“Some Vacations are Unforgettable (Part 1)” 5 of 5 stars

Anantara Veli Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Veligandu Huraa, 08190   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Stay Longer up to 30%off!
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Veligandu
Los Angeles, California
“Some Vacations are Unforgettable (Part 1)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

If you are like me you do you are reading this review because you are a traveler who does his/her research.
I'm going to go on record and admit that my girlfriend made fun of me for going on Trip Advisor and it's forums as much as I did.
"What? Do you have friends in forums now? That is just creepy"
Yeah she said that.
When I first came to trip advisor for advice I did so because in America we don't have a lot of travel agents that specialize in the Maldives.
Trip Advisor was an amazing resource not just because of the reviews but also because of the Maldives Forum; their resident experts are very helpful.
In the spirit of that helpfulness I'd like to add that we have a lot more pictures if anybody wants to see them I can send you links to them. (I wish that TA let you download more than 10 pictures)
All of that being said let's get to the review.

We booked our ticket using miles coming through Singapore. We went from LA to Japan to Singapore a got to spend a night and a day in Singapore; I highly recommend this as this breaks up a very long trip. We got to Male around 10:00 PM and took the super fast speed boat to Veli. Between getting bags, customs, and the boat trip we arrived to Veli by 11:00 PM. We were greeted by 4 staff some of which were playing drums (nice touch). The check in process was quick and painless; they gave us lemon scented cold towels and some refreshing tea and gave us discount vouchers for the spa. It was at this point that I met Ahmed (I hope I'm spelling that right). Ahmed became my right hand man in orchestrating my elaborate plan to propose to my girlfriend. That's right I had hatched a diabolical plan to propose to my wonderful girlfriend and Ahmed and I fooled her completely.....but more about that later.

The Room

Ahmed showed us to room 170 which was a great room but not the one we had our hearts set on staying in. We stayed in 170 overnight and then were moved to 148. 148 is the best room for the overwater bungalows (not the deluxe) because it gives you a view of both the sun rise and the sunset and it is closest to the greatest deposits of coral in the lagoon. The coral has the greatest amount of fish and sea life around it so every time we stepped off our balcony we had amazing sea life to see. 148 also only has one neighbor to the right and therefore it is one of the most private overwater bungalows. The room itself was wonderful, absolutely five star; the bathroom was immaculate and you could even drink the water if you wished. (Speaking of which they give you plenty of bottled water) The room was cleaned twice daily and we were never really bothered by our house keeper; he did a great job of keeping the place clean and he made us wonderful towel sculptures with flowers our last night in Veli. It has a plasma TV and dvd player and they have a movie library that is free but we never checked anything out and spent very little time watching TV; they have about 20 channels, 10 of which are in English.

The Staff

This is the best resort/hotel service that I have ever experienced. All you had to do was ask and they made it happen. Service is always with a smile and even if I didn't enjoy every meal I could never fault any of my servers who always upbeat, jovial, and attentive. Not to sound cheesy, but the Anantara Veli, Dighu, and Naladu have service that is truly in a class by itself. I work in market research for a living and I had a great conversation with the Food and Drink Manager of the resort about why they are so good. After that conversation I realized that they are so good because they genuinely care for and are interested in their guests (they almost treat them like family). Seriously. The upper management is very on top of everyones needs and this attention to detail is mirrored by the staff. I really can't say enough good things about them, and I would encourage any of you who have questions about the resort to email them. They were very prompt in their responses and were helpful in educating me about al the amenities of the resort.

The Food and Drink

Just so you know where we are coming from, my girlfriend and I are huge foodies; we love all different types of food and love doing french tasting menus and Omakase for sushi. We know and love our food as one can tell by looking at my belly.
Should you go full board, half board, or no board; this is a point of great debate.
We went with no meal plan and it worked out very well for us; we got to eat what we wanted wherever we wanted. We simply brought a small suitcase with some cereal and pop tarts and this took care of breakfast for us; which we would eat every morning on our wonderful deck.
You have access to 8 different restaurants between Veli and Dighu some of which are open different days for lunch, dinner, or both.
Our ritual was to go scuba diving or snorkeling during the mornings and then have lunch at either Dighu or Veli's pool bar. The Dhoni Bar was the place we ate most of our lunches but the Aqua bar on Dighu had almost an identical menu. We'd usually split a hamburger and a salad, and that along with the yummy selection of bread and hummus/eggplant/butter spread was more than enough food to stuff us. It should be stated that the Dhoni Bar had our favorite restaurant staff; they were always quick with a smile or bad joke and Kamal and company really looked after us like family. We spent a fair amount of time at the Dhoni Bar and we had such a good time lazing by the pool reading, boozing it up, and making friends. My girlfriend especially liked that they gave us these cute complimentary ice cream cones with refreshing sorbet each afternoon. (Again, a nice little touch)
For dinner we'd make reservations at one of the other six restaurants. The following is a brief description of each of the restaurants and they are ranked in order of enjoyment. All of the restaurants had amazing service.

