“The best I have been to in Assam” 5 of 5 stars

You added IORA - The Retreat,Kaziranga to your Saves list
IORA - The Retreat,Kaziranga
Bogorjuri, Kaziranga National Park 785109, India   |
Munich, Germany
“The best I have been to in Assam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2010

I travelled to Kaziranga with family and was amazed to see the development in terms of resorts in the last couple of years. Iora was beyond our expectations, since everything was meticulously managed. From the delicious food to well landscaped surroundings it was a pleasure.

I am sure it being the "peak season" helped matters, but the rooms were massive and the evening entertainment and bonfire a lot of fun. And every room even has a balcony! I loved the superior rooms (the 2nd category, not sure what they are called) as the high ceiligns were wonderful. The manager was very helpful and helped us secure rooms at the very last moment. I mention this because the other resorts we called, simply hung up on us.

I was blown away with the service of the staff even when the hotel was running at its full capacity. Woud definitely visit again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Gurgaon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

We loved the Iora resort for its excellent service, great food, good bar, cleanliness and general feel of the place. The rooms are nice, very clean and the sit-out area a bonus.
Apart from Kaziranga, just near the resort is also a small tea estate, which is good for those wanting to be on their own with nature for company.
As we visited in December, it was kind of cold and though mobile heaters were provided, we would've liked a better heating system.
The jeep safari to the park was fine, but we missed the elephant safari - am told those are generally overbooked. As these are operated by the government, not sure if the resort can do much on this front, but being on an elephant would've been the icing on the cake vis-a-vis our Kaziranga experience.

• Liked — Clean, well-lit
  • Disliked — heating
  • Stayed December 2009
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
dibrugarh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

A great place to stay with amenities and rooms equivalent to any 5 star hotel at one third the price. The rooms are pretty massive for a hotel and each room has a balcony. The food servings are enormous, delicious and they have the choicest continental which is the best I have had in Assam. The food was definitely a pleasant surprise.

There was a wonderful ethnic dance program, along with the bonfire and service of food
and beverage in the garden even at 10 pm (in the middle of a winter night). The bathroom had abundant hot water, which is a rarity since most hotels in Assam or in general India, provide only a geyser to heat water in each room.

We were a big group of 17 and had member who had visited resorts all over the world including Kenya and South Africa (other wildlife resorts) and they all loved this place.

A great stay and will come again very soon.

Also we spotted a tiger in the national park!

Gurgaon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2009

I have been to many resorts across India, and so I think I am in a good position to compare the services of Iora with the others. I felt that the service is dismal, awfully slow and highly mis-managed. I categorically informed that we were in a hurry and so would like to finish lunch as soon as possible - and can you imagine - they bring all the food and keep it aside right infront of us, and do not serve us. Why? Because there were no serving spoons on any of the dishes! It took quite a while to grab someone and ask him to serve the food fast. He then goes and informs it to somebody else, who is busy filling orders. After he completes the filling of orders, he goes and fetches the serving spoons and then we finally get our food. So much for informing them that we needed a fast lunch!

On top of that, after the food I asked the waiter to bring the bill asap. He takes ages!! we almost missed our Kaziranga trip because of him. Then I stormed inside the billing room and was a spectator to a tussle going on between the waiter and the person who produces computer bills. I told them that I was really late and I want to know the reason why it is taking them so long. You know what the waiter tells me - You should not come in here, being a gentleman!! The billing person then tells me a figure which I paid without a question, and the waiter tells the other guy in Assamese - It is your problem if anything is wrong in the amount ok? - Hey , what's going on here??
Well, I didn't have time to take it to the management, but I want to warn all the aspiring visitors that there might be big surprises awaiting you!

Bamun
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2009

We found the Iora rooms to be clean and comfortable but highly overpriced given its small size and non presence of bathtub.

Though the restaurent is spacious and airy, the food is terrible. The breakfast is inclusive but made to order and was served cold. And, if you see how much you are paying for a simple dish, one would agree that everything is highly overpriced and yet tastes horrible.

We wanted to change the tv brightness/contrast setting but remote was not there and when contacted management did not provide for it. On top of that CNN BBC are not available, which is ridiculus given their exorbitant tariff.

The front office stuff is rude ,during the stay they did not greet us even once while crossing their desk on way to the park or while coming back. Even the GM's conduct / misbehavior was incredible as he did not have the basic courtesy to stand up and greet hotel guest coming to speak to him.

For the kind of money they are charging and GM / staff's bad behavior, we would not like to visit the place again and would not recommend it to anyone who understands the meaning of true service.

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Duisburg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2009

Just came back from an incredible long weekend I spent at the IORA & the Kaziranga Nationalpark.
Location of the resort could not be better - about 5 min drive the the entrance of the central zone of the park, maybe abt 20 min to both, the western and eastern zone's entrance.
booking, through the contracts from tripadvisor, went smooth - we went for a 4d / 3n package with 4 jeep- and 1 elephant-safari, organisation was perfect, no single flaw there.
The resort itself was up to the mark, the rooms were nice, clean and spacious with balconies, the restaurant was serving nice food (irrespective whether or not things were listed on the menu, the chef offered all cuisines / dishes possible)
Staff was very accommodating and attentive.
All in all, five out of five in all aspects for a wildlife lodge

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Faridabad, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

We stayed at IORA while visiting the Kaziranga national park in April, 2009. The hotel is awesome with great rooms and service. The food at the restaurant is excellent with multipal cousines.
The room service is about average but the over all experience is excellent.

• Liked — Food
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to IORA - The Retreat,Kaziranga? Share your experiences!