“Randall was just amazing!!!” 5 of 5 stars

970-315-4023
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: Costa Rica Birding Journeys is a tour operator for birding & photography trips in Costa Rica. Randall Ortega Chaves is the owner and operator of this company. He has 15 years of experience and is noted as one of the top birders and bird photographers in Costa Rica.He offers day trips, group and private multi-day excursions throughout the entire country. He is a certified naturalist guide through ICT, a member of the association of ornithology, and a nature photography instructor for the Institute of Tropical Studies of Costa Rica.
“Randall was just amazing!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

This is my first post EVER on TA. A friend and I took a trip to Jaco. First time to Costa Rica and really had no idea what we were going to do other then get to whatever Natl. Parks we could. We met Randall while out shooting in Carara Natl. Park one afternoon. There was no one else in the park and we ended up spending the rest of the day(about 6hours) watching him work a d listening to him call the birds. I was just amazed at how much he knew and how eager he was to share. Randall is one of the most authentic people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. If you are even THINKING of getting a guide while in Costa Rica- Randall is THE MAN!!!!

fort worth
“Unforgettable tour with a knowledgeable and passionate guide”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

This was my first time to visit Costa Rica and I really wanted to experience the natural beauty and wonder of the rainforest. I preferred to go on a more private tour rather than a group tour because I like to keep at my own quick pace and I didn't want to get stuck waiting on every person that may want to stop. I was a little worried when I realized it would just be me and one of my girl friends on the tour. however -- the moment I met our guide Randal -- my mind was completely put at ease. Randal took us on a wonderful 2 mile hike through the rainforest to a 200 ft waterfall. He was very friendly, professional and informative. There was never a dull moment during our tour -- as he made sure to keep us laughing. He took his time with anything we were interested in photographing or observing on the tour. He was very knowledgeable about all aspects of the rainforest's ecology -- specifically birds, animals, and different plant species. Swimming in one of the natural pools formed by the waterfall was exhilarating -- not to mention unforgettable! I regret not bringing a better camera then my "point and shoot" for the hike, because there were many photography opportunities. If you are planning on visiting the waterfalls bring a swimsuit. Also, I would wear hiking shoes instead of tennis shoes because some of the areas were slippery and muddy. I would definitely Randall as a guide for anyone who is seeking an intimate, informative, and memorable journey through the Costa Rican rainforest.

Visited August 2011
Centennial, Colorado
6 attraction reviews
“Another rave for Randall!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

From Scarlet Macaw to Rufous-tailed hummingbird and lots of birds in between, my husband, son, & I were thrilled with our half-day of birding with Randall -- I only wish we could have spent more time with him. He is knowledgeable, personable, flexible, and obviously passionate about his work. I will be happy to recommend him to any of my birding friends when they travel to Costa Rica.

Visited November 2011
Vancouver, Canada
“Friendly, accommodating, exceptionally knowledgeable guide.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

We are two experienced birders who had limited time in Costa Rica and wanted a guide who would take us where the birds were. Randall far exceeded our expectations. His knowledge of bird behaviour, vocalizations and habitats is inspiring. He was able to customize our day according to our interests, and we saw (and photographed) many species that I never thought we'd be able to see in a single day.
Randall's knowledge of ecology, insects, vegetation, reptiles, etc really rounds out the experience. Highly recommended.

Visited October 2011
Kyotango, Japan
“Great locations and excellent guide”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

Randall is a first rate guide with excellent knowledge of birding locations in Costa Rica. He is particularly skilled in the calls and can find the many forest species that would be difficult for foreign visitors. He is friendly as a guide and CRBJ is very accommodating and well organized in arranging trips. I would highly recommend him to anyone that wants to see birds in Costa Rica.

Visited December 2010