“Cheap as (Danish) chips” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel CABINN Scandinavia

You added Hotel CABINN Scandinavia to your Saves list
Hotel CABINN Scandinavia
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vodroffsvej 55, Frederiksberg, Copenhagen 1900, Denmark   |
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Frederiksberg
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Cheap as (Danish) chips”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2009

Stayed here while attending a conference in central Copenhagen. Chose it because it was cheap and recommended by my conference.

Basically, in Danish terms, you get what you pay for. It is a budget hotel; the room had 3 beds (two of which were bunks) and a shower. It was tiny and clean though the carpets had stains. The shower room had a broken bulb which never got fixed despite my requests. The breakfasts were ok but you're probably better off going elsewhere.

The location is rather nice, just a minute from the lakes and only a 15 minute walk to the city centre. In theory the walk is through Copenhagen's red-light district but even that is fairly Danish and reserved.

I guess I would only recommend this hotel if you wanted somewhere cheap that wasn't a hostel and wasn't too much of a walk downtown. The place isn't bad but you're probably better off spending more for a better hotel or less for a hostel of some sort.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Turkish first
Denmark
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2009

Be careful - double doesn't mean double in this hotel.
We booked a double room and we get the smallest room in the world with 3 single beds: one above another with a ladder and a pull-out bed not equal size.
Bathroom was size of a shower cabin.
Rooms have not enough space for 2 adults and they squize eaven 3 peole in this rooms which are smaller than rooms on a ferry.
If you want a biger room - double, you have to pay extra. Parking - extra fee. Free coffee and tea - yes but no sugar.
You can find a better hotels for the same price in Copenhagen.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Keflavik, Iceland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2009

I usually stay at this hotel when I'm in Denmark. It's situated in a very nice and quite neigborhood in walking distance from the City Center and very close to a trainstation. They have a private parking lot and a very good breakfast buffet. The rooms are very small, especially the bathrooms, but for a short weekend break with friends it's just perfect! And it's very resonally priced.
I'm not sure I would travel there with my kids - the rooms are just not big enough...

• Liked — Atmosphere
  • Disliked — Showercurtain
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2008

We came to the CabInn expecting it to be a tiny little hole of a pokey room and a miniature bathroom. The location is phenomenal. A short walk (5 min maybe) to the S-train, the Copenhagen train station (10-15 min), or the metro with direct connection to the airport (<5min). Needless to say we used public transit the whole time we were there. Our room was actually surprisingly large and bright. The room was clean, and there were feather beds on each of the bunks. Because of weight concerns (mine, though I was assured by the front desk that they have never had a problem) we had the trundle bed pulled out during our stay. There was still a decent path between the beds big enough to run our 26 inch rolling luggage between them. There was also a huge window that opened giving good ventilation and making the room seem even larger. The bathroom was miniature, but once I figured out the sink/shower water system and pulled the curtain around as far as it would go the space felt adequate and I didn't even get the whole bathroom wet (except the floor). There was no closet per se but there was a hanging area that fit the 26 inch bag underneath. There was also a heating pot and instant coffee and tea with cups for us to use, a nice touch. The breakfast buffet is all cold and 10Euro. We never ended up there. Over all the CabInn Scandinavia is a great budget place in the heart of Copenhagen. The staff was very helpful whenever we needed anything and there is free wireless in the lounge next to the lobby. the desk is open 24/7 and has snackish food for sale. There is also an elevator. A nice first during this trip.

• Liked — price, location
  • Disliked — size
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
Wellington, NZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2008

Hotels in Scandinavia are expensive which is why we went for CabInn. There were two of us in a "Family" room. The rooms really are too small. Fine for 1 person, not really two, and I have no idea how 4 people would fit into the room (there were 4 beds!). Bathroom is tiny. But it is clean, free internet on ground floor, and is pretty central. The street is quiet, little traffic noise, and it isn't far to the train station. I would stay at CabInn again, but one person to a room only.

• Liked — Location, and cost
  • Disliked — Rooms are too small
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Baltimore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2008

I am out a couple hundred dollars because I was unable to make any sort of contact with this hotel through email or by phone, to cancel my reservations. Due to unfortunate circumstances, I was not able to go on my trip to Copenhagen, but when I tried to contact this hotel MULTIPLE times over the course of a couple days, I received no response whatsoever, and was unable get my money back. I used the email and phone numbers on their website, and in the confirmation email I was given when I booked. I am considering filing a complaint with the appropriate authorities, though it may not be worth the trouble, since Denmark is far away from where I live.

Do not book this hotel if you have ANY doubts about making it to your destination, it will be a waste of money. Save yourselves the hassle and book somewhere else.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — They took my money and then were unavailable to cancel my reservation
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Manchester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2008

We stayed at the Cabinn for four nights in July.
The rooms are incredibly small, I've stayed in places with supposedly small rooms but these were small rooms, suitable for Hobbits if you will.

We had 3 guys sharing and one of the beds was attached to the wall, it didn't feel all that secure and it wasn't even made when we arrived. The other two beds weren't quite singles which meant there wasn't really enough room for 2. We ended up making a bed on the floor so we had enough space.

In hindsight we should have realised that when the reviews said small, it was small but as i've said before we thought it was American small, not European small!

The hotel is in a great location but is incredibly basic, it is quite clean. The staff aren't very friendly though they got the job done, there is a free internet ready Mac in the lobby for guests to use which was a plus.

We didn't get breakfast at the hotel, it didn't look great at all, Cafe Cici just down the road does an amazing brunch for 11 onwards for only 49 Kroner which was far better.

All in all, I wouldn't recommend it for 3 people but maybe if you are two smaller people on a budget this place would be a possibility but if you find something even remotely better i would take it!!

• Liked — Internet in lobby
  • Disliked — Rooms
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel CABINN Scandinavia? Share your experiences!