“5 Star Staff” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 16 Mambajao B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“5 Star Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

When I arrived at Camiguin, I hired a taxi to drive me around so I could look at a half dozen hotels. While not the fanciest of the bunch, I chose this hotel because Phillip (owner) was so helpful in our first conversation. When I booked in, RJ (manager) took over and turned my stay into a 5-star experience. He connected me with a guide for climbing, a massage lady (think her name was Jolie) for muscle relaxation, and went beyond the call of duty to help get me organized for forward travel.

This is a very clean hotel, great location, rooms are average and by that I mean - not fancy, just basic and reflective of a mid range hotel for Asia - but I can tell you this after traveling for 9 weeks through Asia.....any chance you get the opportunity to stay at a 3.5 star hotel with 5 star staff, you'll be way happier than at a 5 star hotel with 3.5 star staff.

This hotel offers excellent value.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Pipong19, Owner at Camiguin Island Golden Sunset Beach Club, responded to this review, May 31, 2014
It's heartening to hear your compliments RJ and the Beach Club team work hard at making everyone's stay a pleasant one.
The people of Camiguin make the visit here special from tour guides to market vendors there's something special, feels like your stepping back in time away from the hullabaloo of modern day life.
Balik-Baliki

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Quezon City, Quezon City, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

We only stayed overnight, but I very much enjoyed my stay here. I loved that it had a nice pool, and was only a boat ride away from the White Island. I enjoyed the little decorative touches like the weather forecast stone, and the kitschy looking bar. The only problem we had was that the air conditioning in our room shut off at 4AM, waking us all up. Overall, we had a pleasant stay, and we're definitely going stay here if we're in Camiguin again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Pipong19, Owner at Camiguin Island Golden Sunset Beach Club, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Great to hear our Weather Forcasting stone amused you (hope we never have to test the Tusunami setting!)
Pity you had a brown out, they are far fewer than before and local efforts are working to improve supply. Always welcome return visitors join our FB page Camiguin Island Golden Sunset Beach Club for up dates and news.
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

My husband and I seldom do any reviews but we want to take this opportunity to let people know that the best resort in Camiguin is "Camiguin Island Golden Sunset Beach Club. Phil and Sue are awesome owner and hosts of this wonderful place. While we stayed at the resort for 4 nights they made us feel like we are part of their family. I found the resort thru searching in the internet 2 years ago and I went to a lots of inquiries with different resorts on their neighborhood, and for some reasons I ended chatting with Phil and Sue via facebook and since then I always following what's going on to their resorts and all the updates on their website. When we landed at Mambajao Airport, Phil personally picked up us with his Limousine (Goldie) and we met Sue when we arrived at the resort. The couple are very friendly and likes to share some stories about Camiguin Island which is very informative and educational. As soon as our foot steps on their resort we already feel at home :). The whole staffs are very accommodating and helpful to what we need. The foods are Ok and very affordable. We got the best beach front suite which is overlooking While Island Beach (added attraction) We will definitely be back to this resort and looking forward to bring my nieces and nephew with us.

Room Tip: Rooms on beach front are awesome.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Pipong19, Owner at Camiguin Island Golden Sunset Beach Club, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
It's always nice to receive complements and the staff get a boost on hearing the nice things you said. Look forward to your next visit, book direct with our website and pay cash to save 5%
Best Wishes Phil n Sue
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

