Our recent visit to Rydges Bell City was our second stay as family live nearby and the location is ideal for our purposes. The room rate was very reasonable for Melbourne, in part due to discounts for being a Rydges Priority member and for staying a minimum of 3 nights.
The hotel has been converted from a hospital building and there are some issues with the layout of the rooms, in particular the bathroom which is very small and poorly designed. However, the rest of the Manhattan Studio Room is spacious, the kitchenette adequate and the views magnificent. We have eaten several times in Chill Restaurant and found the staff friendly and the food good and reasonably priced. JDs Diner is less impressive with noisy televisions and ordinary food.
On our first visit to Bell City our sleep was disturbed by traffic noises from Bell St so this time we asked for a room away from the traffic noise which was much quieter. Unfortunately, our sleep was again disturbed, this time by the testing of the loud speaker system at 9am on Friday morning (no mention of this when we checked in) and by inconsiderate guests who had a party on Saturday night of the floor above us. Despite a call to reception the noise continued and only stopped after I personally approached the night staff in my pjs. The hotel offers long stay apartments as well as short-term accommodation and it would seem that some guests view the hotel as a home from home.
In addition to the noise problems, we had issues with the cleanliness of our room. The shower leaked and there was a musty smell in the room due to the damp carpet. There were also inconsistencies in the standards of servicing. Some days our room was spotless but on one occasion it was only partly serviced, the bed unmade and the floor dirty.
Bell City is a huge hotel complex (800+) beds and there seems to be a lack of consistency in service and maintenance which should be addressed if it is to be worthy of its 4 star rating. We will return as it is so convenient and hope some of these issues are addressed for our future visits.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bell City is a hotel complex like no other. Our accommodation options range from the luxurious and sleek open-plan studios to extremely affordable and comfortable budget rooms with access to extensive resort-style facilities. No matter what your budget, Bell City has you covered. With multiple bars and restaurants on site, Bell City has dining and entertainment options for every occasion. Rydges Hotel & Residences Bell City offers luxurious 4.5 star stylish and spacious Manhattan-style open plan 1 & 2 bed studios. All Rydges Hotel rooms feature the Rydges 'Dream Bed', self-contained kitchenettes, lounge and dining area, LCD TV, Foxtel, high speed internet, and stunning views of Melbourne and surrounds. Location: Bell City is perfectly located for any traveller wanting to explore Melbourne’s fashionable inner north just 20 minutes from the CBD and 15 minutes from Tullamarine airport. Access to the city, major hospitals, universities, and inner suburbs is simple, with tram, train and bus stops all within minutes of the hotel. Jump on the 86 tram for quick access to the fantastic eateries and chic stores of the Smith Street, Gertrude Street and Brunswick Street precincts in Fitzroy, head another couple of stops to the Carlton Gardens and Melbourne Museum, or stay on for the full trip to Etihad Stadium and Docklands. Take the train through the scenic Merri Creek reserve straight to the MCG, or continue on to the city for great shopping and even better coffee in its myriad hidden laneways. High Street’s bars, cafes and boutique stores are within easy reach. Local icons include the hip Northcote Social club and the beautiful art deco Westgarth Cinema. Dine in nearby Lygon Street, boasting the finest coffee and Italian restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, HotelTravel.com, Priceline, Despegar.com and Odigeo so you can book your Rydges Bell City Hotel & Residences reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rydges Bell City Hotel And Residences
- Bell City Hotel Residences
- Bell City Preston
- Rydges Bell City Hotel & Residences Preston, Greater Melbourne