“A perfect retreat” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Yorke Arms

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pateley Bridge
The Yorke Arms
You added The Yorke Arms to your Saves list
Ramsgill-in-Nidderdale, Pateley Bridge HG3 5RL, England   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Pateley Bridge
Standish, United Kingdom
“A perfect retreat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

If you want a get away fro it all break with luxury and stunning food this is the place for you. We have been to the yorke arms on numerous occasions and it never fails to impress. Room 20 is in the courtyard and is wonderful with lots of light and a separate lounge. We had the 8 course tasting menu which was sublime. My only criticism was the delay for coffee. However apologies were offered and no charge made.

I would recommend a stay to all.

Room Tip: The bijou room are perfectly designed but small
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

Now I was torn between marking this as very good/average as I felt it was just 'good'. The staff were lovely, friendly polite and very welcoming. The room was clean and nicely decorated (room 9) but very small room and only a double bed. I would expect more for £400 a night for dinner bed and breakfast. We have stayed at Swinton Park and The Devonshire Arms which are of very similar standard for better value, only they don't have a star. The food was on par with these places (really good) and the rooms at Swinton Park for example are triple (or more) in size. We only had one amuse bouche which for a 1 starred restaurant was a little disappointing. Despite the negatives we would stay again if the price was more realistic, say £280 tops (based on £90 each for dinner and £100 b&b). This would be more in line with other places of similar standard nearby I feel. It was nice to actually have Francis in the kitchen, as often these places with chef's names above the door are rarely there. Just need to sort out the inflated London prices.

Kent, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

What we liked:

- Our room was smart and well decorated. Both the room and bathroom were modest in size but adequate, with the bathroom having separate bath and shower.

- Food was excellent. Modern, interesting and worthy of its 1 Michelin star.

- The lounge for pre/post-dinner drinks is smart and cozy.

What we felt could be improved:

- The smallest bed of our stay – a standard king size. Would like the option of a larger bed.

- There is no option for a light lunch / tea & cake, even for guests. We arrived early afternoon and would have appreciated the option of a sandwich or tea & cake, but instead had to drive elsewhere (the Yorke Arms isn’t short walking distance to anywhere else).

- The dining room isn’t to my taste – lots of dark work and a strange assortment of mis-matched rugs, covering a worn carpet I assume.

- The 8-course surprise tasting menu includes the amuse bouche and the coffee in its courses and contains only one ‘main’ course (meat course). Compared to other 1 Michelin starred restaurants, and bearing in mind the London type prices they are charging, we felt that this was poor value for money.

- No sommelier at dinner so wines were introduced with little explanation and were generally quite traditional / boring in selection.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

My wife and I selected the Yorke Arms for our first experience of Michelin star food. It was truly amazing. The location is not in the hustle and bustle but that only adds to it's charm. The setting is absolutely beautiful. The staff were great. Really polite and helpful not to mention efficient and professional. We were shown to our table, our drink orders taken and a platter of parmesan tarts and homemade crisps presented whilst we chose our meals. This was then replaced by our amuse bouche and five varieties of mini bread loaves fresh from the oven. These were all 'to-die-for' in our opinion until the food arrived and surpassed our expectations again. From start to finish this was a great experience and we would recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed May 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

This has become something of a place of pilgrimage for my wife and I to regularly enjoy Frances Atkins superb food. We're never disappointed and the impeccable service and fabulous wine list match the food. In the winter it's atmospheric with crackling wood fires, in the summer you can enjoy the beautiful garden (a river runs through it) and the surrounding Dales. Highly recommended.

Pontefract, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Had an overnight stay for my husband's birthday celebration.
Overall, it was a very pleasant experience, but with a couple of niggles.
I would question the grading of the rooms. We had a superior room and our daughter had a classic double. Our room was on the ground floor and very exposed to passers-by, which I didn't like! And the classic room had a larger, lighter bathroom. On balance, i would have preferred the cheaper room.
Regarding dinner - it was super! Unfortunately I didn't like the vegetarian main course which was on the menu that evening, so the member of staff went to consult with the chef and I was offered a lovely alternative by Frances - much appreciated! The food was wonderful, my husband's birthday was acknowledged and the service that evening very good. However the ambience is very "country pub". It suited us, as food quality is paramount, but don't expect a "grand" dining room.
My other niggle was at breakfast. The fruit and cereal selection was mediocre compared to comparable establishments and the feeling of being "rushed out" of the dining room did not go down very well. My cooked breakfast arrived in the middle of my cereal course and I then had to endure my guest's plates being whisked away whilst I was still eating my hot meal.
Well worth going for the food, but I feel some of the waiting staff weren't properly trained for a place where you might expect excellent service to complement the food quality.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
North England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I booked a table at this restaurant for a very special occasion. We live only 15 miles away, so didn't stay.
The food was absolutely amazing! It is up there with the best restaurants we have been fortunate to try.
Service was excellent too. The whole experience was first class. I can't believe we haven't been here before. We will definitely be back, and despite the short journey home, I think we will stay.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Been to The Yorke Arms? Share your experiences!