“Very Romantic dinner by the beach” 5 of 5 stars

Camiguin Action Geckos Dive & Adventure Resort
Agoho, Mambajao, Mindanao 9100 , Philippines   |
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Mambajao
Yokohama, Japan
“Very Romantic dinner by the beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

Very nice place, and nice people! What I would like to feature was the romantic candle lit dinner by the beach we had. Not to mention the beautiful sunset while waiting for the dinner to be prepared. Highly recommended for couples who thinks that romantic dinners by the beach are only in TVs! The resort will make it real and extra special for you!

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

Camiguin Action Gecko has everything you need: nice location, excellent food, perfect service. Needless to say, everyone in the place - from Michelle, who runs the resort, to the waiters (especially are Maya) - are warm, always helpful, and vibrant. They make you feel at home. The place is quaint and quirky which adds to the good experience. And of course, they know best how to have a great adventure in Camiguin!

One downside though is that because the resort is the closest you get to nature, bugs abound. Guests need to bring antibug lotions/sprays to minimize bites.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Beijing, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

We stayed at Action Geckos about one year ago and are glad to see on TA that the resort appears to be doing well post Typhoon Haiyan. We chose to visit Camiguin on our trip to the Philippines because we wanted to get away from places that are over crowded with tourists and experience something a little bit more secluded. Camiguin island and Action Geckos were perfect for this, as the island is only accessible by boat and away from tourist traps such as Borocay.

Action Geckos is located on a small piece of property away from the main towns on Camiguin, which we view as a plus because the towns don't have that much to offer. From Action Geckos you can easily rent a boat to take you out to White Island, which is basically a strip of sand in the middle of Sea where you can swim, sunbathe and do a bit of snorkeling. Action Geckos will also rent you a motorbike to go checkout waterfalls, hot/cold springs, volcanoes etc... around the island. But beware, there are little dogs running everywhere around the island, we almost ran into a few and and my girlfriend burned her leg on the motor of the bike while avoiding one dog.

The resort itself is quite small, but the rustic, wooden lodges have comfortable beds and nice porches to relax on. The cleaning staff also does a good job of making sure the room is kept up. It was also nicely decorated with flowers on the bed upon arrival. The food is also quite good, we enjoyed a variety of Filipino and Western dishes, all of which were decent. We would recommend Action Geckos for anybody looking to get off the beaten path and explore a nice volcanic island!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

I spent 6 night at Camiguin Action Geckos Dive & Adventure Resort, and spent all time at hotel, because that I studied OW, so there is food,hotel, dive shop, professional instructor, all of these are very suit for me, and it is located right on the beach. beyond is white beach. staff is very friendly, everyone know my name, and sey hello, Uli is a professional manager, he wouldn't trouble you if no need, but once you want to know something, he would try his best to help you(via internet or other people).
all of these, the most happiness for me is that I passed OW, Wing is my instructor, he is very professional and must be most patient during teaching me, he speak english fluently,and try to let me understand all ow course (I am a chinese). thank you, I can fly underwater and not scare again.
I will back someday, someday, I want to update my dive lever.

Room Tip: there are some options for different people, budget room, and relux room, all are clean.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
CamiguinActionGeckos, Manager at Camiguin Action Geckos Dive & Adventure Resort, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Dear Elane

Thanks for your review and I'm happy you liked your stay here.
Keep on diving and hopefully see you again.
Uli
Hellsinki
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

I was in the Philippines three times in 2013.
I was in Action Geckos three times in 2013.
I was welcomed back on a first name basis each time; the staff *simply* remembers your name. It's kind of like coming home.

I did my Dive Master certification in the professional care of Wing, the instructor, and learned loads from JetJet (the freak who sees the smallest and weirdest things from a mile away, things that a normal person would hardly see when they're on top of it!), TinTin and Max about the diving.
I stayed for a total of almost 10 weeks in June/July and October/November and enjoyed every minute of it.

The diving is excellent if you're into the macro stuff. Typically there are no big fish around the dive sites in Camiguin, no sharks, whales or manta rays, but I found an abundance of beauty in the little things (but then again, I'm a macro kind of guy).

Thanks, Uli, Wing, and all the rest of the staff for the fabulous time and I'll be back. No doubt!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Long Island City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

If you are a snobby European who does not want to experience the Filipino culture and be secluded, than this place will be great for you. They do not serve even Filipino food. I do not recommend this place for Americans or any body that wants to experience Camiguin for what it really is. Manager here is a snobby as they come.

On a positive note, the place is very nice.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
CamiguinActionGeckos, Manager at Camiguin Action Geckos Dive & Adventure Resort, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Dear guests
For those of you who like filipino food, here a small choice from our menu, valid since 2007:

* Fried Rice Bowl

Uli
Manager
Fayetteville, Arkansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I have very mixed feelings about this place. I sought this place over all the other places, because of the most positive reviews. I wish I had paid closer attention to some of the more negative ones. I would have had the best experience ever. The staff was the friendliest of all places I had been to in Camiguin. Honestly, if it wasn’t for Wing(staff called him sir wing) I would have left a very bad review.

