“Epic and Awesome” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges Bell City Hotel & Residences

Save Saved
You added Rydges Bell City Hotel & Residences to your Saves list
Rydges Bell City Hotel & Residences
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   215 Bell Street, Preston, Darebin, Victoria 3072, Australia   |
Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Preston
Brisbane, Australia
“Epic and Awesome”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

This is my second stay here in this hotel and I loved it. The viewing of the city on level 7 was awe-inspiring and was so great too look at, especially at night when the city lights are on. Superb!
The rooms were nice and clean and the sleep quality was dreamy!

Car parking underground is a safe and hidden way to keep your cars from any burglars and thieves (especially when you go to the fourth floor its amazing how much underground you are).

Two concerns with this hotel is that the room I booked had the dishwasher leaking water and it wet the carpet and the place. Please fix those awful dishwashers as they are not suitable for a hotel like this one. Also soft close toilet seats are needed to reduce the sound made when closing the lids and making that loud bang.

The buffet breakfast we had was not the type I expected it to be. We got free buffet coupons after the dishwasher incident. The buffet needs to be expanded more and some of the staff were a bit rude at the hotel we stayed. But the food isn't that much of my concern but the dishwashers were.

Overall I would definitely come back to stay as long as those dishwashers are gone!

Room Tip: Book a room on the sixth or seventh floor viewing the city so you can view Melbourne City!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
MgrBellCity, Marketing Coordinator at Rydges Bell City Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Hi Fawful X,

Thank you for your epically awesome review of your stay here at Rydges Bell City, we enjoyed reading it. Your tip for a seventh floor room is a great one, and we hope that you are back again soon to enjoy it again. Our maintenance team is looking into the dishwasher issue you experienced, and rectifying it. Look forward to having you stay with us again.

250 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Lorne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

I was worried after reading some of the other reviews but went ahead and booked due to convenience of locality. I was very happy with the room - a Manhattan Queen Room with cooking facilities. The room was quiet, had views of the city, was clean, bed was comfy, air conditioning good to have, decor was pleasant, bathroom fine, good toiletries, good coffee (for instant coffee anyway, as it was Moccona). There were no indications of hauntings as suggested in other reviews! Services provided at the front desk including check-in and check-out were helpful friendly and efficient. Parking was a breeze and although parking is an extra charge it is minimal. I didn't eat there so can't comment on food, If I was to make any constructive criticism I would say the oven is too high, being in an overhead cupboard. I would need a step ladder to use it. This was not a problem for me as I didn't cook - was only staying overnight. Yes I would stay again. Thanks!

Room Tip: My south wing room had a view of city and was quiet. There is a construction site below, but being...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
MgrBellCity, Marketing Coordinator at Rydges Bell City Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Hi TracyinVic,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, we are so pleased to hear that you had a great stay (and also to hear that you experienced no haunting!). We will pass the lovely feedback on to our front of house staff. Hopefully next time you stay with us you will have the opportunity to dine at one of our in house restaurants, and experience the great seasonal menu’s our executive chef, Tony Baker, designs. Looking forward to having you back!

Bendigo, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I have stayed here many years ago and found the rooms to be very large and spacious. I enjoy having a room with a kitchenette which mine did. I found the window furniture very good with two stage blinds, one for general privacy and a second for light block out which can aide in sleep ins.
The bed was very comfortable and I could not fault the sleep comfort.
There was a reverse cycle heater in the room which, once I figured out the modes, kept the room quite comfortable temperature wise.
I had a mini bar which was emptied so I could store my own beverages in which was large enough for many items.
The shower was little bit old school and close to the toilet in the same are which meant water from the shower pooled around the toilet floor area. A little bit dangerous if you go to the toilet during the night with potential slip danger but I always dry up the water with the bath mat and towel which were changed daily. The shower however was large and the water head allowed good water flow. I love my showers and this is important to me.
Nice LED TV which could be rotated to be viewed anywhere in the room.
Breakfast at Chill was very nice with a good spread of cooked bacon/eggs and trimmings and a comfortable area to eat it in.
I did also visit the gym which could do with a little upgrade but compared to some hotels I have stayed it did the job of filling in some down time and burning off a few bevvies (beer)
The lifts were a little bit slow and lacking for the number of rooms and floors but as it was an old hospital you can't really blame the hotel as they could only work with what was available. I didn't mind taking the steps a few flights. (Burn off a few more frothies)
Overall I can honestly say that I enjoyed my stay. I have stayed in many hotels from 5 star to 2 star or unrated and find it is always what you make of it. At the end of the day as long as it's a good bed, good shower and good grub, it gets my thumbs up.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Hi KevHC,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, we appreciate the feedback. We have passed the great comments on to the respective departments, and have taken note of your comment regarding the safety in the showers. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Greater Adelaide, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

Stay clear of this hotel unless you want to be treated poorly, stay in a filthy room that is not cleaned properly and be ripped off with room rates.
This hotel has no interest in keeping a customer satisfied which is quite apparent from when you first enter the establishment.
I have stayed in hotels all around the world and by far this is the worst I have ever come across.
The salon downstairs also lacks any customer service and did such a poor job with hair and make up I ended up redoing it all myself.
I also had family staying there and they also had issues with the rooms and booking prices / charged prices.

