“Wow” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Six Senses Zighy Bay

You added Six Senses Zighy Bay to your Saves list
Six Senses Zighy Bay
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Zighy Bay, Musandam Peninsula | PO Box 212, Zighy Bay 800, Oman   |
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Zighy Bay
west of scotland
“Wow”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

I agree with some other reviewers in that we kind of want to keep this as a secret just for us as we will return (hopefully soon) Its a two hour drive from Dubai which makes it very accessible from the UK. Very remote with stunning mountains behind it, its the ideal "getaway from it all " holiday retreat. Our Beach villa was outstanding and would recommend these as it was so easy to go for beach walks. Also the pool attached to our villa was long and deep enough for me to do laps in! The negatives- it is pricey to eat but there are plenty of dining choices, Senses on the Edge being top end (price and quality but definitely worth going to), the tapas bar is varied and fresh, Summer House has a lovely menu and we ate there twice in the week and of course room service where they will set up a lovely outdoor table at your villa. We also went to the Arabian Barbecue which was a lovely evening. We did have an issue with a "Honeymoon Cruise" boat trip which was described wrongly to us by our Gem(butler) and turned out not to be the lovely experience we were expecting but this was sorted out efficiently by the manager the next day so thank you for that. I must also mention the management and high standard of the discreet cleaning of the villas. They must have spies everywhere! Very good! (Room7 4-11 April)

Room Tip: Beach villa was great for us but people do walk up and down the beach and can look into your space s...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
SS-ZighyBay, General Manager at Six Senses Zighy Bay, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear pennywestofschotland

It is really kind of you to review your recent stay at the resort in April. I wanted as well to thank you for your kind words about the setting of the villa and the quality of service and choices of our restaurants. I do, again, apologise for the inconvenience caused by the wrong description of the sunset cruise boat and am glad that we were able to sort it out prior to your departure. I'll also share your good comments about the housekeeping team with the concerned hosts.

I do hope we have a chance to welcome you back soon. Please do let me know if I can assist with anything prior to this.

axel@sixsenses.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Polish first
Ringwood, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

We recently spent a week at Zighy Bay and had a very relaxing week. Fabulous location with dramatic mountain back drop and resort has been built sympathetically, with all the buildings in local stone that blends into the local environment. Cannot fault the villa accommodation, even the standard villa is luxurious by most standards. Very appreciative of being allocated a quiet room away from young children. We were very surprised by the number of families and very young children, wasn't what we had expected from a Six Senses spa. Wasn't a big issue, but would have liked to see one communal area designed "adults only" as there's plenty of scope with two pools. As others have said, the cost of food and beverage and activities is bordering on criminal (think London hotel, then double it!). Would recommend the half board package which at least allows clarity of budget!

To really justify this hotel's five start rating it just needed to be slicker.....staff were very pleasant but a bit formulaic in their approach and often the basics were missed. The so called "personal butler" was a gimmick and his organisation skills seemed lacking. Spa treatments were fantastic, but very expensive. More importantly, the spa reservations were a shambles and our treatments were cancelled despite having confirmed them personally several days before.

Be aware that the beach isn't Caribbean in quality and given recent unseasonal storms there is a significant amount of tar and rubbish on the beach that meant we had to avoid it. I understand that floating booms were ripped up in the storm which I think would normally help to prevent the pollution getting onto the beach, but these need re-laying and not sure when this will be done. This did impact on our overall enjoyment and think more could have been done to warn guests of the tar and also to collect the rubbish, though I appreciate the cause is out of the hotel's hands.

The mountain restaurant, Sense on the Edge, however, is firmly five star, with fantastic food, amazing setting and a charming maitre'D. Don't miss it.

Would have loved to have given Zighy Bay five stars, but it just isn't there......

Room Tip: Some people like the beach front, but all rooms have an outlook and you may prefer the privacy of be...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
SS-ZighyBay, General Manager at Six Senses Zighy Bay, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear AliTrev2

Fist and foremost, I would like to thank you for taking time to review your stay in March of this year. All feedback from our guests is welcome and taken on board in order to continuously improve the services which we provide.

It is good to read that you had enjoyed your week at the resort and that the setting and facilities met your expectations. The resort does indeed cater to both families as well as couples. Your stay here coincided with school holidays in Europe which meant that we did indeed have families with children staying here. We are expanding the area around the Salt Water pool to include a new beach bar as well as a dedicated water-sports centre, meaning that the areas for the beach access will be spread out further, offering more available space for our guests.

I have noted your comments with regard to spa reservations team on board. Thank you for pointing this out. I have since spoken to the concerned team in order to understand what happened and to ensure that this does not reoccur. I would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused.

With regard to the sea condition, the oil boom is presently being replaced. This will certainly ensure that this is remedied again.

