I decided to stay at Rydges Bell City due to a convenient location for a funeral and a good internet deal through expedia. I found reading the reviews were helpful to iron out the quirks. This hotel passes my 'would I stay here again' test.
I needed an early check in to freshen up prior to attending a funeral. I made this request on the internet and phoned the night before and this was arranged with no issues. Upon arrival I found it hard to find reception and where to park whilst booking in. Finally parking in a side street some distance from reception. I checked in with a polite lady who asked why I was in town, when I said I was there for a good friends funeral, she replied along the lines "that's good you will have an excellent time then" I think the look of shock on my face might have indicated that she got it a bit wrong and when she realised her error was apologetic. I also had free parking and breakfast on my deal which seemed to be a mystery to the lady, but sorted it with little fuss. Check in should be seemless. I carted all my bags/suits etc up to my room on the fifth floor and my card didn't work in the door. Time was ticking and I had a role in the funeral, I didn't have time to waste. I asked one of the house keeping guests to help me into the room as my card didn't work. She replied to me to ring reception, well hello if I could get into the room to ring, I didn't need reception. When this logistical impossibility was pointed out, she rang reception from the room she was cleaning next door. Reception told her to tell me to go back downstairs to sort it out. Management if you are reading this feel my frustration that I had to cart all my stuff back to reception and then back to my room. Finally I got into my room. My first impressions were good, it had a really nice feel, I like the window seats a lot. I was hoping for a quick freshen up shower, I had been on the road since 5am and it was 39oC, but with all the time wasting there wasn't time. After the days events I arrived back at the hotel and went to Chill for a quick burger and a glass of wine. The burger consisted of cheap bun, meat, lettuce, tomato and caramalised onion, I reckon that a slice of cheese, beetroot something would have made it a lot more interesting. The cost of this could be alleviated by reducing the big serve of fries. It was late in the evening, a mix of patrons, from steroid abusers to business women. I had a good night sleep the bed was comfy etc. I wasn't sure where the buffet breakfast was held, not even in the hotel info. I found it at Chill. Upon arrival the lady said to me "room number" and that's all. Not even "have you been here before" or "there is the food/coffee". Talk about coffee, it was next to cold in the thermos dispensers. The food was lovely and as good as I have had elsewhere. I had a paper on my table and an empty bowl, two cups, plate. I lost count of the amount of times that the waitress walked past my table with empty hands whilst setting up the tables for the next service. There were only two people in at that time and I guess it doesn't matter if the empty plates are taken immediately or not, but other hotels do and it is a nice touch. Now if you are still with me. The room I was in lacked a long term clean. Nothing has been moved in recent times to dust/clean etc. I bent down to plug in my phone charger and found someone elses dirty tissue behind the bed side table. Upon leaving level 3 of the underground car park I heard voices and smelt cigarette smoke. It appears that the staff have a little nook set up for smoking. Not a good look for the hotel, not to mention a fire risk 3 levels underground. I got a good deal on the net, I got what I paid for, I would stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bell City is a hotel complex like no other. Our accommodation options range from the luxurious and sleek open-plan studios to extremely affordable and comfortable budget rooms with access to extensive resort-style facilities. No matter what your budget, Bell City has you covered. With multiple bars and restaurants on site, Bell City has dining and entertainment options for every occasion. Rydges Hotel & Residences Bell City offers luxurious 4.5 star stylish and spacious Manhattan-style open plan 1 & 2 bed studios. All Rydges Hotel rooms feature the Rydges 'Dream Bed', self-contained kitchenettes, lounge and dining area, LCD TV, Foxtel, high speed internet, and stunning views of Melbourne and surrounds. Location: Bell City is perfectly located for any traveller wanting to explore Melbourne’s fashionable inner north just 20 minutes from the CBD and 15 minutes from Tullamarine airport. Access to the city, major hospitals, universities, and inner suburbs is simple, with tram, train and bus stops all within minutes of the hotel. Jump on the 86 tram for quick access to the fantastic eateries and chic stores of the Smith Street, Gertrude Street and Brunswick Street precincts in Fitzroy, head another couple of stops to the Carlton Gardens and Melbourne Museum, or stay on for the full trip to Etihad Stadium and Docklands. Take the train through the scenic Merri Creek reserve straight to the MCG, or continue on to the city for great shopping and even better coffee in its myriad hidden laneways. High Street’s bars, cafes and boutique stores are within easy reach. Local icons include the hip Northcote Social club and the beautiful art deco Westgarth Cinema. Dine in nearby Lygon Street, boasting the finest coffee and Italian restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, HotelTravel.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Venere, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Rydges Bell City Hotel & Residences reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rydges Bell City Hotel And Residences
- Bell City Hotel Residences
- Bell City Preston
- Rydges Bell City Hotel & Residences Preston, Greater Melbourne