• Stayed November 2013
MgrBellCity, Marketing Coordinator at Rydges Bell City Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Hi Katebeks,

We were very concerned to hear that your experience at Rydges Bell City appears not to be of our usual high standard, and we would like to understand more about your stay. Unfortunately the Salon you experienced is not actually run by or affiliated with our hotel, it is a private business that leases space in the complex (as a number of companies do), and while we apologise for your negative experience there, we will need to pass the feedback on to the salon manager. Please contact tim_glass@bellcity.com.au to further explain your stay, so that we are able to address the issues and ensure they are not repeated. We hope to have the opportunity to provide you will a fantastic stay should you choose to stay with us again.

Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

I had a a great big room on a high floor with floor to ceiling windows. It was cold! Apart from that little detail I found this hotel - a former hospital that has been converted - to be terrific accommodation. My room had a kitchenette, the bed was comfortable and the furnishings contemporary and smart. The check in/out service however was terrible.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Rhianon D, Marketing Coordinator at Rydges Bell City Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Hi WernMachine,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, we really enjoyed reading your positive feedback. The issue you experienced with the temperature concerned us, and we hope that the heating in your room was able to overcome this. We are addressing our front desk team to uncover where the service was not optimal. Hope to see you with us again soon!

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

We stayed here for two months when we relocated to Melbourne, and I'd recommend it to anyone doing so -- the price was very reasonable and allowed us to take our time apartment hunting. The free shuttle service to the city in the mornings and afternoons is very convenient, and I even saw some guests get offered lifts to the train station a few times.

The 86 tram is a 2-minute walk away, but can take a fair while to get downtown. The train is slightly further (under 1km walk) but is faster.

The staff in all areas of the hotel were always really pleasant and polite when we spoke to them, and had no problems helping us out with various little things ("can we borrow some tape? would you mind stapling this for me? which train goes to blah blah blah?").

We were on the second floor facing west (toward Bell St, which is quite a busy road) and the road noise was not an issue for us at all. We tended to sleep with the window open too, since we like fresh air. The windows are huge, which sometimes meant the room got a little warm since it faced west, but nothing the AC didn't knock down in a few minutes.

My only complaint would be that the bed got a little much for me after two months -- the springs were a bit saggy and the mattress is probably due for replacing soon. Not a huge issue but one that management might like to keep an eye on as the beds get older.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east-facing side of the west wing would probably be a good bet. West-facing gets some m...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Rhianon D, Marketing Coordinator at Rydges Bell City Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Hi Jeshhh,

Thank you for the lovely review, we are really happy that you had a great stay here during your relocation. Amy, Kim and the Residences team loved your tips and recommendations, and wish you a happy housewarming for your new place! We've taken on board your bed suggestion, and have noted to check our ordering schedule, thank you. Looking forward to accommodating any friends or relatives that come to visit you in your new city.

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We chose this hotel as it was closest to family. Prior to check-in I requested a room with floor to ceiling windows above the 5th floor and was told that they had a few available so it shouldn't be a problem. Upon check-in we were given the 5th floor which did not have floor to ceiling windows (supposedly only rooms above the 5th floor have these) and a room with a large cement pillar smack bang in the middle of the room blocking the view. I then told reception my previous request only to be told that they were fully booked and to check back in tomorrow, I did this and once again was told to come back, this then happened again twice and I was finally moved to the 6th floor south wing. Although the view wasn't great (could only see construction) i guess i got what i asked for. Both rooms were nice although the second room was larger, the bathroom was slightly bigger and the appliances were of better quality. The buffet breakfast was worth the extra cost and overall the hotel was okay. Would still go back because it is the most convenient and is decent enough for a short stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Rhianon D, Marketing Coordinator at Rydges Bell City Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Hi Della A,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your stay with us, we appreciate it. We sincerely apologise for your room requests not going to plan, we are looking further into to how this could have happened, and how we can prevent the mishap again in the future. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the room amenities, and had a chance to try our buffet breakfast. Looking forward to your next stay with us.

Hotel Managment

Been to Rydges Bell City Hotel & Residences? Share your experiences!