Lastly, I am pleased that you enjoyed our signature fine dining restaurant, Sense on the Edge. It is a definite "must" whilst staying here, both for the ambience and quality of cuisine and service. Thank you for your compliments.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you wish to visit any of our resorts or return back here to Six Senses Zighy Bay. My contact email can be taken from the signature below.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

I went in Zighy Bay with my collegues for team building. I would say that it is a place where you want to go with your loved one.
We had a nice villa, the design is typical from the region but it is very luxurious.
I really enjoyed the pool for myself!
The location is very nice, it is very quiet.
However, I have been desappointed by the food: it did not meet my expectations.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mimie 1988

I would like to thank you for your review of your stay in March of last year. It is good to read that the resort is still in good memory. We do indeed cater to couples who wish to have an opportunity to get away from everything and enjoy our true Omani hospitality, which is reflected in both the design of the resort as well as the individual crafted experiences which we provide.

I have noted your comments regarding the cuisine. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me should you wish to discuss this further. We have, since last year, changed all of our menus and upgraded our culinary concepts throughout the resort.

I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back here soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

I hesitate as I write this review because we kind of want to keep this for us. That however would be selfish. We went with our two small boys in March and had a wonderful time. We loved the remoteness of the resort, the stunning location and the laid back elegance. The villas are very spacious and comfortable. I loved travelling around by bike and our 3 year old loved the Kids Club. The staff are delightful, impeccable service without stiff formality.

For us this is a winner and we will definitely go back. This is up there with one of the best places that we have ever stayed.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear AKUK09

Thank you for your great review about your stay in March this year. I am glad that you and your family enjoyed the stay and that the team here were able meet your expectations. The resort does offer great opportunities for both couples and families with a perfect ambience to unwind in our secluded bay here. Thank you for your kind mention of our hosts.

Should you plan your return visit any time soon, please do reach out to me in order for me to assist with any arrangements prior to your arrival. The team and I look forward to welcoming in you back here.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

This is a beautiful hotel in a staggering location in a lovely country – albeit you will not see much of Oman whilst staying there, apart from the ‘Lunar landscape’ that surrounds it. Zighy Bay is completely isolated with access only via 4 wheel drive in a very remote part of northern Oman. Although there is a small village adjoining the hotel that is it. So if you are after quiet discrete excellence then this is the place. If you want something more lively or access to shopping then it is not.
Of course this type of low key charm does not come cheap; so if you do come, don’t look at prices. Just close your eyes, sit back and enjoy…and worry about the bill when you get home.
This is my first Six Senses experience and they just ‘get it’. The service was immaculate; all provided by Thais, Indians and Sri Lankans. From the butler serving your room to the bar man everybody is charm personified. nothing is too much trouble.
We had a beach view villa with a pool, and so made no use of the shared beach or pool, but would have been quite happy there. There were actually small jellyfish in the sea during our visit so did not venture much into the sea.
Food is delicious, although with a variety of different places to eat it was a bit complicated to work out what was open when! But the Sense on the Edge restaurant is a truly unique experience.
A small highlight was watching Sleepless in Seatle on the beach (on a small erected screen), under the stars, lying on sun beds with headphones and pop corn!! who needs 24 hour in room movies!
I have only a few negatives and/or warnings. We had been told to make all our reservations in advance, which is irritating when you have never been before, so you have no idea what you are booking. Fortunately it was not busy and we ended up changing them all completely, when we actually saw the different offers. But it does flag up that if you are there in a busy time these places do get full. It also does annoy me that at these absolute top prices I have to ‘compete’ for restaurant bookings. That is just not the way I want to be on a relaxed (and expensive) holiday; it brings back all the competitive stress of our city life! Ditto the spa, where again told all bookings in advance (again did not prove necessary), but I really want to make these decisions when I get there!
The hotel does have a second seawater pool and whole activity zone (with a teenagers club) which implies to me that during the peak holiday periods it is considerably busier and I assume adds pressure to the restaurant and spa.
Finally why make the spa (which is one of the key offerings) so internal and dark? We do internal and dark spas in our cities! Here you have views, blue skies, setting suns, palm trees, goats….if I am out in these locations that is what I want to look over when I am relaxing.
But overall this is an exceptional experience; once the bank balance is restored we will be back.

Room Tip: if you can afford it the beach view villas (with pool) really make for a fantastic experience
Dear SimonT962

Please allow me to thank you for your kind review of your stay last month here at Six Senses Zighy Bay. I am glad that you enjoyed the philosophy and ambience of the resort. The location does indeed offer a great opportunity to escape and unwind.
Your kind comments about the hosts of the resort as well as the culinary team will certainly be shared accordingly.

