“A real taste of the countryside” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Round Meadow Barn

Round Meadow Barn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hope
Round Meadow Barn
You added Round Meadow Barn to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Parsons Lane, Hope, Peak District National Park S33 6RB, England   |
Ranked #7 of 8 Hope B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“A real taste of the countryside”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

The views from this B&B which stands in an elevated position in the Hope Valley are a real treat to wake up to or even if you're sat out in the garden which the owners are happy to let you do.
I've have now stayed at Round Meadow twice and found my hosts to be very pleasant and friendly people. The pub at the end of the road serves some great food also. As some other reviews point out, Round Meadow Barn is accessed via an enclosed field where either cattle or sheep may be grazing - hence it is necessary to open and close gates. For me, this only adds to the experience of being in the country and I had some fun last time as many an inquisitive cow came to greet me as I made my way across the track in my car. There are a couple of stables on site with friendly horses too. I've now stayed in two rooms at this B&B - both to a high standard with all the comforts and trimmings you come to expect of higher grade hotels. My only advice would be to make sure you take your own toiletries e.g. shower gel, shampoo etc. as these are not normally provided in my experience. As for cooked breakfast - it's the full Monty and you won't leave hungry. There's plenty of cereals and juices on offer otherwise. I will return!

Room Tip: I believe the nicest of the rooms - particularly if you're a romantic couple seeking a weekend a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

If you wouldnt want to have the view in the picture I've attatched out your bedroom window, or out of the kitchen window while youre eating a wonderful home cooked traditional english breakfast (with, by the way, the best locally made black pudding you'll ever taste !) ... then dont go to Round Meadow barn !!

Equally, I suppose I must add, having looked at a couple of the other reviews for Round Meadow here, it would seem kinda dumb to turn up here dressed for the boardroom in a business suit (get a real hotel room close to your meeting Max ! Duuuuh !) ... and if you cant handle a farm track and a couple of gates, as wellas a welcoming herd of heifers on the way through, then again youre probably the wrong kind of guest for Round Meadow ! (what did you expect Jen ? and even cheaper room rate than you already got ! Dont be such a cheapskate !)

Our room was lovely - views incredible - hospitality, both welcome and homely - and other guests, interesting. Quiet - serene - inspiring. We'll return for sure :-)

Room Tip: Yes: be prepared to open and close a couple of pasture gates. Bring cash as hosts dont keep a credit...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This one one of the most unwelcoming bed and breakfasts Ive ever been too. We stayed for a couple of nights over the festive period and were looking forward to a relaxing break. To get to the accomodation you need to drive through three very muddy fields, with two gates to open. The driveway is full of potholes and on our way back one evening we managed to burst our car tyre as it was too dark to see where they were. The first morning we were there, we had breakfast (which on a positive was lovely), after which we decided that we would stick around until mid morning waiting for the rain to calm down. As it was Christmas we brought with us a board game to play and didnt think we would be much of a nusiance stopping in the bedroom out of everyones way until the rain died down. But we were very wrong. We were spoken to like children, bear in mind we are all professionals in our mid 30s. We were told to leave immediatly and despite the fact we had paid for two nights we were not allowed to be in the bedrooms during the day. We were then told that because we hadnt left the house by 10am we were ruining their day. We spent the day worrying about when we would be allowed to go back as we need to get changed to meet up with some friends in the evening. We were not offered a key. As it was the festive period we paid an inflated price of £375 for three of us in two bedrooms for two nights. For this price we expected a lot more than what we were given.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

The place is not easy to find, and they don't warn you that you have to get out of the car and open and close two farm gates. Not so good when you are on your way to a business meeting and are dressed for that - put wellies in your car.

The room was nice, though the bed is right under the coombed ceiling in such a way that you can't sit up without banging your head, which I did over and over again. There wasn't an ensuite, just a cupboard with a basin and toilet, and I never did manage to get hot water from the taps. A nice touch was the bathrobe which they provide for those who want to go out of their room for a shower or bath. I actually couldn't find the shower in the morning as I had been shown it at speed when I got in exhausted the previous night...perhaps a sign on the door would be good?

Breakfast was amazing, and most amazing of all was the fact that everything was available wheat-free, even though I had not warned them in advance. It was lovely to be able to eat a normal Full English complete with cereal, sausages and toast.

But now for the real proviso. If you are going to arrive at an unusual time, make absolutely sure that the owners are going to be there when you arrive. I had arranged to arrive at midday on my way to that business meeting, having driven all the way from Scotland in a snowstorm. I was greeted by a family member who was taciturn, rude, claimed to know nothing whatsoever about my arrival (and to care less) and finally suggested I phone the owners. The phone number was given very reluctantly, and after a short discussion with the owners I was shown, again rudely and reluctantly, to my room. Had I not given my credit cards details I would simply have turned round and gone somewhere else, and throughout my business meeting I was dreading going back. As it turned out the owners are delightful and helpful (so are the dog and the cat) but my "welcome" was one of the worst experiences I have ever had in my many years of travelling.

Room Tip: It might be worth asking for a room where the bed isn't right under that coombed ceiling!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Steyning, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I stayed here with a friend for 2 nights and felt very attached to the place by the time we left. Gill and Geff are a lovely and inspirational couple who make you feel very welcome in their home. We enjoyed the communal breakfast table and the food was fantastic! The views from the front of the house were amazing and we even found ourselves slurping our hot chocolate and eating cake outside admiring the amazing view, at the end of October. If you arrive at night, be aware that once you've taken the turn off Parsons lane, you need to follow the track through 3 farm gates to actually reach the house! If you like being out in the 'sticks' this is the place for you. Lovely. I hope to come back with my young family in the spring/summer.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Swanland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

We stayed one night at the bed and breakfast with our three children and had an excellent experience. Mr and Mrs Harris were very friendly and put the children at ease. They had a dog, cat and horses which the children thought were great.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
staffs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

My family stayed here for 2 nights bed and breakfast and were made extremely welcome. Round Meadow Barn is in lovely peaceful surroundings and Jill and Geoff Harris the owners were particularly helpful in giving advice as to where to eat and where to visit. They made our stay feel really special. Pam Clark

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Round Meadow Barn? Share your experiences!