“When can we go back” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Six Senses Zighy Bay

You added Six Senses Zighy Bay to your Saves list
Six Senses Zighy Bay
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Zighy Bay, Musandam Peninsula | PO Box 212, Zighy Bay 800, Oman   |
Special Price
10% off Room Rate
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Zighy Bay
London
“When can we go back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

Just completed an eight night stay with my wife and 4 year old. We were impressed.

The setting of the hotel is stunning and the execution of the hotel buildings and grounds is perfect. We just loved the narrow sandy streets and alleys which never managed to look contrived at all. Beach was flawless and perfect for sand castles.

We stayed in a beachfront pool villa suite which was fantastic; not just because of its immense size, but also quality and thoughtfulness of design. I've never wanted to spend so much time in and around my room before; excellent private pool and outdoor seating. Top marks.

Food quality was excellent overall and I think offers reasonable value, not forgetting where you are staying. We did Full Board which I think gives a, worth having, value for money boost. Drinks prices are very reasonable, and especially when compared to, for example, long haul Indian Ocean destinations.

We liked the International Restaurant best and it's outdoor dining for lunch and dinner. Get their early for dinner at the weekend if you want the pick of the tables though. We ate in Spice Market once for dinner but I felt it lacked atmosphere. Good breakfasts and we had some pleasant room service lunches by our pool.

Zighy Bar happy hour became a regular feature of our day and cocktails were authentic and as they should be, with the exception of the Mai Tai which wasn't as I remembered.

I've always been cool on the Butler thing based on experiences at other hotels but I'd have to say at SSZB that they pitched it just right. Daily goat feeding trips; no problem at all. Letting my son help with steering the golf buggy; no problem at all. Julius looked after us perfectly, thank you.

Goat lovers will appreciate this hotel and the goats were very charming, albeit that their daily mission is clearly to make it beyond the high wall to goat Paradise ( the Organic Garden.)

We enjoyed cycling around the resort and my son enjoyed sitting in the box on the back of the trike being ridden around.

My wife rated her Spa sessions very much and I appreciated the (same day) laundry service.

I think my wife and I agreed that this was possibly our most enjoyable holiday ever. Our little boy wanted to call SSZB home and that is all you need to know.

But is it good value? Yes, I think it probably is.

A few small niggles ; noisy air conditioning which woke me, food service occasionally slow which I wouldn't expect at this level

Room Tip: On the beach is best
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
SS-ZighyBay, General Manager at Six Senses Zighy Bay, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear LikingLuxury

It is good to read that you have enjoyed your recent stay at Six Senses Zighy Bay. Thank you very much for taking time to share your review. I really appreciate your kind comment that you felt it was one of your most enjoyable holidays and that your son considers it home. We certainly look forward to welcoming you all back here soon.

The beach front villas are our most sought after villa category. To have that direct access to our beach, even though every villa has it's own private pool, does make a difference. Thank you for pointing this out.

With regard to the culinary side, both the service as well as the choices in our restaurants and bars, i will be happy to share your compliments with our team here. We are in the process of continuously evolving the Spice Market interior design and am sure that you will notice a even more authentic feel on the next visit.

I have noted your comments on the air-conditioners as well as the speed of the food service. Both points have already been addressed. Thank you for highlighting this to me.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should I be of any assistance to visit here again or any of our other Six Senses Resorts. My contact email can be taken from the signature below.

axel@sixsenses.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Polish first
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

Overall this is an outstanding location and hotel. Breath taking, beautiful, and relaxing.

I'm just writing this review to give fellow travellers a heads up of things to expect.

1. I drove to Zighy Bay from Dubai, so I was actually kind of nervous of the intense SUV mountain climb up. I didn't read anywhere that you can actually park BEFORE the mountain incline/decline, which greatly relieved my nervousness, but I wish I had known that before. So just wanted to give you guys that heads up in case you're driving there, that you can park before the intense mountain incline/decline and be shuttled to the resort.

