“Run-of-the-Mill Economy Hotel...Odd Hotel Policies.” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan Ahead and Save 15%
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Dieppe
jjlalumi
“Run-of-the-Mill Economy Hotel...Odd Hotel Policies.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

We recently stayed at this property due to weather conditions while traveling. The hotel, itself, is what you would expect from an economy hotel. No frills just bare-bones. The hotel does need some attention but it is not in disrepair. The staff members were polite, and our rooms were clean and comfortable for the most part. The beds and pillows are extremely firm and the walls and ceilings are notably thin. We could clearly hear conversations in the adjacent rooms and we knew each time the guests above us got out of bed or used the washroom. If you are not a heavy sleeper, this may not be your best option. Overall, it was an okay stay while we waited out the weather. Weather aside, however, there are other very nice hotels in the area, at the same price-point, that offer nice accommodations without the aggravation.

Our concerns, and the reason for the poor rating, are with the hotel's inconvenient check in/checkout policies regarding deposits, the recording of private information and refusing to provide credit card receipts. We do a great deal of traveling and we have stayed at hotels across the globe. Never have we been asked for our home address and home phone number, let alone an additional cash/credit deposit due at the time of check-in, and we are always given receipts—always. As such this was our first and last time staying at a Super 8. Our friends, with whom we were traveling, will not be returning, either.

In summary: we booked and paid for the hotel, online, at a rate of $93.00. When we arrived at the hotel the gentleman behind the counter said that he needed to get some information from me. I figured it would be the normal, car tag, mobile phone, credit card for incidentals, type of thing, but it wasn't just that. I was asked for my mailing postal code, home address, and home phone number, none of which I provided. It had a very “would you like to be entered into our system to receive promotions” sort of feel. I used a PO Box and mobile number to satisfy this “requirement”.

The next bit was equally unorthodox as I was asked for an additional cash/credit card deposit of $100.00 for the room. Again, I have never been asked for this at any other hotel in over 20 years of frequent travel. It’s common practice for a hotel to ask for a card to have on file for incidentals, that's understood. They swipe the card, and hand it back to you. That's that. Nothing gets charged to the card unless there’s an issue or an unpaid balance. To ask someone to pay a deposit at check-in, after prepaying for the room, is just bad business.
The man behind the counter then advised me that the charges would be reversed when I checked out in the morning, which only added to my confusion. If they are going to reverse the charges at checkout, then why charge the deposit in the first place? As it turns out, that was not the case.

Furthermore, unlike hotels that ask for a credit card for incidentals, Super 8 actually charges the card. I have read all of the reviews for this hotel (those also relating to the $100.00) and I am now facing the same issue of waiting for my deposit to be refunded to my card. It's not the money...it's the principal. Make no mistake. Your credit card will be charged. If they were just keeping a card on file for incidentals there would be no need for you to type in your PIN or sign a receipt. The $100.00 deposit will show up on your credit card statement, and you will have to wait for the hotel to reverse the charges—absurd.

To add to these rather unconventional hotel policies, when I was handed the credit card terminal to type in my PIN, I was not given the receipt when I handed it back to man behind the counter. He stapled the credit card receipts to the room/car information sheet. I asked for a copy of the receipt and was told that it’s not a receipt as the card had not been charged. When you type in your PIN to a credit card terminal and a receipt comes out, the card has been charged—thus the receipt. Sure enough, when I got to my room and checked my card balance, online, there was the charge for the deposit. During check-in I also noted that the gentleman was writing down my credit card information on a blank sheet of paper. Not the end of the world, but when coupled with the other bits I walked away from the desk feeling very uncomfortable about the whole experience.

When we checked out the next day, I asked the woman behind the counter (who was also very pleasant) if I could please have a copy of the receipt for the deposit that I had made the night before, as well as a receipt showing the reversal of the deposit charges. Again, I was advised that I would not be given a receipt or either of those transactions and that my confirmation from Expedia was my only receipt. That would have been fine hadn't they taken more money from me when I arrived at the hotel. As such, I am not clear as to why I was denied a copy of the charges that were applied to my card. She then told me that I should expect to see the charges reverse sometime in January. She told me to check online for the reversal of the charges—that’s just unacceptable.

I also learned that had we paid the deposit in cash when we checked in, then it would be given back to us at the time of checkout. But, we would've had to wait in the lobby for someone to go up to the room, verify the room, return to the counter, give the "OK" and then we would have been refunded our cash—ridiculous. The same would happen with the credit card if you wanted to wait for them to verify the room, but you still have to wait for the banks to reverse the charges on the cards, so there is little point in wasting time while the hotel staff does their inspection.

These policies are inconvenient for the guests, at best. While it is understood that hotels need to protect themselves against loss and damage, it should not be done be at the expense and aggravation of the guest.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
watching, Manager at Super 8 Moncton - Dieppe, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Hello jjlalumi! Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I am going to try to shed some light on the deposit policy. I understand that it can be confusing. When a guest books a reservation and pays online, they must make a deposit upon checking into the hotel to cover any incidentals such as long distance telephone calls. We do not have a copy of your credit card if you have paid a third party site such as Expedia or Hotels.com as they provide us with payment, not the guest. You pay them and that is why we need something from the guest to cover this as those sites will not cover any incidentals from guests. Our agents are not able to provide you with a reciept of this deposit upon check out unless you have a charge of some sort. A pre authorization is made to your card, not a charge. We do not charge unless any incidentals occur. We cancel the preauthorization upon the guest checking out and it just removes the hold from our system. Credit card companies will sometimes keep this hold for up to 5 days but as soon as the guest checks out, we no longer have that hold. It is your individual credit card company that may retain it up to that time. Therefore, we have nothing to give you. We also accept cash and debit for guests that prefer not to travel with credit cards. This is a great convenience to many guests as they recieve their deposit immediately upon departure. We get a guests information for emergencies and liability purposes only. I can assure you, all guest information is held with the strictest of confidence. I hope this information helps you when you are travelling in the future. Take care and enjoy your holiday season.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
New Glasgow, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

This Hotel cost $119 plus tax. It was not very clean. Nothing in our room seemed to work, remote and heat. It was cold when we got there and took forever to warm up. They have a free breakfast in the morning until 11, but they shut everything down at 10:05. So basically they should post closed at 10 because we don't want to clean up after 10. Very disappointed in this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
watching, General Manager at Super 8 Moncton - Dieppe, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Hello Tiff L from Super 8 Moncton/Dieppe! Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay but it has left me very confused. Our breakfast bar is open from 6AM until 10AM daily. This is explained to all guests upon check in, it is listed in our breakfast area and it is listed in the rooms so it has left me wondering if you have the right hotel. I have also talked with our Maintenance Manager to ask about any guest rooms that might have had a heating issue or a problem with their remote and he was not called to any room. Our TV's have been newly installed with digital boxes and all remotes have been replaced in all rooms. Now having said that, there could certainly have been a bad one in the mix but nothing was reported to our staff. We have staff on duty 24 hours a day and always encourage our guests to let us know if we can assist in any way to ensure they have a very enjoyable stay with us. I apologize for any diffuculties you experienced during your stay and hope you have a chance to visit with us in the future to give us a chance to show you our warm hospitality. Happy Holidays!

Been to Super 8 Moncton - Dieppe? Share your experiences!