“Fabulous” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Six Senses Zighy Bay

You added Six Senses Zighy Bay to your Saves list
Six Senses Zighy Bay
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Zighy Bay, Musandam Peninsula | PO Box 212, Zighy Bay 800, Oman   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Zighy Bay
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Fabulous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

We as a family (with a 4 year old and a 15 year old) stopped here for a week at the beginning of August.
We were picked up from the airport with no problems and there was a child seat provided in the car, the 2 hour journey to the resort was faultless with a very pleasant driver. On arrival we were met by the manager Axel which was a lovely touch ( other hotels take note!) and was given a drink we were introduced to our butler Katek and we were escorted to our beach front villa suite. The villa was all ready for us with 2 extra beds for the children. There was a kettle, fridge, which had water and milk which is complementary soft drinks and beers. There is also a coffee maker. There is a second fridge filled with bottles of wine. There is also a full price list telling how much everything is. There were complementary shampoo shower gel etc and insect repellent in each of the bathrooms. There were 2 flat screen tv with various channels and also dvd players for each one so if you have children take a DVD selection with you. The villa was spacious which we wanted and was cleaned and towels changed twice daily. The splash pool and view were the icing on the cake.
The beach was clean and my idea of heaven, you could sit on the sand and think you were the only person there, with the waves splashing against the beach the sun beating down and a gentle breeze whilst watching the crabs make their homes in the sand and only a stones throw from your villa.
Breakfasts were adequate and the lunches which we had in room dinning were nice sometimes too much food for us but we coped :) the buffet at the spice market there was a lot of choice and there was a child's section with usually chips some kind of pasta and either chicken or fish, did notice that some adults were filling their plates with the chips... The summer house restaurant was very nice and the bar did serve some tapas meals which were lovely. We had the in room beach BBQ one night and that was excellent from the food to the staff. One of the nights went to the restaurant on the mountains edge which was ok. We didn't go on any excursions but they were there if wanted and there was hiking and tennis and various other things you could take part in if you were feeling energetic.
There was a kids club and teen club which did various activities through the day. There is a library where you can swap books including some children's books. Also there is a souvenir shop which in my opinion wasn't worth the shop space selling flip flops, beach cover ups and expensive items like glass wear, pottery etc and could have been utilised a lot better.
We used the spa, and as spa's go was very nice and relaxing.
I didn't see a supermarket or shop selling items you've forgotten or needed on spec eg toiletries, children's items, floats, balls or even sweets for the kids. If I missed it then it wasn't advertised very well.
The journey to our next destination was smooth, and we had a very nice driver, the only thing I would advise is if there is a car seat provided ensure you check that it is actually fastened in and not having to fasten it in 5 minutes into the journey (note to management- ensure that all drivers know how to fix them in the car and fasten them.)
I have read in other reviews that they thought it expensive, well yes it is and in my opinion worth it, and would recommend it to anyone who likes the solitude, uncrowded gorgeous beaches and scenery, from couples to singletons and families alike.
All in all I would like to thank all the staff at zighy bay for a lovely holiday and hope to see you again in the near future.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
SS-ZighyBay, General Manager at Six Senses Zighy Bay, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear Ladybird220368

I am glad that you and your family enjoyed your visit to Six Senses Zighy Bay! Thank you for your detailed positive review. I have shared your comments with the whole team and have taken your comments regarding our Gallery on board constructively in order to provide a wider selection of items to our guests. I have also briefed our transport teams to ensure that the child seats are checked prior to use for future transfers.

Please do let me know whenever you wish to return or should you wish to visit one of our other Six Senses resorts. I can be reached under the below email address for any future assistance.

axel@sixsenses.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Polish first
DXB
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We – a family of two adults and two children (6 & 8 years of age) – had stayed at the Resort last year already, and because of our great experience that time decided to return this year in August for 7 days. In short: It was equally pleasant this time, if not better. I am therefore happy to copy below my last year’s review which stands. In particular, the friendliness, efficiency and quality of personal attention by the staff across all departments (be it the butler, the teams at the kids clubs, the F&B staff and management) is absolutely excellent and makes this Six Senses one of our most favorite destinations for a relaxing break. We will come again.