2. I've been to the Maldives, where you will be hard pressed to find more beautiful water. You can't fault the resort for this, but the water was really really nasty at the time of day that I went kayaking. It was a very thick green algae soup, and it freaked me out that if I fell in the water it would be totally nasty.

3. The internet service in the villa was really weak. Most places it wouldn't work. It was bothersome a bit because I had some work to do.

4. I had an experience of discrimination at the dinner hall, which till today still bothers me. It was messed up. But anyway.

On to the amazing stuff:
1. Our butler was superb. Best butler service I've had.
2. They had a movie on the beach, which was something extra from the hotel, under the stars. It was really fun, and it was a movie that i've watched before and really enjoyed.
3. The activities center director was so friendly. We were playing table tennis, he was counting score for us and helping us retrieve the balls.
4. We had dinner at the mountain top restaurant, and my friend said that "If I was able to request a final meal before I die, this would be the final meal I would request!" It was that exceptional. From my experience, high priced restaurants are usually a lot of hype, the food a little above average, with hefty prices. But I left this mountain top restaurant thinking, yes! this is how it should always be done.
5. Resting was deep, and peaceful. We had a water side chalet, so we just had to open our balcony doors and we could hear the waves all night.

But one thing that wasn't so great: the price.
I'm cool with paying premium for trip of a lifetime type of resorts. But I think the prices were a bit too exaggerated here, and I think one can get a better deal with some other holiday vacations.

My conclusion: I'd probably come back sometime down the road, in the off-season, where although the heat might be warming up, but hopefully the exaggerated prices might cool off.

Hope you benefit and have a wonderful time in Zighy Bay.

M. Elsherief
Canada
fb.com/nationbuilder.prime

Room Tip: We paid extra for beach side villa and we really appreciated that we had made that decision. You'...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Mr. Elsherief

I would like to express my gratitude for taking time to review your stay at Six Senses Zighy Bay in February of this year. Kindly allow me to respond to your points in order to offer a clarification:

We do certainly, as you have experienced, offer parking at our arrival gate on the other side of the Zighy mountain. This is a service which we gladly provide to guests as the road can only be driven with a 4x4 drive vehicle and we pick you up from there with our vehicles and our drivers. Alternatively you can park at the Dibba Oman Marina where we can provide a speedboat transfer to our Zighy Marina.

The algae you had experienced is a natural occurrence which happens very rarely when there are big changes of the sea temperature. It usually lasts however only for a very short period of time and clears up with the change in the tide. The water at the present is crystal clear and pristine, for example.

During your time here, the resort was experiencing a very high occupancy, which in turn, caused the internet speed to reduce. We have since rectified the issue with improved bandwidth segregation.

I can only express my apologies if you have been discriminated. Please do feel free to contact me personally should you wish to discuss this further, especially as I do take your comment very seriously.

I especially would like to thank you for your praises for the GEM (Guest Experience Maker), which would be your butler. Additional thanks for your kind words on our host at the Experience Centre, the Cinema Paradiso and the service and culinary team at our signature restaurant, Sense on the Edge. I am glad that you enjoyed these.

Please do let me know whenever you wish to return. I can be contacted under axel@sixsenses.com and am at your disposal to assist with this return visit.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

The best place we have stayed....from the paraglide in to the Omani security on the way out of the resort, they didn't put a foot wrong. Food, service, setting, rooms all amazing. They asked for feedback at the end of our stay and after a long long think, we couldn't find a single thing that we would change. We particularly liked the focus on the environment, the amazing kitchen garden and the bicycles that you can use to get around the resort. Shame it was only for 2 nights. Its pricey, so its a once in a lifetime sort of place but I can safely say you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: if you cant get a room by the beach - the rooms looking out over the playground are very secluded
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
SS-ZighyBay, General Manager at Six Senses Zighy Bay, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear Manxelisa

Kindly allow me to express my gratitude about sharing your kind review of your recent stay here at the resort. I am glad that you had chosen to visit us this February, even if just for a short 2 night stay. Hopefully this is a "appetiser" for a return visit soon.

I am glad that you enjoyed the setting and services provided during your stay. Rest assured that this has already been shared with all the hosts here.

