“one of my most favorite places” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Black Rock Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Black Rock
Black Rock Lodge
You added Black Rock Lodge to your Saves list
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Negroman Road, Black Rock, San Ignacio 00001, Belize   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Black Rock
Scottsdale, Arizona
“one of my most favorite places”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

This was our second visit to Blackrock lodge, and will certainly not be our last. This is paradise. The location is lush with flora and fauna. Everywhere you look there is extreme beauty. The staff couldn't be more friendly or accommodating. I jokingly mentioned to the manager, Peta, that the vegetation in front of our cabin had grown so much since we were last here that we could no longer see the river view. She immediately had staff cut back the tropical plants to restore the view. They even removed a palm tree, and planted it elsewhere.
The delicious food is served family style, so we were able to meet some wonderful guests.
I LOVE IT HERE!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Anne F

Alpharetta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

My wife and I spent 4 nights at Black Rock in June 2012 as part of our 20th anniversary celebration. It was our first experience with an Eco-Lodge which made a little apprehensive but this feeling quickly changed within minutes of arriving on site. The roads were rough and at times not incredibly well marked so we were very glad to have the staff do our pick-up and drop-offs. The tours and activities proved to be incredible; Aside from exploring the jungle around the lodge we did the ATM tour, Tikal, a night hike, and tubing on the river.

Dining is communal which proved to be a lot of fun. The food was amazing and it was nice getting to talk with other guests about where they'd been and what we'd be doing next. I had hoped there would be more local dishes on the menu for a better taste of Belizean cooking so we had to venture outside of the lodge for that experience.

Last but not least, the staff. Giovanni, Jaime, Evril, Genny, Victor, Carlos and everyone else at BRL whose name I didn't get the chance to learn - you were all such wonderful hosts!!! From Jaime making lanyards for our glasses out of string to Carlos taking us to a local eatery for some local food on our last day, we couldn’t have felt better taken care of. The service you provided was absolutely amazing, and we can't thank you enough for your hospitality. We hope to see you again in the future!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank M_J_explorers
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a couple nights this August and we absolutely loved it. It really is in the middle of the rainforest and the scenery around the place is beautiful. You have to go on a dirt road for 6 miles to get here but it isn't so bad. I would recommend getting a rental car because it makes getting in and out of this place a lot easier so you don't have to pay for all the tours which gets pricey. We went to caracol and Xunantunch around the area without a guide and Giovanni was nice enough to give us a map for caracol. The food was good however for Belizean prices it was expensive. I can't believe the reviews who say Belize doesn't have a good cuisine they obviously didn't venture out in San Ignacio town to try out the local restaurants because they were delicious and dirt cheap!!! Food at the black rock lodge caters to typical North American tourists and their food is mostly North American so we only ate there once. The reason I gave this hotel a 4 star is because I paid for a river view cabin but I could not see the river from where we were. They told me it was sold out and this was the last cabin but I am not sure if they just let me pay for a river view and got a garden view. I also noticed that all the other cabins had curtains except for ours which made it very uncomfortable at night to keep the window open despite the fact that it was very hot and windows needed to be open. It was nice thought waking up to the sound of the birds in the morning and the hotel staff were all very friendly! I would stay here again!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank QueenS91
Caldwell, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

My family and I absolutely loved this place. Scenery , food, employees were great!!! Definetly recommend for any one. The trip up to the lodge was fun, we travelled there with our 3 boys. the hikes around the lodge were tough but very rewarding. the food was good which I was really happy b/c Belize doesn't have the best cuisine. The management Giovanni was very sweet and kind. Anastacio was very knowledgeable about the wild life. You will never regret going to this place. We miss it already.xoxo

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank stu C
dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My sister and I stayed here at the beginning of May. It was the first place we stayed, on our 10-day Belizean adventure and the best one on the mainland, by far. Right on the river, birds and wildlife galore. They were very good about making sure we had something to do everyday or nothing if that's what we chose. They allowed us to customize our Caracol Mayan ruin tour because we were the only two people to go that day. They even fixed our rental car that broke down as we pulled into their 'parking lot'. The food was very good and the views were unbeatable. The cabins themselves were adorable and the hammocks out front were the perfect touch to a perfect place to stay and begin our adventure through one of the coolest countries I have ever been to. I'd like to go back every year if I could. Everyone should experience their gem of a lodge.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank jenni m
Glendale, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at Black Rock. The scenery really is stunning as mentioned before. The food is good, which is hard to find in Belize and the staff are overall helpful and friendly.

However, I do think, given the price, the management does have room for improvement. The swimming hole area needs to be upgraded. There were empty bottles/garbage consistently around it. They were never picked up (we were there for five days). The beach was never raked. There were no chairs near the beach area. As a matter of fact, we walked right by the swimming hole and had to ask the management where it was.

The window in the shower and toilet had no curtain which was very strange given there were curtains all around the bedroom area. I mentioned this to the management and was told I was the first to bring this up.

There is also no defined laundry facility, which was a pain as I hand washed our clothes in our room. Because there was no clothes line provided, we had clothes strewn all over our room to dry. There was mention that you could wash your clothes in the leftover water once the cleaning staff were done. This sounded pretty gross so I never bothered.

The activities were really expensive given the quality of what you did. We took a canoe ride down the river with a guide and were left at Chaa Creek for lunch. We were supposed to stay until 3:00pm, but decided we wanted to go back earlier. We called Black Rock at least 4 times and waited for 2 hours before they sent someone. It was irritating to say the least.

However, the guides for our other activities were really good. We loved Barton's Creek and visiting the Mayan Ruin. We also enjoyed talking to the other guests at dinner. Overall Black Rock is a comfortable, middle of the road lodge that could be an amazing lodge with a bit of tweaking.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank Hates_Flying
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Giving this resort only 5's is an understatement!! It trully is in the rain forest as it's a 6 mile trip down a dirt (but in reasonable shape) road. You wake up every morning to the sounds of the river below and the Tucans and countless other birds above. The entire resort is clean with very few bugs or pests. The service is inpeckable!!! They go out of their way to satisfy every need or want that you could have. All of them speak English so if you don't know Spanish it's okay. The only part that we were not completely satisfied, and we're splitting hairs here, is some of the dinners were not a 5, more like a 3. But the service was still great, the ambience was almost magical, and overall we were very sad to leave. You have to stay at this resort!!!

• Stayed August 2013
San Ignacio Resort Hotel
San Ignacio Resort Hotel
#5 of 14 in San Ignacio
4.5 of 5 stars 686 reviews

Been to Black Rock Lodge? Share your experiences!