“For those travelling with children: While from its website the resort may not appear to be a particularly children orientated, in fact it is very family and child friendly. It has kid’s club and a teen’s club offering a wide program of activities (can be found and downloaded on their website). Jenny, the host of the kid’s club, is really great with the little ones. In essence, in the morning our children participated in club’s activities giving us – the parents - time to do whatever we wanted to do. In the afternoon was then full family time (even though there was also a children program on offer). In the evening, from 7:30pm onwards, the kid’s clubs shows a children movie (animated / cartoons) to where our children disappeared after their dinner. The restaurants cater for children as well, offering a dedicated children menu with a good variety of healthy dishes. Overall, all staff were very friendly to our children; and knew their first names from the time we arrived.
For those wishing to exercise: Running outside of the resort is possible and enjoyable if one likes it hilly. Additionally / alternatively, one can hire mountain bikes from the resort. The resort also has a decent gym incl. 2 treadmills, cross trainer, bikes, rowing machine and weights and TRX. Timings are from 7am – 9pm. The equipment is in good condition and a gym instructor is available. The main pool – which was mostly empty when we were there – is long enough to do laps.
Food & Beverage: Our favorite was the Summerhouse; everything we tried was excellent.
Guest relation / services: Obviously the facilities are very good; as one can expect from a 5* resort in the Middle East. What makes the resort truly excellent and outstanding is the quality of staff and service combined with the overall sustainability approach of the resort; not only in regards to ecological issues but also to social topics.
Overall verdict: Six Senses Zighy Bay is a great resort for honeymooners, couples and families alike. Would I recommend it to my best friend? Yes“

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
SS-ZighyBay, General Manager at Six Senses Zighy Bay, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear Dora_Boots_Swiper

Thank you for your kind review on the return visit to Six Senses Zighy Bay! I have shared your comments already with the kid's club team, your butler and the restaurant teams. With great pleasure I read that you and your family enjoyed this visit and that we were able to meet your expectations a second time. We all look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully soon.

In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be any assistance. My email is axel@sixsenses.com.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I just spent 2 nights at Zighy Bay as a stop over between Canada and Australia. It was an ideal spot to relax for 2 days. The service was excellent. The food at the spice market and summer house was very good. The has a slightly brackish taste but you could order bottled water restaurants.

• Stayed August 2013
SS-ZighyBay, General Manager at Six Senses Zighy Bay, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Liltons

Kindly allow me to personally thank you for your kind comments on your visit this August at the resort.

With pleasure I read that you had enjoyed your brief stay and enjoyed your services and quality of the food in our two restaurants. Upon your next visit, I do hope that you will also have an opportunity to try our fine dining restaurant on the top of the mountain called Sense on the Edge.

Regarding the water, kindly note that the resort produces all of it's own water through a reverse osmosis plant and additional filtration and purification through our crystal water plant. For this reason it might taste differently compared to imported water from other sources. We do this to minimise the carbon footprint of the resort. Rest assured that the water is tested on a monthly basis by independent laboratories in order to ensure it's quality.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should i be of any assistance. I can be reached at axel@sixsenses.com.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed at Six Senses for a long weekend, the setting is amazing, the scenery and location are great and the service on welcoming superb.

Staying in a beach front pool villa there was everything you needed right at hand. The outdoor lazing areas, sun lounges under an umbrella, majilis with plenty of room to lie down and read a book or have a drink. The pool at the doorstep and the beach just a few steps away.

There is a restaurant set up in the rocky mountains with a great view of the bay and the best food ever.

This is simply the best of the best.

Room Tip: Beach front pool villa is the pick.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sean N

I would like to thank you for your review of the resort. Its great to read that you had enjoyed your stay in a beach front pool villa and were able to enjoy the facilities. I will also be more than happy to pass your kind comments on your dining experience at Senses on the Edge to the culinary and service team.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for any upcoming return visit to our resort in order to further personalise your experience. I can be reached at the email address of axel@sixsenses.com.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

When we had stayed at zighy bay a couple of years ago I had given the resort a glowing review because the food, the service, the location and the ambience were amazing... absolutely amazing! 2 years on and the resort has definitely declined in its service levels, especially considering the price you pay for one night. We didn't get the welcome arabic sweets in our room which we found out we were meant to get, quite a few of the beach towels we found had brown rust stains on them (well, I hope they were rust and not something else!), and the food- both the room service and the breakfast buffet tasted dry and stale. If you haven't stayed at the resort before, you might not notice the difference as the location is still amazing and most of the staff are lovely but in general, the quality of service has seriously declined. When we checked out, we filled out a complaint form and just got an apologetic smile before we were taken back to our car. I do hope the resort will re-look at their standards and do something to improve them- it would be such a shame for such a lovely resort to lower itself to such poor quality!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear MichDxb