Pro’s:
+Staff! Staff… staff… staff… I can’t express that enough. Wing and the staff were incredibly friendly, great personality, and very fun to talk to. They were willing to help us make any part of our stay or travel as comfortable as possible. Wing was also very knowledgeable about the best times, places, and sights to see and visit. He gave us all the best tips on surviving the Island hahaha. The staff would take the extra time to remember our preferences in what liked, or how we liked our drinks/food.

+Being very close to Mambajao, and right on the beach was very awesome!

+The scenery on the facility was beautiful, relaxing, warming, and just down right gorgeous. The gardens, the ambience, this was a very well designed resort.

+Food! Was absolutely amazing, but there was a con. The food may have been amazing and worth the price, but I did not want to spend 250php per person per meal. There are many different places to eat on the Island for way cheaper, and still absolutely amazing taste. I do recommend ordering the eggplant salad for dinner. I also recommend ordering dinner before 5 so when you eat it later that evening you get the free rhum and coke.

Note: Maybe offer some cheaper budget menu items? Although the restaurants close by were very more affordable.

Cons:
-Water Pressure! When we first got there it took almost 20 minutes for the pressure to kick on. It was so weak I had to clean out the small trash can to make a bucket, and wash. The hot water took forever to kick in. Honestly though, with it being so hot and the room not being air conditioned I didn't want hot water lol. After the first day it did work better. The last day(after typhoon Yolanda) the power was out. There was NO pressure. So it was bucket style bathing again.

-Traveling Cost. When I first got there with my fiancée we were confronted by the multi cab drivers offering to take us. They wanted to charge us 450php. When we called Gecko they said if they were to set it up then it would cost us 600php. The driver told us that if we took the jeepney it would be so long and uncomfortable, because of the long, long, long and windy road. However, he was not being honest. Our trip back to the port cost us 30php on the moterela to Mambajao proper town(including a very large suitcase). The jeepney to Benoni port cost us 23 php each. The total ride time was less than an hour. So you can keep that in mind when you travel here.

-When I first got there I was warmly greeted by the owner. I was told that they had double booked my last day by accident, but they had 2 options available. 1) I stay in the beach cottage I reserved for 4 days, then the last I move to the beach bungalow anyways. 2) I go ahead and move to the beach bungalow now and he will give me back 300php credit daily. At first I was ok with it. I really wanted my first pick, but I didn’t want to have to move my stuff. The real difference was the bed was not as nice as the one I wanted, and it was smaller. My fiancée and I took the cheaper route. It wasn’t until later we realized we were cheated a little. The price difference in the advertised prices was 400 php not 300. We never argued the price further, so our fault. I also started considering the situation. I had booked mine 4 weeks prior. 4 weeks is plenty of time to tell me or the other person of the situation. If I had booked first why was I being forced to move? If the other person booked first, why was I not contacted earlier? Honestly given the earlier notification I might have stayed somewhere else, or booked 3 days there and 2 at another. So this to me was not good business.

Honestly the staff gets 5 stars, but I feel the owner deserves a 3 for lack of professionalism. I would have given him a 1, but he did manage to make my fiancée and I feel safer during the typhoon Yolanda. When I first asked if there were alternatives or shelters available he laughed and said there were no shelters. Later the next morning Mr. Wing informed us the owner was putting us up at the Paras Beach Resort since they had concrete buildings, and generator back up power. I have to agree with the others who posted saying that they felt he wasn’t as cozy to guest as he was to the Europeans.

Other: Payment. What almost turned out to be a nightmare for me and my fiancée worked out for the best. So its going in a more neutral setting. We did not have enough for the tab as I was expecting to pay with my World Travelers Credit Card. I left all my other money at my fiancées families house, and brought just enough cash for shopping and eating local places. BE WARNED: Do not expect to pay the tab with your Credit Card. Thankfully I was able to finally work out some payment arraignments. This wouldn’t be so bad if they would fix their credit card machine. They said apparently it has been broken for some time. They should fix that.

I do think the owner means well, and he offers really great action packages for touring the Island. We just did not feel he was as accommodating to us as he was the Europeans. However, the staff more than made up for that.

Room Tip: Beach bungalo great morning view, not so great mattress. The fan in the room works amazing wonders t...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
CamiguinActionGeckos, Manager at Camiguin Action Geckos Dive & Adventure Resort, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Steve

Thanks a lot for this review. We are always trying to listen to our customers and then improve our resort & service.
I'm sorry that you were not 100% satisfied which is our aim.
But there are some points I would like to clarify:

There are no official shelters on Camiguin. As soon as we realised how strong the Typhoon will be, I advised our staff to evacuate you to the Paras Beach Resort. The room in Paras is P4,000/night - double of our room prices - we shouldered the extra expenses for 2 nights and didn't ask you for any additional payment. We tried to keep you guys safe. That was and is always our main concern!

In and around Leyte more than 10,000 people are dying or missing because of the typhoon Yolanda, a power cut on Camiguin with no water pressure shouldn't really be a problem to write about!
The same is valid for the credit card payment. Due to the Typhoon many lines were and are still disconnected.

We are organising right now a donation for the thousands of victims and their families.

We hope you will still have a nice holiday wherever you go in the Philippines.

Thank you for your kind understanding.
Uli (Manager)

Been to Camiguin Action Geckos Dive & Adventure Resort? Share your experiences!