I stayed for three weeks at Golden sunset resort. I thoroughly enjoyed every moment.
The staff eg. Argie are more than helpful and couldn't do enough. The rooms are clean and fresh towels received daily, more on request if you wish for days out etc.
The owners Phil and Sue we're more than helpful, organising our day time adventures and island hopping excursions.
I stayed with my partner and her son over the Christmas and New Year period. We were invited to join all the staff just before Christmas day as they hosted a Staff Christmas party. We participated in their traditional party games which made for some great photo's and videos for family back home. Downside, we didn't actually win any of the games, I blame my partner (but don't tell her).
Sue and Phil hosted Christmas day dinner and again staff and all guests were invited. We enjoyed a traditional Turkey dinner with all the trimmings.
New Year was probably the most memorable I will ever have. We enjoyed the local rum (Tanduay) and bonfire on the resorts beach. At midnight we attempted to set off Chinese lanterns to poor avail due to sea breeze and too many Tanduay's. Again, this made for a hilarious evening and great snaps for home.
Whilst on Camiguin, we went to the giant clam nursery, a complete surreal experience for someone who has never been snorkelling before.
We took a day trip to White island, this is a 20 minute boat ride directly facing Golden Sunset beach resort, Argie helped organise this excursion and ensured our needs were catered for.
Using the resorts Jeeps which are available to hire for an extremely reasonable price (including fuel) we visited most areas the island has to offer including Ardent hot springs (amazing hangover cure), Soda Springs, Cold Springs, Sunken cemetery, Mantigue Island, Mabajao town centre and many other sites.
For anyone seeking a thrill, I thoroughly recommend the Camiguin Lagoon zip line experience. It was awesome, three lines which enabled us three to have a race across the lagoon, secret to my win, keep your arms by your side for speed! Amazing time.
Food at Golden sunset was good, if you like Filipino food, try Sue's adobo, you'll not be disappointed. It was beautiful. The frankfurters were the biggest I've seen, that includes the German Markets in Manchester.
If you wish to eat elsewhere I recommend a short drive up the road to Northern Lights. Speciality pizza but please try the Pancit Canton (noodles), best two people attack this dish unless your called Adam from Man vs Food! Delicious! Again the owner's Linus and Mahal are so friendly.
Overall I would honestly recommend anyone travelling to the Philippines to make a stop on Camiguin Island and if you do so, Golden Sunset is the place to stay especially if you're not so sure on the how's and when's and what to do's.
We have already set the date for our next trip in 2015 and we cannot wait!
See you in 2015 Phil and Sue.
Lance Conway

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

There is no need to go any further than Golden Sunset Beach Club when visiting Camiguin, if you want a home away from home. This idyllic little holiday paradise is owned and managed by a British couple Philip and his Philippine born wife, Sue Sykes. They have worked so hard to build this resort into a very welcoming abode for those people holidaying on this beautiful island retreat. With pleasant location and comfortable accommodation along with an excellent menu to cater for all tastes. With a swimming pool and well stocked bar you truly will feel at home after a day touring the various island attractions.
If you don't have transport of your on you can hire the resorts Jeep (self drive) or motorcycle if you wish, but book in advance.

Room Tip: Rooms are located near the beach or close to the Poolside for those who like to take a longer lay in...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Pipong19, Owner at Camiguin Island Golden Sunset Beach Club, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Cheers, we thank you for your comments always good to be liked;-)
Maryborough, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

The owners are very helpful and friendly (English/Filipina), entertainment area overlooking the ocean is fantastic spot for a meal, pool is nice, beds and pillows are good, rooms are ok, good range and variety of food available not just philippino food, bathroom is a bit poor and water pressure is weak, great spot as a base point to visit the islands attractions. I hired the hotel motorbike for 400 piso per day and it was great.

Room Tip: beachfront rooms are more expensive but have a great view, not so good if the weather goes bad, pool...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

My stay at golden sunset was wonderful. The service from staff was very good. The owners of the resort are very welcoming and accommodating. The room was very good and was an affordable price as well as being clean and cosy. It was in a good location on the island. I stayed in the room facing the sea facing the white island; this was a bonus as it gave me for pleasure for enjoying the view. The restaurant was surrounded by exotic plants and flowers which gives it an addition pleasant moment to relax. They have a very delicious Spanish scrabbled eggs for breakfast which I had every day. I strongly recommend this resort to everyone and I will be staying there again in the near future.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Been to Camiguin Island Golden Sunset Beach Club? Share your experiences!