Please do let me know if I can assist you personally for organising your next stay here.

Wishing you all the best,

Heswall, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

A great choice for couples as well as families, whether you want to simply chill or be a bit more adventurous.

A stunning setting – you'll never forget your first glimpse of the bay as you drive over the top of the mountain and begin your dramatic descent to the hotel. Excellent customer service throughout, starting with pre-arrival advice and warm welcome from Alex and personal butler. All the staff were attentive and friendly, calling us by name after the first day.

Rooms. In line with the Six Senses ethos, the resort is eco-friendly. Accommodation is rustic but with mod cons and little luxuries. Each villa has its own private heated pool (your butler can adjust the water temperature for you). We chose a Pool Villa suite for greater privacy and because it had a wider plot than the standard villas.

Food. Breakfast included a great selection of fresh fruits, juices and pastries plus hot food cooked to order. There are additional dining options that are not shown on the website. For lunch you can eat at the Zighy Bar (tapas) or beach BBQ as well as the Summer House. We loved dinner at the Summer House (international cuisine with three daily specials). We also had two exquisite private dining experiences: In-villa BBQ plus the Wine Tower (amazing views due to the full moon). The food was consistently delicious with one exception: the Senses on the Edge did not live up to our expectations. I found two long bones/sinews in my lobster starter (I drew this to the waiter’s attention but didn't receive an apology); part of my lobster tail seemed overly mushy rather than soft; and neither of us could eat the dessert as we found it too sweet and sickly. We were also disappointed that we were not able to dine out on the terrace (presumably because of the cold weather) but were not told this in advance plus tables were allocated on first come first served basis, so despite requesting a romantic table over 3 months in advance, we were placed in the 3rd row with no view of the sky or the resort.

Great selection of activities if that is what you want. We really enjoyed the private snorkeling in speedboat with stops at Ras Lima and Sannath Bay, ideal for us novices. Lovely healthy coral and some good fish sightings including squid, parrot fish, goatfish,fusiliers.

A really special holiday which we will remember for a long time. We hope to return soon.

Room Tip: You just need to work out what is right for you based on room descriptions on website. Beachfront v...
Dear top-trippers

I would like to thank you for having spent your recent holiday here in the Sultanate of Oman and sharing your review about your stay. The team and I are very happy that you had a good time and we do hoe that you return back here soon. Best travel times to visit Six Senses Zighy Bay is between October till April, weather-wise. June to September are also quite popular, especially as the individual pools and main pool being chilled in the summer months.

Your kind comments regarding the services, activities location have been shared with the team here at the resort. Thank you for this. I have taken your comments on the Valentine's dinner at Sense on the Edge on board constructively and discussed this with our Executive Chef as well. I can only apologise the inconvenience caused during the meal and that this was not acknowledged by our service host.

In particular I am really happy that the sustainable approach with our unique experiences was appreciated by yourself. Please do let me know if my team or I can assist you with planning your return trip. I can be reached under axel@sixsenses.com.

Norwich UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

We visited Zighy Bay for my 60th birthday. This is a very special place. Its tranquil remoteness can be appreciated from a microlite flight looking down on the barren steep 300m high mountain separating this rustic and very comfortable resort from the rest of the world. Our butler (Mubarek) was excellent and could not have done more for us.

Everything was arranged as we wanted. There is a consistent friendly atmosphere with the staff and a feeling in many ways of being “at home” with them in this tranquil environment with consistent excellent standard of service.

Food was consistently wonderful and the Sense on the Edge restaurant atop the mountain was indeed of Michelin standard (we visited 3 times during our 6 night stay).The restaurants are all very good indeed and if you like Wagyu beef and Lobster, freshly cooked breakfasts with an extensive choice every day then look no further.

This is not a resort to enjoy on a low budget however I believe one gets what one is prepared to pay for and Zighy Bay does definitely deliver. I calculate a beer was approximately £4.50 and wine upwards from £35.00. There is a “no rush hour” twice every evening where selected drinks are half price – I especially recommend the Cocktails which are expertly created.

