“Not (quite) as bad as other reviews suggest” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Leyte Park Resort Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tacloban
Leyte Park Resort Hotel
You added Leyte Park Resort Hotel to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Magsaysay Boulevard, Tacloban, Leyte Province, Philippines   |
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Tacloban
Muenster
“Not (quite) as bad as other reviews suggest”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

The Leyte Park Hotel is one of those places where choice of rooms clearly matters more than in other places. Having read the reviews I had some trepidations about encountering the place that had been booked for me and a colleague. Location, as has been pointed out by others, is very good, and even first impression was quite reassuring. The lobby looks ok, though it has quite some signs of wear – and is clearly a bit outdated. Staff (throughout our 10 day stay) were extremely friendly, a definite plus. We were apparently lucky to have Surpreme Cottages (about 50US$) booked, and those felt rather nice. Very spacious (see photo), and nice, solid wooden architecture. Details, however, were less pretty – furtature with tired hinges and other signs of age, and a (huge) bathroom that was also in need of a makeover. But overall not a bad room at all. With TV/Aircon/fridge/phone it has most things needed, and when I asked I was brought a water kettle immediately.

I had to move to an appartment for the last 2 nights (it had been clear from the beginning that I could only have my reservation until a certain day, and had expected to move to another hotel – in the end they found a space in one of the appartments). This felt more modern but not as cozy as the wooden cottage.

The rest of the resort-type had mixed views. The more modern chalets and appartments looked ok, while the main building with the standard rooms looked very worn from the outside. The pool area is also old fashioned but quite clean. Unfortunately there was only (wireless) internet access in the lobby, but connection strength and speed were good. Breakfast wasn't too exciting. It’s not included in the room charge, and choice was rather limited (most Filipino cousine and some toast and fruit).
There is a decent Spa on the premises, and a pier-side restaurant that is ok, though in town are better options.

Overall, the stay at the LPH was much better than expected, but room type seems to be critical. I would return to the Supreme Cottage.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Olongapo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2009

stayed for 4 nights, had a great time around the pool, service was slow but staff were cheerfull and friendly, restaurant needs new cook, place is getting old and nothing works, but still the best of a bad lot

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2009

Being a frequent traveller to Tacloban, I've got to know nearly all the hotels in the city, and Leyte Park disappoints. Perfect location, stunning sea views, but thats it.

We checked in, with a standard twin-bedded room, but within 10 minutes, we checked out again and they had the cheek to charge us for one night. The pictures reveal all. Discarded cigarette butts on the balcony, beds that sank to the floor, a bathroom clearly about to fall apart and a tourist guide from 1996?!!!

Leyte Park has the potential to be the best hotel in Leyte, but it needs a complete overhaul, better still shut the place down and maybe rebuild it.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
San Marino, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2009

This place needs a lot of fixing. Not sure if it wise to go here for a honeymoon. My partner was kind of shock when we got there. So ashame so I was forced to check out and find another hotel. It's in a very nice location but thats about it. I dont think they even maintain the building. Its like a building with no paint and nothing works.
We flew back to Makati and back to normal. Took him to Palawan and that made his trip!He's a happy camper after that. I wish management can do something to clean and fix the place.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Perrry, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2009

The staff was pleasant, the food was good, the service was excellent , we came back again in 2008 and received the same results, I do not understand why any one would have anything negative to say about this Landmark Resort, we will return.

Lee & Geri Lydic now residing in Ohio USA

• Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

After renting an "apartelle" in the hotel, I was stunned when leaving to be told I owed 7,000 pesos for electricity and water. This was for 2 weeks, but after the initial room cost I was fuming at the obvious rip off of it. It really left a bad taste in my mouth (and still does). We were told it would be an average of 1,000 pesos a week, so go figure. I can say the apartelle itself is fairly good though; with a sink, hotplate, microwave, fridge and rice cooker you can save by cooking up some local meats and veges which we did. Make sure you keep the receipts from room service, I had another shock when checking out: they tried to charge me for everything I ordered again, saying I hadnt paid. Are you seeing a pattern here? I will say this for the staff; at least if I asked for something like extra hangers or chairs or whatnot, they were as obliging as they could be.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2009

I cant believe this place is still in business, What you see in the website is just a fantasy. I have a feeling that place is not perfect but this is the only place that looks decent on the web so I took a chance. WRONG MOVE!! This is a not a resort. I call this a dump!
The goverment needs to shut this place down. They have no business operating a hotel in this condition. They want 65 US dollars for this place! I have been to cheap hotels but this is the the worst hotel I have seen in my whole entire life!
Tacloban is nice but this hotel.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business

Been to Leyte Park Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!