“Definitely avoid this place” 1 of 5 stars
Review of That's the Magic of it Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Aguada
That's the Magic of it Guest House
Save Saved
You added That's the Magic of it Guest House to your Saves list
BO Guaniquilla Buz. A-492, Aguada 00602, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Aguada B&B and Inns
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Definitely avoid this place”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

I had a VERY similar experience with this place as Sean below. I stayed here one night in mid-February 2012.

The map is incorrect, and it took me about two hours to find the place. I called the owner multiple times and left voice mails, but he never called me back. I finally got lucky when I stopped at a food kiosk on the corner just two buildings away and one person there knew what I was talking about.

The man took me to a bar, which had a local, run-down feel (definitely not a touristy area). A guy at the bar asked me to wait, which I did for about 15 minutes while he got on the phone with someone and then disappeared. Then a young man came out and indicated I should follow him to the building next door and go upstairs. (I didn't see anything that indicated the place was a B&B... and it certainly didn't look like one.) He did not speak any English and could not answer any of my questions, but just gave me the key and showed me my room. I don't scare easily but I was traveling alone and the whole thing made me feel rather uncomfortable.

The room itself was fine - simple but comfortable enough. TV. Mini-fridge. Recently redone bathroom. A few bugs. No decor.

The next morning, "breakfast" (the place bills itself as a B&B) was coffee, a loaf of white bread, butter and jam that had been set out quite early because they were covered in bugs by the time I found them at 8:30, and an array of Hostess/Little Debbie type snacks (twinkies, the ones with marshmallow and coconut flakes, etc.). I had coffee but didn't eat anything.

When I was ready to check out, I had no idea where to go or what to do. The man at the bakery on the floor below told me the owner was up there and that I should just call for him. So I did - several times. No response. I tried calling his phone. He didn't pick up. Finally, I just sat down on the couch in the common room and waited. About five minutes later he finally appeared so that I could give him my key and get out of there. He apologized but didn't sound very sorry.

Very definitely NOT worth the $60 I paid for it (I stayed in hostels in PR for $25 that were luxurious in comparison). My stay here was stressful and the low point of my vacation.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Families
Business
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

Wife and I stayed here and had such a hard time we wanted to warn others. First the place was difficult to find. The address they give you give you an approximate area it might be, and the building does not look like it is an inn or B&B. The sign was small, hard to read, and hidden amongst numerous other signs. Nobody in the area knew of this place so stopping and asking for help didn't make this any easier. There are two rooms and our neighbors told us the local police didn't even know where the place was, and their roof was leaky. We never actually saw the proprietor of the place and the folks who gave us our keys to get in spoke no English.

We literally spent 4 hours looking for this place. We eventually found the location after the owner called us back and gave us a little better directions.

The location wasn't bad, it was near Rincon and right across the street from a beach. The beach was a little dirty and the surf was rough, but it made for a decent enough view.

The amenities were very bare bones but relatively clean. A bed, bathroom, mini-fridge, and TV.

Somebody (don't know who) put on a half a pot of coffee and half a loaf of bread out in the common area.

If you are looking for a bed to sleep in while on that side of the island (and have half a day to find it) this place might be for you. Overall you would probably be better off to stay in a larger or better run operation. This place isn't worth your time or your money.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to That's the Magic of it Guest House? Share your experiences!