“You have to stay at Wild Grass Lodge to best experience Kaziranga National Park” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wild Grass Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kaziranga National Park
Wild Grass Lodge
You added Wild Grass Lodge to your Saves list
Bochagaon,Kaziranga, Kaziranga National Park 786009, India   |
New Delhi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

The Kaziranga National Park is one of the best forest reserves in the world – and you have to stay at the Wild Grass Lodge for a truly satisfying and wholesome experience.

The architecture and landscaping of the property makes you feel a part of the forest even though you are in the villages surrounding the reserve. There is an old world charm about the place, rare to find nowadays. And their pricing will pleasantly surprise you. Book direct as agents tend to overcharge under the guise of a complete package.

* Service: Terrific. I asked for the best guides as I wanted to do some serious photography, and they made sure I got someone who knew his job. They even got me a vehicle to myself. For those who have been to such places in the past, there is nothing worse than being guided by someone who does not know his job. The other staff does a commendable job of keeping the place clean.
* Rooms: With their wooden décor, it is nothing short of charming and romantic. Even if it is not plush. You have comfortable beds, lounge chairs and electric points for charging appliances. Lighting is deliberately kept dim. Bathrooms have running hot and cold water. All the sheets and towels are very clean too.
* Location: Does not get better unless they allow them inside the forest – but that is out of bounds.
* Amenities: Very good guides and jeep / elephant safaris. An all day restaurant serving local and Chinese cuisines.
* Liked Best: The location, architecture, interiors and landscaping.
* Liked Least: You cannot grudge such locations.
* Food Quality: Very good. But order well in time; they need an hour to prepare meals. And still be willing to be patient.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2010

absolutely lovely lodge.
the staff were very friendly and helpfull without being over attentive, everything was arranged through the hotel, all our game drives and elephant safaris were booked with no fuss and we had a very pleasant stay at this lodge.
I was travelling alone to meet my girlfriend who had been working in Kaziranga and I had arranged for someone from Wildgrass to meet me at the airport and put me on the bus to Kaziranga, but when I arrived at Guwahati I was picked up and told that the MD was travelling to the lodge that day and would give me a lift. fantastic!
on arrival there was a mix up with our room and we ended up staying 1 night in the thatched cottage and then moving to the other cottage for the rest of our stay, but the staff were very appologetic, there was very little hastle for us and they only charged us the cheaper price.
both the cottages were really nice, very comfortable and quite charming.
it was quite central and a short jeep journey to any of the ranges.
the food was good and came in vast quantities.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Derbyshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2010

Having read previous reviews I went to the Wild Grass Lodge armed with a supply of snacks and no great expectations. How wrong was I! The room was clean, the beds very comfortable in an Indian way, and plenty of hot water for the bucket shower. My niece and I loved the food which was served more or less on time, and were grateful for the endless supply of tea and coffee as we chilled out on the verandah between numerous Park visits. The staff could not have been more smiley, and our Park guide was incredibly knowledgeable and helpful. And he spotted a Royal Bengal tiger for us which we watched for 10 minutes or so - a highlight of any holiday. We had two evenings of Assamese entertainment (no tip requested), and overall our visit was a most positive experience. By the way, I'm 64 years old and not in the habit of roughing it, so go there and enjoy it for what it is!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Martinsburg, West Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

The corner of the dining room where we ate smelled of cat urine; the circuit breaker for our room kept going off; there is no insulation between the floors--you could hear the people walking around upstairs and see the outside thru the cracks in the floor. There was hardly any flow to the shower; the place was not terribly clean, either. It looked as if the dining room floor had not been washed in years.
On the other hand, the food was pretty good, the proximity to Kaziranga was great and the guides were very good. The staff really tries, I think.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Kolkata
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

Nice rooms but with no heating and no portable heaters available. It was very cold so having no heating was a pain. Staff is friendly but food and facilities are extremely basic. The menu is limited and most things are unavailable. Overall, a very average experience.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
oman
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

Major attraction of Kaziranga is the Kaziranga national park and experiences of the unique flora and fauna of the Assam.
We had a great time in the wilds of kaziranga during our stay and Wild Grass Lodge played a major role by providing the most suitable naturalist to our requirements. He was a person with sound knowledge of many kinds of animals in the park as well as friendly and pleasant personality.
Generally staff is very attentive except very few of them.
We were given a cottage which is very nice from outside. I too believe that they can improve the interiors of the rooms and especially toilets which we were compromised with the quality of services and public relations they maintained.
Food is average and for us some of the dishes gave new culinary experience. Still I enjoyed the variety and different tastes of the regional dishes. The unpleasant side was though we reminded them many times in advance always delayed to serve the meals. That was the most annoying factor for us as we were always in a hurry to be at park entrance on time.
We had a great time in kaziranga including fruitful six safaris and a fabulous elephant ride which visitor should never miss. Our stay was extremely relaxed and it was a perfect holiday for wildlife enthusiastic.
You can’t expect good medical facilities in this area and we couldn’t find even a reasonable drug store. Therefore better be aware and carry necessary basic medical aid with you.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2009

I stayed here in early November and asked for a cottage in order to get some peace and quiet. The cottage was quaint and a little shabby, but very spacious. It was also unbelievably damp - so damp that the pages in my books started to curl ! This may be a result of coming early in the season - I can't comment if things dry out during the dry season. Arrangements were made via email and the owner, a Mr Barua, was amazingly helpful and accommodating.

The hotel is located in charming gardens, with 2 or 3 cottages on one side, the main dining room, kitchen and reception in the middle and 2 blocks of rooms behind that. The staff are locals and their english is minimal, but they are very friendly and helpful. The hotel organised my safaris and my guide was excellent. He even helped me break into my bag when the padlock jammed shut !

What let the hotel down was the quality of the food - it was abysmal. It was so bad that I lived on bolied eggs and toast for my second day there. I don't think i was being fussy - other guests told me that they struggled to eat the food and were living on muesli bars and apples, and an Indian friend of mine who lives in the area said he never ate at the hotel because the food was so bad. It's a shame because i think they have the makings of a great little lodge, but things like the dampness and the food need to be addressed.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo

Been to Wild Grass Lodge? Share your experiences!