“I really like it but.......” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Fieldhead Campsite

Fieldhead Campsite
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Edale
Fieldhead Campsite
You added Fieldhead Campsite to your Saves list
centre of Edale, Edale, Peak District National Park S33 7ZA , England   |
Scunthorpe
“I really like it but.......”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I've been here loads of times both dad and lad and with a bunch of mates. Staff seem friendly enough the location is absolutely superb. Fields are mostly level and reasonably well drained and we have never had a problem with noise from other campers though it has to be said we normally avoid the summer months I've never really had a problem with the train noise you just get used to it and after a few pints at either of the nearby pubs I sleep like a log anyway. Car parking is limited and has to be booked in advance when busy I pretty much like everything about it but..... I have paid less many times for much better facilities everything is pretty basic no on site shop reception only opened limited hours toilet block etc only just ok and for the money you really should not have to pay extra for showers. I love Edale and Kinder Scout so will keep coming but to get a four or five star review they need a substantial investment in facilities or alternatively reduce the prices so as to make what they do have value for money

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Sudbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I'm afraid we were not very impressed with Fieldhead. Firstly they didn't take credit or debit cards, we didn't realise this and had not brought cash or cheque book with us. Then they presented us with a list of rules, which were fine but were not adherred to by others. We were told we could pitch anywhere, but didn't realise we had pitched in the field next to the busy 24 hour railway line which was very noisy particularly at night until it was too late. We were joined by new neighbours on our second day. They were a family of 6 who were very noisy all of the time. They had a baby and toddlers. I am aware that families do want to camp, but the owners should have told us the camping fields are split into sections including one for families. As a couple we just wanted some peace and quiet. Several of our neighbours were complaining too. The shower and toilet facilities were not wonderful. It took a long while to work out how to work the showers and then you had to pay extra to use them. 60p for 6 minutes. The carpark was tiny. The positives of the site were that there was a lovely stream on site and a very useful tourist information centre. Although you don't have to be a camper to use the centre, you can't use the site car park, or you get told off by the owners. Also the pub at the foot of the Pennine Way was over rated. It was ok. The food was expensive but average.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Knebworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Our walking club has now regularly camped for a long August weekend at Fieldhead for several years. Fieldhead is uniquely situated on the doorstep of some of the Peak District's finest walking country, including the start of the Pennine Way. It has the added benefit of both bus and train transport to enable the walker to fan out even further into the Peak The Moorland Centre Edale Visitor Centre (Peak District National Park Authority) is located at the front of the site, and is obviously useful for all necessary walking information.
An attractively set out set of small hedged fields (more like garden lawns) surround the central facilities, which are simple but adequate. The ground conditions are very good, and seem to cope well with the summer rains (even in 2012 !!) - we have not yet seen muddy surfaces. Very nicely run by Mark and Samantha.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here overnight to tie-in with My Dad and Brothers visit to join them for 2 days. We usually stay at Coopers Campsite up by the Nags Head, but after a couple of bad experiences there my Dad started using Fieldhead a few years back. This was my first time using this site. I found the facilities more than adequate. Some people here call them 'basic', but c'mon people, this is camping, not a City break!! They have a facility that not many sites I've visited have. A dry room. Leave your clothes hung out and they'll stick the heating on. Alternatively they have a dryer in their too to be used on request.
The site is well layer out but great camping areas. It's really well positioned too. Turn right to head to The Pennie Way, Nags Head, Grinsbook walks etc. Turn left for the Ramblers Inn, Train Station and the road to Hope, Speedwell Caverns.
I've seen people comment that the pricing is steep, but I found it to be cheaper than other sites and the car parking works out much cheaper than leaving it at the Public car park down the hill.
Loved revisiting Edale after a few years away, and Fieldhead added to my enjoyment. I will be back!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

We are used to wild camping but when we go to an organised site we like basic things like clean shower and toilet blocks - for example there was no handwashing soap provided yet after having to clean the toilet seat I really wanted some soap to wash my hands. Also having to feed shower meters (nb maximum six minutes) is a pain- the meters are outside the cubicles too. Afraid we left early. It is a shame because the site is pretty with several small fields and in a great spot but needing some investment. But if I want to camp this basic I would rather be in the hills.

Room Tip: Take 20ps - and handsoap, towels and torches every time you go to the loo!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

We stayed for three nights over the Jubilee bank holiday weekend. Because it was the jubilee weekend they were taking bookings for a minimum of 4 nights only, and so we did have to pay for an additional night, but its so cheap that I didn't mind one bit.

The lay out of the site is really nice. You have your pick of several areas to camp in - and there's loads of space (even though they were fully booked) so you're not having to camp right next to others. During the course of the weekend we saw a number of other camp sites which looked full to bursting point. The good thing about Fieldhead is that they seem to limit the number of spaces by the number of car parking spaces rather than pitches, and the car park is relatively small compared to the area put aside for tents :-) Also some of the camping area is next to a gorgeous little river. Also the views from the camp site are lovely.

Should mention that the train line which runs through the Edale valley is within about 500m of the campsite and so trains can be heard from about 7am. However, they only pass by very occasionally and the noise they make is drowned out by the glorious sound of song birds and bleating sheep. And besides - by 7am you should be up and getting ready to explore the great outdoors!

Toilet and shower facilities were basic but fine. For the gents - it is slightly unfortunate that the shower cubicles are directly opposite the urinals (which pong a bit), but I got over it. Apparently the ladies facilities are absolutely fine.

Another potential bonus (although I didn't make use of it) is that the Edale visitor's centre is on the same site and so all information you could possibly need is right there.

Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

Came up to Edale with some mates for a weekend's walking and had a great time.

The campsite is very well located for walking/ outdoor activities and is at the start of the Pennine Way in the shadow of Kinder Scout.

It's a kind of 'free for all' site with no allocated pitches which is good if you want to group a couple of tents together.

The people who run it were friendly and polite and the site office opens in the evening for an hour.

Having done a lot of camping in all standards of sites, I would say that the toilet facilities are functional but basic. The showers cost 20p for 2 mins and can take up to 2 mins to heat up.

The campsite doesn't cards cards so payment is in cash and it is possible to get cash back at one of the pubs.

Overall all I would recommend it for location but the facilites are basic.

Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Fieldhead Campsite? Share your experiences!