I have also taken on board your comments regarding the availability of our restaurants and experiences. As you were traveling in a busy month, we always do recommend to book experiences such as spa treatments or dinners at Sense on Edge in advance as both have limited availability. I am glad that you managed to experience both. I have also noted your feedback about the spa and will certainly look into the points highlighted. The general design is in line with the architecture of the resort, but we will certainly look into improving the actual lighting there. Thank you for pointing this out.

I stand at your disposal for anything further. Please do not hesitate to contact me if needed.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

Visited for 2 nights over a weekend in March to celebrate our first anniversary. Drove from Dubai (about 2hrs 45mins in total) with a fantastic climax to the journey arriving at the resort. The road suddenly 'ends' as you come out of the Oman side of Dibba and you drive on a makeshift road through what feel like the Wadi before reaching the arrivals lodge. We were told a 4x4 would not be available to take us up for 30 minutes so elected to sign the form taking responsibility to drive up ourselves! The drive is steep, so make sure your brakes are in good condition before doing it but the road was not too bad. Views were fantastic as you reach the peak and see the resort in the valley below.
On arrival the room was not ready until the advertised check in time so we had lunch in the bar, which was tapas, and excellent quality (as was all the food we had during our stay).
Once we arrived in the room we were very impressed. We have stayed in a few of these 'private pool' style rooms in the Maldives and Banyan Tree in UAE. This did not disappoint one bit. We had the 'standard' room but it was more than adequate and bigger than I was expecting. The pool was the perfect temperature.
Everything in the room worked and given that there were so many light switches, fans e.t.c. there is always that annoyance when something that is essential is not working but it seemed as though everything was checked to ensure full working order for each guest.
Service could not be faulted and was impeccable without a single slip up during the 2 days.
We were told the resort was full it felt very private and not at all crowded, even by the main pool and beach area.
Yes it is pricey but the real question you need to ask is, is it value? In my opinion yes it is. I am believer of you get what you pay for and when things are expensive but you do not get the service or the 'promise' in the pictures then that is disappointing. But with Zighy Bay we left feeling as though we got more than promised through impeccable service, a truly fantastic room and a setting that pictures can never do justice to. So in that sense I felt I got true value if not a bit more (paid for 5*, felt like I got 6*).
Highly recommended, especially for those living in Dubai as there is nothing quite like it there. Can't wait to go back again! One of the region's gems for ultimate luxury and experience.

Room Tip: The 'standard' room was more than sufficient and only a stones throw away from the beach. If...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
SS-ZighyBay, General Manager at Six Senses Zighy Bay, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear andymardon

Thank you for reviewing your recent brief stay at the resort last March. I am glad that the resort exceeded your expectations! The team here and I pride ourselves in being able to cater to each guest individually and to ensure that the services, the setting and the hosts are truly reflecting the wonderful location of Zighy Bay here in the Sultanate of Oman.

With regard to your review, I would like to thank you for your detailed points. We are already in process of reworking all light switches in our villas to a more simple approach which will make this feature easier and more convenient for our guests.

We hopefully wil have a chance to welcome you back here soon again. Please feel free to contact me directly if I can assist with this in any way.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

Absolutely incredible place. From the moment you arrive you know you are somewhere very special.

The resort is spread across a private beach with the Omani mountains as the backdrop on one side and nothing but open ocean on the other.

The villas are beautifully presented and the facilities are superb. Whether you want total relaxation or something more adventurous. The scuba diving was amazing, and the instructors were the best we'd had anywhere in the world

Huge swimming pools - if you venture out from your villa and private pool - fresh and salt water. White sand. So relaxed.

The food is another level, easily michellin star level in both the Sense on the Edge restaurant (perched on the mountain) and the Summer House. The Omani Shua Shack beach dining experience was a real highlight but from the bar tapas to the beach BBQ (great mini wagyu burgers!) everything was delicious.

The service is brilliant but understated, nothing is too much but if you want peace and quiet you will find the service subtle and non intrusive.

Thanks to Axel, Lizzie and Abhilash for looking after us - and to Richard and the kitchen team for such wonderful food.

We are already planning our next trip!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
SS-ZighyBay, General Manager at Six Senses Zighy Bay, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Dear DaffR

Kindly allow me thank you for your very positive review about your recent stay at Six Senses Zighy Bay in March of this year.

It is with great pleasure to read that you had enjoyed the villas and facilities such as both main pools. We hope to offer the addition of a new Beach Bar and Water-sports Centre at the Salt Water Pool by end of April of this year. To offer these type of services in combination of the setting here in Zighy Bay does create a very special ambience for our guests. I am glad that this did meet your expectations.

The team of Extra Divers will certainly be very happy to read about your kind comments. Thank you for this.

As for your review on the culinary and service side, rest assured that your review will certainly be shared with all concerned. Thank you for sharing this with us as well.

Please do stay in touch and let me know about your next visit in order to help getting everything arranged.

axel@sixsenses.com

Been to Six Senses Zighy Bay? Share your experiences!