“Well-located for NGV, Rod Laver Arena and Botanic Gardens” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Quest on Dorcas

Save Saved
You added Quest on Dorcas to your Saves list
Quest on Dorcas
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8 Dorcas Street, South Melbourne, Port Phillip, Victoria 3205, Australia   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in South Melbourne
“Well-located for NGV, Rod Laver Arena and Botanic Gardens”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

A modern, clean apartment hotel, well-located to visit Botanic Gardens, Rod Laver Arena and the National Gallery of Victoria. The rooms are well-appointed including a kitchenette with dishwasher. Two bedroom apartments comfortably fit two couples and we easily got parking right out the front (free in weekends). A no-fuss stay in a convenient location at a reasonable price.

• Stayed November 2012

51 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I felt compelled to leave a review for this Hotel/Apartment because I was so pleased with it.

Not only was the Hotel in a fantastic location with the beautiful Botanic Gardens at the end of the street for morning strolls (were you could also jump on a horse drawn carriage to tour the massive gardens or jump on a Tram and be in the heart of Melbourne CBD in just a couple of minutes), the staff were also very friendly, helpful and accommodating.
I thought I would mention that here is a fantastic little coffee shop a couple of doors down who make an awesome brew and a delicious snack also! (unfortunately they do not open on Sundays though) and there is a little bottle shop downstairs which I found convenient. :)

The self contained apartment I stayed in for 4 days was very quiet, comfortable, clean and well equipped. In fact the only 3 things I could fault it on was that firstly the shower badly lacked racks for your shower things. It only had one small soap holder so I had to put all my shampoo;s, cleansers etc on the floor of the shower.
Secondly, I would put a mark against the Hotel for not offering free, or for that matter ANY, wireless internet access.... it is 2012 after all and I am sure if McDonald's can cater to the needs of their customers than Quest can also.
Lastly, while the bed was very comfortable, I was disappointed with their pillows which were very flat and ended up giving me a sore neck but apart from these few let-downs, I would give this Hotel my full approval to any disconcerting traveller.... just take your own pillow, shower rack and internet! lol

Room Tip: I specifically asked for a quiet room and that is exactly what I was given which is great so don'...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Gold Coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

If you are looking to for a place to stay where you are accessible to everything, then this is the place to be. It was seriously the best!! The rooms were clean and of modern standard with fantastic city views and the apartments have everything you need. Even down to the minor little details of them leaving biscuits free of charge to have with your coffee was so awesome. The location was superb. It is 100m off St Kilda road, which means you are accessible to St Kilda, Chapel Street, and the CBD right at your door step. The trams leave right out the front pretty much. It is a short 10 minute walk to Southbank and the Crown casino and a 5 minute tram to the city. It also has an IAG and a Foodworks 100m around each corner and a bottle store right next door. This property does not have a restaurant or cafe however there is 3 that surround the property. As for the staff, they were absolutely fantastic. We were visiting from Queensland and didnt know too much. They recommended places to eat, made our dinner reservations, booked us taxis and were soooooo helpful!!! WE will be back here again for sure. Love it! ....and best of all it was great value for money!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Moama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

My Family and I enjoyed our stay. It would have been nice to spend a few more days to relax properly, rather than just the weekend.
My only request would be to have separate ACs in the bedrooms.
Other than that excellent

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds

LaurenPBerry, Manager at Quest on Dorcas, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Hi Gary

Thank you for your review. I'm really glad you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your suggestion in relation to an air conditioner in the bedroom, it is something I have passed onto our Director for consideration.

We hope to be able to welcome you back for a little more than a weekend on your next stay.

Best wishes
ACT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Well, it was a good stay with the family. The downsides did include staying while they were upgrading the electricity in the building, so imagine our surprise to have power cut off to the room when we woke up in the morning. While it was nice to have them let us know it would happen (on check-in) the night before, (sometime between 8am - 12ish pm?) it was a bit bad taste to do it while we were there, and not even help us in some way. So, I'm not incredibly happy with that stay. Accommodation was okay, have paid more for less - but paid less for more, so in all, will give an average rating to this place. Parking is 'interesting' since the bays are quite small. Won't stay here again once I have my new car (4x4.) won't fit in the bays.

Room Tip: Can't say the place is overall placed well, since access to the street is tricky, unless you com...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
LaurenPBerry, Manager at Quest on Dorcas, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Dear RaTTyRaTT

Thank you for your recent review of Quest on Dorcas. We do apologise for the inconvenience caused by the installation of smart meters on behalf of the Victorian Government. We tried our best to communicate when it would be occurring and limit the inconvenience to our guests, unfortunately we were not provided with exact times for each apartment, as it was conducted by an outside electricity provider for all 150 apartments. I hope any disruptions were kept to a minimum with power only being out for between 20-30 minutes, we are sorry that we couldn't offer further assistance.

The parking spaces on the lower levels can be a little tight, however, a quick tip for all those with larger vehicles who are the car park; head up to levels 6 & 7 as the car spaces are larger and more abundant on these floors. I will ensure that Reception staff are advised to communicate this to all guests on arrival.

We would love to welcome you back in future and hope we can provide you with the guest experience that we pride ourselves on.

Kind regards
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

I had three days of meetings in the St Kilda area, so used this property for two nights. I had a one bedroom apartment on the second floor - my unit faced the building across the side alley, but I wasn't there for the view, and it seemed to get less street noise. The unit was a good size, and had a fully equipped kitchen, lounge / dining, working desk with good light, and reasonable sized bedroom and bathroom. One quiet air-conditioner in the lounge was adequate to keep the whole unit comfortable. Everything in the unit worked as it should - a nice change from some of the "serviced apartments" I've had. The unit was, surprisingly, cleaned and had soaps, coffee etc replenished daily.

Check-in was easy and friendly, with helpful information about local facilities.

There is a coffee shop open for breakfast and a separate liquor store at street level, plus a licensed mini-supermarket 50m away.

There is a wide selection of restaurants within a 5 - 10 minute walk, and trams run regularly along St Kilda Road, just 50m away.

The only negative - using the in-house internet connection is very expensive; sign up for your own mobile connection before coming here. I would have given the property 5 stars if they hadn't been so greedy.

I will definitely stay here again when next in the area.

Room Tip: The lifts are slow; ask for a low floor if this is important to you. Higher floors do have views of...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Have stayed here before and this time (5 nights) the service was still excellent, the room clean and well furnished. The location is great for walking in the Botanical Gardens or into South Melbourne or to South Bank, but the tram stop on St Kilda Rd is two minutes away, if you wish to go further. There's plenty of food stores and coffee available around about. One negative would be that the room we had this time looked into the neighbouring building and so inside the apartment it was impossible to tell whether it was day or night. We really missed the great view we had on our previous visit. Another is that the lower the floor the noisier the car park gates in the middle of the night and the banging of the door to the car park. So if you can, try to get an apartment on a higher floor with a view. As far as returning to the property? Rooms with no outlook should have a cheaper tariff. Otherwise yes.

Room Tip: Ask for an apartment on a higher floor with a view.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Lauren D, Manager at Quest on Dorcas, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Dear helsaAustralia

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate all information provided back to us. I am glad you have had the chance to stay in one of our city view apartments. We do only have 3 of these wonderful apartments and they are charged at a much higher tariff than our Executive apartments, however, from time to time we do upgrade our guests to these rooms.

In relation to the car park doors, your feedback was invaluable and we have already spoken to the Building Manager in relation to having these gates serviced.

We hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Best wishes

Property Manager

Been to Quest on Dorcas? Share your experiences!