“No shoes” during the day, very comfortable pool villa with bicycles outside, fantastic mountain views, a deserted beach to stroll along, where you can paraglide or enjoy a microlite ride. Wine cellar private dinner and also Snorkelling with private speed boat trip were memorable experiences in this unique resort which we have wanted to visit for several years. We were not disappointed.

Dear vjkNorwichUK

I would like to thank you for choosing Six Senses Zighy Bay for such a special occasion as your birthday. In particular, I am very pleased that you had a chance to truly enjoy the Omani hospitality offered here at the resort. We do pride ourselves in providing personalised service to meet the individual requirements of our guests.

I will, off course, share your kind comments about the culinary and service hosts with the respective departments.

Please do not hesitate to contact me personally should you wish to return here or visit any of our Six Senses resorts in the future. My email address can be taken from the signature below.

Vejle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

We went back in week 7 for the second year in a row after an amazing stay last year. Weather was less great this year (which Six Senses obviously can do nothing about...) but there were glitches in this years experience that should happen at a resort of the otherwise outstanding standard. These included several mistakes in the itinerary prepared by our butler which meant that we were late for spa treatments twice. Also, he promised to call back on our inquiries and forgot twice. Wait in time in our favourite restaurant at the resort were much longer than last year. But worst of all, the booked transportation on today's departure for the airport was 45 minutes late even though we had a written confirmation of the departure time from the general manager. So a far cry from last years absolute perfection. Not bad, of course, because the villas and general service level is still of very high standard - but we are less likely to be back next year.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Mads N

Thank you for your review about your return visit in February this year. I have taken your comments regarding the unfortunate glitches on board and have since done a complete debrief with our butler and transportation team. i can only apologise for the inconveniences caused due to this and will ensure that it does not reoccur. Please feel free to contact me directly should you wish to discuss the points mentioned further.

I am glad that you enjoyed the service levels of our hosts and do hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back to Six Senses Zighy Bay in the foreseeable future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

It's difficult to explain Zighy Bay as it is so different from any other hotel we have ever stayed in! We spent 10 days there Feb/March 2013 when the weather was just about perfect but after three days I fell and broke my wrist resulting in a plaster cast being put on and consequently swimming in the large pool was not an option. I did manage to carefully stand into our own villa pool which was wonderful and helped me to feel cool when the sun was at its hottest. Not an ideal holiday from the point of view of the injury but the hotel could not have been more helpful in organising a visit to the hospital, via a speed boat, and generally making sure that I was well looked after.

We decided to return for 10 days this year Jan/Feb, so that I could experience it in more normal circumstances! I was not disappointed. A good number of the staff remembered us and asked me if all was now OK and Ary, our butler, (everyone has their own butler) could not have been more helpful. A good number of the reviews on this site list the qualities of the rooms so I will not repeat what has already been said. We booked a beach front villa again and experienced the sunrises by just walking a few steps to the front gates, opening them and standing there with our mouths hanging open at the sight! We will return next year, hopefully, but will go later on in February as it was definitely warmer last year at the end of Feb/March. If you are sporty there is a large range of activities, some of which are free and if you want spa treatments their spa is second to none.

Axel Jarosch is a superb hotel manager who clearly cares about his clients and is a visible presence around all areas of the hotel. This is important, in my view, as he is approachable and friendly and will listen to any comments you feel you need to make. All the staff, with whom we had any dealings, were courteous and helpful.

We look forward to another visit next year.

Room Tip: A Beach Front Villa is the best if your budget can stretch to it. Huge bedroom and relaxing sofa ar...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Finch48

I am so glad that you came back here and that this second visit made up for a unfortunate accident from last year. All of the hosts, including Ary - your butler - here send you their warmest regards and we will look forward to your stay next year. Your preferred villa has already been reserved for this upcoming visit.

Please do not hesitate to drop me a mail in order to arrange for the speedboat arrival or spa treatments in advance to ensure that you have your preferred timings.

Wishing you all the best,

axel@sixsenses.com

Been to Six Senses Zighy Bay? Share your experiences!