“New Acropol” 3 of 5 stars
Review of New Acropol Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Morogoro
New Acropol Hotel
You added New Acropol Hotel to your Saves list
P.O. Box 78, Morogoro, Tanzania   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Morogoro
Seascale, United Kingdom
“New Acropol”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Unique or idiosyncratic - this hotel has not changed in 40 years according to a fellow guest. The food is excellent, the ambience wonderful, the room just reasonable - the shower curtain was falling off the walls. The proprietor is larger than life and welcoming!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

Stayed in Acropol hotel in Aug 2011. Travelling on business - needed internet to do my work and it would not work. The owner gave me the password to the wi-fi and vague instructions on getting her network. It would not work. I was able to see the network, but could not connnect. I tried every possible way and trouble shot everything, would not work. Asked the owner to re-boot the network, Owner was no help, as she had not set up the network herself and didn't seem very tech savy. I incurred a huge phone bill so that I could contact home. Glad other reviewers were able to use the wi-fi. Be WARNED, it might not work.

My first time to Africa, I didn't expect much. Room was big and had musty smelling a/c unit. Everything looked like it could use some updating...see photos. Also room looked like it could use a thorough cleaning...everything seemed dusty. Hard time sleeping due to dog barking. Always had hot water when needed for shower. Food was decent/edible, waitstaff was good. Although I did not partake, the bar seemed well stocked and would probably be a good place for low-key socializing. The lounge & dining rooms were dark (poorly lit) and stuffed with symbols of Africa. Think old British out post.

If I had to go to Morogoro again, I would not stay here and instead try a different hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Morogoro, Tanzania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

Want a nice surprise as you travel through Tanzania? If you find yourself in Morogoro don’t miss the New Acropol Hotel and restaurant. This is a small hotel unlike any other in Tanzania. It is owned and operated by Michelle Bragg, a friendly Canadian woman who has lived for over two decades in Morogoro. The decor matches her personality – colorful, quirky, informal and fascinating. You can see what I mean by looking at their website - www.newacropolhotel.com. They have many satisfied returning guests and can fill up quickly, so book ahead.

The eight hotel rooms are large and well furnished, with air conditioning, fridge, desk, sofa and lots of small amenities. Wireless internet is included in the room price. The rooms are uniquely decorated; each with a very homey feel so you can relax from your travels. The cooked-to-order breakfast is included with the room price and is served at any time of the day, so sleep in – they will make your food to order when you are ready.

The restaurant is fun, with mostly North-American style cuisine, and the menu offers many items available nowhere else in town, like bruschetta and ratatouille. The portions are generous, but take-away is no problem. Important note from a long-time Morogoro resident – this is the only restaurant in Morogoro where I feel safe eating raw vegetables and asking for ice in my drinks. I know they sterilize the veggies and use filtered or bottled water for their ice.

They have cocktails and specialty coffees, as well as daily food specials. You have the choice of eating in the garden, on the veranda, in the bar, or in the dining room. You can even have drinks in one area and shift to another when your food is ready. It’s a neat experience. One thing you need to know – you will often see lovely little dogs or a cat around, but if you are allergic please let the staff know so they can arrange for them to be elsewhere.

My food favorites:
When calamari is available (they only buy the best), it is cooked to perfection.
The beef mishkaki (grilled meat on a stick) is the best in the world, in my humble opinion.
Their french fries (aka chips) are great. They leave the skin on and cook them in two stages.

Whether stopping in for lunch as you pass through or staying for a while, you will be glad you came.

Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Bristol
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

OK, having read the other reviews here, we thought we'd give it a go--thinking it would be charming in a quirky way.
It definitely has some potentially appealing quirks and character (the other review mentioning "faded glory" was apt), but overall the place is pretty sad. Issues:
* The owner/operator was difficult and unpleasant to deal with on the phone, was not very welcoming in person when we arrived, and didn't respond to multiple e-mails (though she did respond to the couple requests/questions we had).
* The place could stand a thorough cleaning, and there's a lot of junk around which could be thrown out. The towels, sofa, and closet in the bedroom are gross, and her dog peed on the floor in the bar while we were there.
* As regards eating, at least when we stayed there, the dining room was oppressively dark and empty, and not appealing. We decided to eat at the bar, which was a little better. The food itself was borderline inedible, unfortunately, though the Lonely Planet guide we had misleadingly called it "Nouvelle Cuisine." Arranging a glass of wine for us proved impossible (the beer we had instead was fine), though we overheard one of the owner/operator's friends asking the bartender to get a bottle out of a secret personal stash. And in a town with abundant access to beautiful fresh fruit they don't provide fresh fruit juice for breakfast.
On the positive side, the A/C and WiFi worked fine, the price is definitely low (Tsh65K/night), and the place is a short walk to the town centre (which we were told by a couple sources is safe in the daytime though not at night).
Be warned: Morogoro is a bit grim, and doesn't have a great deal to offer visitors. The mountains around are beautiful, though, and we had a good time and some nice interactions while buying some textiles in the market.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

