“A place with character” 5 of 5 stars
Review of New Acropol Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Morogoro
New Acropol Hotel
You added New Acropol Hotel to your Saves list
P.O. Box 78, Morogoro, Tanzania   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Morogoro
Nairobi, Kenya
“A place with character”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2010

The New Acropol is completely unlike any other hotel in Morogoro, full of character and a thoroughly interesting place to stay. Yes it has its quirks, but when you travel a lot and places start looking the same, accommodation like this is a welcome change. The rooms are large and uniquely furnished, the bar is convivial, the food is good, the prices are fair and the wi-fi works (good enough for Skype). The owners love their dogs and some of the fittings aren't exactly brand new, but that's part of the charm and regulars come back time after time. Take time to get to know the management and the history of the place, before writing it off (as some reviewers have without even spending the night there).

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

After having emailed the hotel and not getting any responses for over 1 week, I decided to call the hotel to find out about prices and room availability. I have never had such a bad experience. I am a very polite and level headed person but imagine to my surprise the 'North American' sounding woman who answered the phone kept speaking over me, interrupting me and was in such a hurry to get off the phone that I felt I was inconveniencing her. I'm not sure if it was my 'African' sounding name or the fact that whomever answered the phone was having a bad day but I have never been so rudely spoken to in my life. I started to ask about prices and before I could complete my question/sentence, she interrupted with much ATTITUDE telling me "the room is $100 or more" - period - as if it's a deterrent from staying there. How humiliating! The decision was made right there and then. I did not stay at this hotel and neither did my other 2 friends whose business I was bringing with me. Stay at the Princess Lodge. Very clean, newly renovated, tidy and modern rooms. The owner (Zahra who also goes by Shangazi) is very polite and welcomed us to the hotel with open arms. Glad we didn't stay at the New Acropol. Best decision ever!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

This hotel offers quite good value for money (for Tanzanian standards). Rooms are large, cool and neatly furnished, although not exactly spotless. The house itself (which hosts the bar and restaurant area) is charming with lots of decor and adequate furniture as well as a nice garden along the main road. Food was definitely not great but from what I hear there are no better options in town anyway... Another slight disadvantage is the proximity to the noisy main road. Service was generally good and they were very quick in offering us another room when we discovered some hygienic flaws in the first one in which we had been put.

Overall we were pleased as the hotel is not as grim and bland as other choices that you usually find in this price range.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Kenya
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

Having read and heard that the New Acropol in the centre of Morogoro was a charming place to stay, I was very disappointed that I could not contact the hotel to make a booking. We even tried through an agency as their website was down and no listed numbers worked. I reluctantly settled on a self catering cottage at Mbuyuni.
When we arrived in Morogoro I insisted we went to the Acropol for lunch. Wow - was I glad that we were not staying there. Although you could see the faded glory of the place and it certainly still qualified as eccentric, it was really grubby. I didn't see the rooms to be honest, but judging by the filth everywhere else, I would not imagine the rooms would be much better.
My vegetable curry may as well have been dishwater for all it tasted of. The rest of the families food was slightly more edible, but not very good. The European manager was very unfriendly and quite rude to my children who took an interest in the puppy she was nursing.
Mbuyuni on the other hand was gorgeous - what a find!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Hannover
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2010

A little bit out of the city centre of Morogoro at Old Morogoro Road you will find this lovely place.

The hotel will remind you of "good old times". It is built in a colonial style and decorated with lots of African art objects.

Usually I stop at this place just to have a break during my regular trips through Tanzania. But this time I had the opportunity to stay overnight to avoid an uncomfortable and dangerous drive at night.

My room was nice, comfortable, very clean and silent, equipped with air condition, fan, TV and good mosquito net. The price is absolutely o.k.

The whole staff, especially Michelle, the owner, is very friendly, attentive and helpful.

The restaurant offers a large variety and very good quality of food at reasonable prices. This is something you would not expect at such a place in East Africa. Maybe the dining room could be a little brighter. But who cares if you have the chance to enjoy your meal or drink on the veranda in front of the house ? There, surrounded by a well-tended garden with some old trees, you will be impressed by a fantastic view of the Uluguru mountains near Morogoro.

This is why New Acropol Hotel is always a very nice place for a rest or for a good lunch or dinner, too. Whenever I pass through Morogoro it is a "must" for me.

After all I cannot confirm - end even cannot understand - what one (only one !) former reviewer reported (waiting for food etc.). Things may take some time here - they usually do in Africa ! If you are impatient or in a hurry - do not come to this great continent !

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Reading, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2010

I spent a week at the New Acropol in late Feb 2010. I would stay there again: so many nice features.
Room -- Mr Tom -- was large, with a nice desk at which to work. Good firm bed, large, with good mossie net. Had both fan and AC. Nice decorations, felt like home.
Got wireless connection: not that fast, but works reasonably well.
Breakfast: as large as you like.
Staff: v friendly, attentive.
Evening food: pretty good
Ambience is distinctly quirky: it's a small hotel that feels as though one's staying with a rich friend. Decor is 'Out of Africa'. If you like shiny modern hotels, don't go. But this was nice. Quiet as well. The rooms are away from the road.
If and when I return to Morogoro, I wouldn't imagine staying anywhere else.

Steve W.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2010

I have visited Morogoro several times over the past 3 years, stayed in several hotels for extendeded periods, and The New Acropol run by Michelle Bragg is definatley the best. To date, in total, I have stayed there approximately 3 months!

The spacious rooms all have large double beds with clean mosquito nets, AC, fridge and cable TV. All have en sutie bath/shower rooms with hot water on demand. Additionally, each room has a sofa or soft chairs for relaxing/reading or watching the tv and a desk for working.

The staff are friendly and attentive and always greet customers with a smile. The food is excellent and meals can be taken in the restaurant or on the wonderful verandah at the front of the hotel - also a good place for a drink in the evening (there is a well stocked bar) and Michele is always the ultimate hostess, introducing fellow guests ad customers(whether holidaymakers or visiting NGO workers/researchers/academics ) with local Tanzanians and the ex-pat community. The place is usually abuzz with a mixture of people at any one time and that is just the way Michelle likes it; and what gives it great ambiance. On high days and holidays Michele has been known to throw some wonderful parties for guests and visitors. The bar inside is also a great place to meet people or shoot a game of pool in the evening.

I note the reviewer who mentioned waiting for food etc - this has never been my experience but I would say to potential holiday makers that sometimes things do take a little longer in Africa (this is a developing country and power cuts etc do occur) However, don't let it ruin your holiday, if you think it might then perhaps this isn't the continent for you.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business

Been to New Acropol Hotel? Share your experiences!