“Really good food and a surprisingly reasonable bill” 5 of 5 stars

01924 262077
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Millers Bar & Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 31 Restaurants in Ossett
Cuisines: European, English, French, Gastropub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Really good food and a surprisingly reasonable bill”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

We went to the millers to celebrate our wedding anniversary. I ordered a lovely wild mushroom and Rockfort dressing bruschetta and my husband had the mixed hor oeuvres. Very pleasant start. But the main was outstanding. Rump lamb steak that just melted and was so tasty. Good portions of vegetables that were cooked beautifully. My husband had the game pie which he really enjoyed but made a comment that the meat was slightly dry. Good wine accompanied the meal. We pushed the boat out to enjoy a dessert as the menu looked so good. I had the homemade cheesecake which was gorgeous but my husbands dessert trumped mine. It was like an Eton mess but better and I would certainly recommend this for anyone with a sweet tooth. We like to play a game of guess the bill. I normally win....but we both guessed at around £90 and was stunned when it came to just £70. This is really good value and I hope the millers don't get greedy and put up their prices. I think they've got it just right. The pub below was absolutely chokka block. This place is definitely doing something right. Would certainly recommend it.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Manchester
“We nearly missed it - but loved it.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We were looking for a restuarant to take a great aunt for dinner and found Miller's on the internet. We nearly turned round and went home when we saw the rather industrial look of the area but the pub itself looked fine so we went in. It was wonderful - photos of the local area and past industry and a fantastic choice of real ales. The restaurant was another surprise. The old Ossett Brewery had been sympathetically modernised. It was very light, beautifully colour co-ordinated.

The food was good too although the service could have been "tighter". I would definitely recommend the chicken with pancetta, roasted mediterranean vegetables, warm pesto and balsamic glaze. The puddings were impressive with large servings and the early evening, fixed price menu was very good value.

Miller's reputation is clearly getting around as it was full and seems perfect as a place for family celebrations as well as quiet romantic meals. We will certainly be back.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Rotherham, United Kingdom
“One of the best meals I've had - what a gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I visited Millers recently with my parents (who live near Leeds) and my boyfriend (we live in Rotherham). We wanted somewhere to meet for Sunday lunch that was roughly halfway between us and so I turned to Trip Advisor to help with my search.

Millers Bar & Restaurant is above a pub at the end of a dead-end road, with no signage or indication that you're at the right place. My parents thought they had put the wrong postcode into their sat nav, and my boyfriend and I wandered into the pub and got a tad lost before finding the restaurant. It's a shame as I'd love for more people to know about this place! There were only two other occupied tables when we arrived and towards the end of our meal we were the only table.

We had a drink outside before heading in to get our reservation. We were seated in the bar area to peruse the menus. There was a Sunday Lunch menu and a few additional items on the special boards. Being a vegetarian I panicked when I couldn't see a vegetarian option on the menu or specials board but I asked the waitress who filled me in. My Dad didn't want a roast but luckily he was happy with the steak and ale pie option on offer.

Normally (as a vegetarian) I wouldn't be happy with the choice of two starters and only one main meal but the starters (I went for the mushroom bruschetta) and the main of feta cheese and vegetable wellington sounded perfect!

We were given olives, bread and a garlic dip while we waited for our starters which was a nice touch. The rest of the food that followed all went down an absolute treat. Our mains were served with chips, roast potatoes and plenty of veg and there was more than enough for the 4 of us. My feta and vegetable wellington is one of the nicest things I've ever eaten, helped by the tasty sauce it came with.

There is a small pudding menu which we all took advantage of before heading home feeling extremely full but pleased with our tasty food and the good value. We all commented on how reasonable the bill was to say how much food we consumed!

We really liked the decor of the restaurant and the air con which made us feel perfectly cool considering the heat wave outside. The exposed brickwork and the luxurious feel of the crockery and decor made for a great experience.

If I had to give any criticism it would be that our waitress, although professional and polite, could have been a tad friendlier/chattier.

We will be back!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Europe
“A hidden gem - try it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Who'd have thought that upstairs at this busy traditional pub is a very impressive restaurant. The menu is varied & tempting, the service professional, & the decor is particularly pleasing - as smart as anything you'd find in a pricey city restaurant. And the food? It's very good indeed. Six of us had dinner here, sampling quite a lot of the menu, & we really couldn't fault anything. A lot of thought has gone into the place, from the comfortable seating to the quality china & linen, this attention to detail makes for a really enjoyable dining experience.

• Visited July 2013
“Off the beaten track.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Visited this restaurant for the first time after reading reviews on tripadvisor. I must admit it is in a rather unusual position being at the end of a dead end road! We were therefore surprised to see how full the pub below was and also the restaurant. Obviously word of mouth has worked for this very good eatery. We had three courses, but before the starter we were given a small Yorkshire pudding in a delicious gravy, which we thought was a nice touch. Our starters were equally lovely. Also our mains were delicious, I went for chicken, my husband for steak, our plates were removed as soon as each course was finished, our young waitress and waiter were very efficient. My husband had a coffee cheesecake from the specials board and I had their version of Eton Mess, both great, really large portions. Our only criticism would be the really strong smell of fish cooking which came into the restaurant a couple of times, but that's me being picky. The food and service was without fault, keep up the good work, we will come again.

• Visited June 2013