your partner watching a movie at full blast on your laptop, so I asked you to return to your cabin where you had put your child to sleep. Then in the morning at 8am you and your partner decided to play with your child in the sun room that is directly adjacent to the house master bedroom, where I had other guests staying. When I explained this to your wife and asked her to take your child outside to play considering it was such a beautiful sunny morning, I was given the look of death and she stormed off. You came to me later that day after using the internet for while saying that you were going to leave and you even apologized for your wife being so stroppy. So please next time your going to leave a review like that please tell the full picture ...

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Cambridge, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

We had a night away in the double-bed chalet and enjoyed the modest & relaxed nature of the property. Chris made us feel very welcome, and it felt like being at a family bach. Great views, private chalet, help-yourself breakfast - we'll be back!

Room Tip: Double-bed chalet is simple, quiet & private.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Christchurch
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

With the pigs and chickens in the yard it was like a farm , more like a hobby farm. Many people come to NZ because you can buy some land and have a few animals and live the good life. And there were lots of travellers staying , some doing work like woofing , so they did our breakfast which was fine , I liked sharing the breakfast room with other travellers . The rooms were comfortable and I don't mind sharing a bathroom. The views from the garden and deck were spectacular, that deck chair was great ,and the pic shows it as it is . A spa with a view too. It's a relaxed laid back place which is the way we are in NZ. Loved Raglan too, the beaches and surfing is great ,and the town has some nice galleries and architecture.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

My partner and I had driven from kerikeri and going by the shots taken, would have been very happy to arrive and relax, but unfortunately it missed the mark.

The photos showed an enticing backdrop, warm rooms and a relaxed atmosphere, but these were cleverly shot, and for us, not what we expected. We were met by a girl named Silke, who had no relation to the house at all but had explained that we were to be met by 2 guys who look after the place whilst the owner Chris is overseas, at 7pm.
Almost 2 hours later they arrived, intoxicated, to which my partner had to get out of bed and go and introduce himself. This was encouraged by their presence of using the bathroom next to our bedroom, noises we did not need to hear. After a short introduction, Luis explained that they will be gone at 6am and someone else, name not provided, will tend to us.

After a not too pleasant night sleep, in a small bed, with no view at all, unless you consider a driveway appealing, there was no way that we planned on staying a second night, which was booked and paid for before we arrived.

We understood, in time, the philosophy of open house, drifters to help maintain the property and the no front and back locked doors policy but overall, we would not recommend this place, especially for the price we paid.

Upon arriving back from dinner, we met another couple staying there who were also a little mystified and underwhelmed by the lack of typical B & B service.

Sorry Chris but we are not impressed and decided NOT to stay a second night.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
RaglanFarmstay, Owner at Raglan Farmstay, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Hi Alf

This is Chris the owner of the Farmstay, Im so sorry for the bad experience that you had, I would like to offer you a full refund and an extra credit of 2 nights stay usable any time from October 20th onwards as that is when I am back. I have since decided to temporarily close the B&B for the next 2 months until I get back, as it has become clear that my normal level of service is not being offered.

Please accept my sincere apologies, and let me make it up to by showing you the proper hospitality and service that the Farmstay has become famous for over the past couple of years.

email me directly at hello@raglanfarstay.com and I will arrange your refund.

Kind regards

Chris
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

My wife and I stayed here during Easter 2013. During our first night I remember hearing Chris talk to an older couple and by the sounds of it I made the assumption that they were his parents. Turns out they were guests who had just stayed for a week. Chris treats you properly as a guest and as a friend

This place fills a gap in the market in Raglan where it is not quite a backpackers nor a flash (and expensive) BnB or hotel.

Great breakfast. Hopefully by now he has fixed the door with the lock stuck in it :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Mu husband and I stayed here for 3 nights. The owner was away traveling and the staff caring for the grounds were excellent hosts. They were fun to talk to and provided a great breakfast spread each morning. We stayed in the mountain suite, which has a gorgeous view. The room itself is rather small, but the view makes up for that. The farm seems like a work in progress, and I hope the vision is carried out for next time we visit Raglan. They also have the sweetest, most darling cat named Lolo. I loved the cat so much, and I am NOT a cat person. I recommend staying here!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We were disappointed by the noise, as this was not a traditional B&B but more a rowdy backpacker commune. We arrived here from Ohope beach and really wanted a quiet, relaxed stay before departing for Auckland. In the owner's absence the house was 'managed' by an unpaid staffer/volunteer who invited his friends over. As it was Saturday evening we thought the noise was still ok, however late Sunday afternoon the friends were there again- making a Sunday nap (after a long hike) all but impossible. When we addressed this he mentioned that our age might be the problem (I'm 41, my husband 45). Nice location, however the place should rather advertise backpacker rates as it's not a traditional B&B. We initially planned to stay for 3 nights but checked out early.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Raglan Farmstay? Share your experiences!