"Faded Glory" is the term that kept coming back to us. We saw so many little things that could be done to restore some of the class... not expensive re-fits, but just a thorough cleaning and discarding things too damaged to be repaired. I tried to take a nice picture of the garden and veranda - but couldn't. Too many old, broken things setting around, too much dirt... just a kind of lack of concern for the details. The interior could be warm and charming... but it is just tired.

We may have been there on an off day. It was Saturday night. Staff were helpful, though English was very limited. It seemed like only one other room had someone staying, and the young people on the veranda all disappeared right after we got there. We were the only people in the bar, in the restaurant, on the veranda... and even then, service was pretty slow!

But this is Africa. Our room ($35) was large and cheery and the air conditioner worked somewhat. The internet was down with no guess as to when it would be operating again. We had water. Food was better than OK... a pretty decent schnitzel and chipsi for me, French onions soup for She, a shared desert - a carrot-spice cake with a creme sauce, 2 beers - $12.00.

We didn't look at any other places in Morogoro... I think we'd head back to the New Acropol again now that we've seen some more rustic lodgings around Tanzania...

Room Tip: As with any hotel off the tourist trail, ask to see the room and question the price. Look at a coup...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

This past summer I spent two months in and around Morogoro, and the New Acropol Hotel was by far, my favorite discovery! I couldn't believe I spent nearly a month without stumbling into the friendly atmosphere, the greatest food in town, and the full bar.

Located an easy walk from the mountains and city center, you can do almost anything while staying here. The wonderful hotel owner will help offer suggestions and make arrangements for your free time in Morogoro. Mikumi National Park is an easy 1.5 hour drive from the Hotel, making for a delightful day trip to catch some scenery and wildlife!

The kitchen and wait staff are extremely friendly, always working with smiles on their faces. There is plenty of seating outside on the lovely veranda for those looking to enjoy the peaceful view of the mountain or the stars at night.

Just inside the front door is an amazingly fun bar area, with lounge seating and historical decor on all the walls- old African pictures, trophies, and large paper mache animals to name a few! Such a fun place to have a drink (or casual dinner) and imagine the stories the decor holds! This is the only place in town I could find to have a proper cocktail!

Step into the dining room for a more formal dinner or catered group meal and enjoy the high ceilings and, decorations and African materials.

The rooms are in the back, away from the road with another patio for relaxing on. The rooms are very clean with nice western toilet & hot water shower, mosquito nets, A/C, fan, TV with cable, mini-fridge, and desk in case you need to work! (and free wifi around the hotel for customers!)

You can also have a massage or pedicure/manicure while staying at the New Acropol Hotel! Although I didn't have time to take advantage of the opportunity myself, I heard great reviews from other customers!

The owner really topped the experience. Laughter can be heard throughout the lounge areas and customers are happy as the hotel provides a fun "home away from home" in Morogoro. I will definitely be returning!

Room Tip: Ask about the Family Suite!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

The New Acropol Hotel is a fantastic restaurant and hotel. Located near the center of Morogoro, it is in a prime location for experiencing the city and surrounding area.

The rooms of the hotel are nicer than any of the other hotels I saw in Morogoro. They are comfortable and with plush beds with mosquito nets, showers with hot water, televisions with cable, and mini-refrigerators they are outfitted with everything one needs to make the stay enjoyable.

I ate at the restaurant frequently during my two months stay in Morogoro. The food is excellent, and the chips and the mishkaki are the best I had in Tanzania (and I ate both all over Tanzania). The drinks are great, they have most of the local beers available as well as one of the largest bars I saw there. The hotel rarely experiences power cuts like the rest of the town, so you are guaranteed to get cold drinks when there.

I got to know the owner Michelle quite well when there. She is funny and a kind lady. She gave great advice on places to go and see in and around Morogoro including Mikumi National Park and places to see and stay in Dar Es Salaam. She has lived there for 28 years and knows the culture well. Her guests are well cared for, and I saw her go out of her way to get medicine and travel arrangements for her guests for trips that were well outside of Morogoro.

The New Acropol Hotel is highly recommended for both the hotel and the restaurant. You will miss out on your stay in Morogoro if you don't at least drop in for a drink.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Been to New Acropol Hotel? Share your experiences!