“didn't live up to expectations” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Diner
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Toronto, Canada
“didn't live up to expectations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

After seeing an episode of You Gotta Eat Here featuring this restaurant, we decided to make a stop there on our way to Bruce. What an utter disappointment! We expected food to die for, but it was just plain average. If our expectations were not so high, I wouldn't even bother with the review. We got fed, no one got sick, the service was fair... but out of five of us nobody had something that would deserve "wow, this is tasty"... My hamburger was dry and tasteless, but not inedible. Anyway, I am not going to take any recommendation from Catucci any more...

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Oakville
“Can't believe we missed it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We have lived in the area for over 3 years now and have passed by numerous times.
Gas bar out front and there is always cars/trucks in the parking lot.
It is hard to find good Fish N Chips in the area so we thought we would give it a try.
WOW. What a waste of three years.
Food was excellent and there was a lot of it.
As some of the other reviews have stated do not judge this restaurant by it's cover. I never saw the you gotta eat here episode but I will Google it after I write this review.

• Visited June 2013
Barrie, Canada
“Interesting Chic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We took a drive to this diner after seeing it featured on "you gotta eat here" it was wonderful.. The decor was a blast from the past.. mix matched, wooden seating with an easy breezy care free feeling. The service was ok.. the food was amazing.. BIG BIG servings and full of flavour.. the only thing that would have added to the service was hammocks for a nap.. cause you leave feeling full.. yum oh... the prices were great bang for you buck.. One note though CASH ONLY is the only method of payment, however there is an onsite ATM for those not in the know... a delicious stop on a full day.. and a FULL day it was

• Visited June 2013
Owen Sound, Canada
“Don't judge a book by its cover”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We live close by and after years, decided to stop here for a bite to eat. So glad we did!!! Don't judge the place by its decor......the food is great!!!!! Ribs were delicious, fries fresh cut, the hot turkey open face sandwich is my partner's favourite.....everything made from scratch, the gravy was incredible, the creamed corn is a must, actually ask for more cause it is so good, you'll want more. The burger is exactly how a burger should taste.....charbroiled and crispy on the outside and very juicy on the inside. And the prices are so incredibly affordable for the amount of good, fresh, tasty food. Finally, an extremely good restaurant in the area!!!!!

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Absolutely true, You gotta eat HERE!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I decided to take a drive up to The Flying Spatula after seeing the restaurant being featured on the show You Gotta Eat Here. An old time diner style, with a hint of sixties chic, The Flying Spatula has a comfortable endearing quality to it. One thing to keep in mind, is that there is plastic of any type accepted here, Cash only! The service at the Flying Spatula was what you would expect from a stereotypical small town diner. Extremely friendly, quick to serve and always in touch with the customers. Refills offered, checking on the food with you. Really nice! Even though there was an error with my order, the waitress was so apologetic and wanted to make things right. I was still happy to eat my hot hamburger, it was my second choice, so the mistake was not a big deal as the meal turned out to be AWESOME! The gravy was almost secondary to the taste of the hamburger. The seasoned meat really comes through the gravy, which is so tasty. It's almost light, not heavy what so ever. The cream corn is simply the best I ever had in my life. Rich with a nice texture, the cream corn acts as such a nice accent to the meal. The prices are more than reasonable, especially with the more than generous portions. I know that I will be returning to the Flying Spatula as soon as possible. The quality of the meal is really worth the drive to Flesherton. I would highly recommend for those heading towards Collingwood, Owen Sound or Tobermory to go out of their way to enjoy a meal here. It's worth to drive a bit out of the way to enjoy such a great meal with friendly service.

• Visited April 2013