“great oceanfront location, not the ritz” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Colombus

Save Saved
You added Hotel Colombus to your Saves list
Hotel Colombus
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Carr# 441 KM. 1.5 Bo. Carrizales, Aguada 00602, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Aguada
Monument, Colorado
“great oceanfront location, not the ritz”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We had a very enjoyable vacation here. While the older building has its challenges, the room we had overlooked the ocean, at high tide you could jump right into the water if you wanted. Very clean rooms, but no washcloths, towel racks, or curtains. Our first room had a plumbing problem and Freddy, who is a great hands on owner, moved us right away to another room. He also provided us with hangers for the closet and pretty much anything we asked for. Freddy runs the place and lives there with his family, so our son had fun playing with Freddy's kids on the swingset in the courtyard.
Its a very old, smaller building that Freddy is working hard to upgrade and keep up. He also runs the restaurant and bar, which has good food with tables overlooking the ocean, but if its crowded Freddy has trouble keeping up if he's alone at the whole place; sometimes he has some friendly locals who lend a hand adding to the homey feel of the place.
We came to hang out on the beach and surf, which we did in the town of rincon a few minutes away. The area right next to the hotel is very quiet and the beaches not as nice as in rincon. Also did a day trip to the beaches in aguadilla, which were fun.
Prices were pretty high I thought for a "indigenous" place, but we were there during a popular weekend and most hotels in the area were sold out.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Leesburg, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We were put on a first floor room because we had arrived early in the morning and my husband is partially disable and unable to climb stairs. The room they put us on was clean, but there was no closet, no washcloths, no mirrors. We didn't even had a glass of any kind to rinse our mouth after brushing our teeth. The mattress and pillows were tough. The windows had no blinds or shutters, just see through flimsy curtains. The following day we compained to the owner of the hotel about the room , who also runs the hotel. He did put us on a better room overlooking the ocean.

On the good side. The owner was very polite and did his best to accommodate us. The Hotel is under renovation and Mr.Torres (the owner) is slowly trying to do the repairs himself.

The town is in a very quiet part of town and away from the city crime. We stayed at the hotel for a short time. Our trip was to attend a family funeral and didn't get a chance to explore the town. The town did seem quiet and the weather was beautiful.

What we like the best, was the second room they gave us had a beautiful panoramic view of the ocean.

On our next leisure trip to Puerto Rico we, will more likely stay at this hotel because of the ocean view it offers, the location and the courtesy shown to us by Mr. Torres. Besides, the hotel rooms should be in better condition because of the renovation the owner has been presently working on.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Lucky me I booked room at this great hotel. Came to PR for friend of mine wedding and searched for inexpensive place to stay for few nights. Place was wonderful for this kinda money; clean, on the beach and greatest food in the island! Also service was the best; Freddy took special care of every need and detail and his wife cooked fantastic food! Also thanks to Steve, the caretaker for great company! This is full service hotel for sure. I stayed at bigger chain hotel for one night before coming to Colombus and that was waste of double the money I spend here. Personal service you get at Colombus is top notch! Everybody was amazingly friendly and your stress "peels" away right at the door! Having cocktail and watching sunset at the terrace right at the ocean, what else you need? That's PR baby!!!

PS. highly recommend seafood salad at restaurant Atlantis or octopus or beans and rice or...it smelled like great food there all the time! Freddy also gets his lobsters from his own fisherman "right out of the water" fresh daily. I saw beautiful lobsters coming in my first morning there!

So don't waste your money anywhere else. Book your stay at Colombus and let Freddy take care of everything so you can relax and enjoy PR!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

I pass the best weekend of my life in this place,Great view owner Freddy is great a great host I loved the amazing food I want to go back ASAP and the price for the rooms was a great price it's a great hotel. The best part he look just like my dad so It feel like i wasn't to far from home.

• Stayed March 2013
US
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Damn where do I start? Freddy he's the man, my girlfriend and I show up close to midnight, thinking to our self "oh crap, it's late, there going to be pissed we didn't show up earlier". Hell no! we walk through those double doors like a pair of hammered slothes from a half day of travelling, and there's Freddy at the bar. Dude looks at us and our bags and goes straight to the front desk. Next thing I know he has our room key waiting for us. No kidding took less than 2 minutes, but oh wait our room was already booked. Did he flinch, hell no! "Hey we upgraded you guys, no extra charge". This wasn't just any upgrade, this was a damn upgrade for a king. After we unpack our luggage, we had back to the bar. With quick bartending skills Freddy pops the top of two beautifully cold and refreshing beers for me and my girlfriend. Now that day wasn't any other day it was my 22nd birthday, and after saving up like crazy for this trip I finally had the cash to go crazy in my country. What Freddy do when he herd it was my birthday? He just poured me a tough as nails shot, on the house! For the next 10 days he and his incredible staff were always there to give assistance. Hell, the'll even do your laundry! Your dirty laundry is no concern for them! Plus their food is amazing. I wanted to show my girlfriend good Puerto Rican cuisine, she just stuffed whatever came on her plate down in her throught. 11/10 I would come back to the Hotel Colombus.
P.S. the security guard that comes at night is a very friendly and sociable person. Seriously every body at this hotel was freaking friendly.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Three friends and I missed our flight back to NY and our Cab driver Dario suggested we stay at the Hotel Colombus. He said the prices were better and it is right on the beach. I was thinking, what the heck, at least it's somewhere until tomorrow. Boy, I did not expect to find a place where everything was perfect. The rooms are beautiful and the food is really good. But Freddie is the best! His hospitality is 5 star and he treats his guests like family. I am returning to PR in June and will spend much more than a night at Hotel Colombus. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Stay in the room overlooking the water. Not only is it beautiful and clean, but the sleep you get l...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Talk about personable experience! We stayed at the Hotel Colombus for a few days and had a great experience. The restaurant food was good, breakfast was delicious, bar drinks were great and the location, on the water is fantastic.

The most distinguishing, however, was Freddy, the most friendly, helpful, and giving hotel owner. It was a pleasure chatting with him, as he is just a good, accommodating person. Each guest at the hotel had equally fantastic experiences with him, as he just aims to please.

Our apartment-style room was incredibly spacious and had a wall of window, literally, over the water. The sound of the waves was incredibly peaceful.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Colombus? Share your experiences!