Kindly allow me to thank you for your review and comments shared about your recent visit in July this year. Rest assured that we do take any feedback seriously and constructively. I have reviewed all aspects of your review with the relevant teams here at the resort and do apologise if the resort had not met your satisfaction on this visit. This certainly is not the norm, considering the pride the team and I take in exceeding the expectations of all of our guests. Points mentioned such as the towels, and food quality in particular have been addressed, to ensure that inconveniences such as this do not reoccur.

I do hope to be able to welcome you back in order for us to show the great experience which the resort is known for.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at axel@sixsenses.com should you wish to discuss your comments further.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

This was a short 3 day trip for our 30th Wedding Anniversary. We arrived on 7th August having read it would be the last day of Ramadan. As it turned out, Eid did not start until Friday 9th in Oman, for some reason a day later than other Gulf countries. This was disappointing, as the whole place had a feeling of only being half open. The location is amazing and I cannot fault the service from all the staff, who were always helpful and smiling. I did think the Manager should have been more in evidence in the various locations and on the one occasion we did stumble upon him, I had to assume he was the Manager as he did not introduce himself. The villas are very well appointed but very noisy air-conditioning and also too close together, so not a lot of privacy when you are outside. You can hear every word being said, so if you are unlucky to be next door to a noisy family with young kids, it can be a problem. Breakfasts were good with plenty of choice, but for lunch and dinner very limited choice and very average food for exorbitant prices. Senses on the Edge, their supposed signature restaurant was closed the whole time we were there, again disappointing as it clearly stated on the website that it would be opening on 7th August. We would have delayed our arrival if we had known, not sure if we got reduced rates for the fact that several places were closed. The final check out was good, allowing us to keep the villa until 2pm and also handling a mistake on the bill with no fuss. Gratuities can be added at your discretion everytime you sign for anything but it would be nice to know that these do actually go to the staff. All in all, a relaxing few days away but I would have reservations returning, especially for the price.

Room Tip: We were in Villa 64 which if you don't want to pay the extra for beach front, you could still se...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear annie604

Please allow me to thank you for choosing Six Senses Zighy Bay for celebrating such an important event as your 30th wedding anniversary.

Kindly allow me to explain that the holy month of Ramadan's schedules are varying in different countries around the world. We had indeed scheduled to reopen all facilities which needed to remain closed due to this religious occasion on the 7th. Unfortunatley, the Eid holidays were announced to begin later than scheduled, causing the closure of both the Zighy Bar and Sense on the Edge to be postponed accordingly. Whilst we do not have any control over this, I do apologise as it had caused you an inconvenience.

My apologies for not having met you upon your arrival but I had personally been out of the resort during 2 days of your stay.

Rest assured that your comments have been shared with all concerned teams and I do hope to welcome you back to the resort.

Please feel free to contact me directly if I can assist in anything further. I can be reached under axel@sixsenses.com.

Buckingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

A birthday surprise for me, I had no idea where I was heading. I was blown away by this place, it's heaven. Arrived at the resort by para glider - not my choice, another surprise from hubby, and yes after that surprise he's still my hubby!!!! We had villa 60, not on the beach front but not a million miles away and we could see the sea from our patio area. Excellent service all round. Food was good and choice of places to eat so you don't get bored of eating in one place. Six Senses at Zighy Bay is the perfect place for a romantic trip away. There is a kids club but I can't imagine travelling to somewhere so fabulous with small children. The gym was small but we used it everyday and it had the equipment we wanted and there were no queues to use it. The Spa was a good experience too. It's very relaxing and peaceful. I can highly recommend this hotel for a romantic break.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jackie W

Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay in May of this year in our resort. I especially am glad that you came for a special occasion of your birthday. To have experienced the arrival by paraglide is a definite "must" and it's great that your husband was able to book this for you. It is one of the most sought after experiences we offer to our guests.

I will share your kind words with our hosts and certainly look forward to welcoming you and your husband back to the resort.

Please feel free to contact me if I can be of any assistance. My email address is axel@sixsenses.com.

Axel Jarosch

Been to Six Senses Zighy Bay? Share your experiences!