1. Geckos Grill
This was a Benihana teppanyaki style restaurant that only has the Benihana type of show once or twice a week. I had the tenderloin and fried rice, she had the fish, and we shared a piece of carmel cheesecake for dessert. The manager of this place was great; he was very knowledgeable about all the island had to offer. We were surprised that this place was our favorite as a lot of the other reviews had been less than favorable.
2. Baan Huraa
This place had the best ambiance and was very romantic. The food was delicious and had all the standard Thai fare that you'd expect. We ate here twice and loved the crashing ocean waves and the reed animal sculpture that our hostess made for us; we hung it in our room (see pics)
3. Fushi Cafe (BBQ Night)
This was a lot of fun because they had set up tables on the beach and we dined on grilled seafood and meat under the stars. They had a great selection of tiger prawns, lobster, and meat which was deliciously prepared
4. 73 Degrees
This had a cool sea food market concept. You were given a little plastic shopping basket which you took over to the "fish market" which was a board with fish prices by the gram which had local fish, imported fish, crab, lobster, and tiger prawns laid out in a nice display. The "fish monger"/server would put the fish into a plastic bag and into your basket. Next, you would walk your selection over to a chef would would prepare it any way you like.
5. Fuddan Fusion Grill
This restaurant was located by the water on Dhigu; apparently the have a shark/ray feeding every night at 5:30ish but we never got over there to see it. The service was great here but the food was good but not great; I had the lobster and she had a fish of some kind. I just remember it being kind of blah. The view and ambience were nice though.
6. Terrazzo
Again this was located on Dhigu and while the service and ambience were great the food was just okay; I had a pasta and bolognese sauce and flavor wise it just did not stand out. My girlfriend ordered some kind of seafood pasta and she thought her scallops were a little rubbery. Our friends seem to enjoy their meal so maybe we just picked the chef's weakest dishes.

Now to the issue of drinks.....

Folks, drinks are expensive! They have to import everything in and that is why most of the alcohol prices seem exorbitant.
8 dollars a beer and they only have Heineken, Asahi, Corona, and San Miguel. A word to the wise, stay away from the San Miguel; it tastes like what I imagine canned body odor would taste like. Seriously it was nasty and yet I forced my self to finish it because I wasn't going to waste and 8 dollar beer.
Mixed drinks are $12.50. They can make any kind of mixed drink that you want including lots of great alcohol smoothies and fruity tropical drinks.
Wine is kind of a crap shoot. We did have a bottle of some nice chilean wine, but most other wines were really over priced. Sutter Home is $55?! For those of you who don't know Sutter Home it is a wine that you would find in a drugstore etc. We did have a really nice Coppola Shiraz the last night that was $80. When we came back to LA we happen to find the same wine for $8.99?! If possible I would really try and stick to what you know; otherwise you end up drinking France or Italy's version of Sutter Home. I'm sure that they probably have some good wines, but unfortunately we didn't have the bank roll to launch a full scale investigation.
Champagne and bottles of hard alcohol were very expensive but they had all high end brands; many of which were stocked in your hotel room. Champagne I believe started at $60 or $70 and I believe this was the same price for a medium size bottle of hard alcohol. (For brands see pictures)
You aren't allowed to bring any booze into the Maldives; it is a Muslim country so don't buy/bring any duty free booze with you because the authorities will take it from you and give it back when you are leaving the country.

Diving, Snorkeling, Excursions, and the Spa.

If you are going to the Maldives you'd be a fool to not get your open water certification before you arrive. The Maldives have the most amazing array of sea life and you would be remiss to not explore this as much as possible. We saw over 170 different types of fish, 3 different types of sharks, 3 different moray eels, 2 different rays, and did I mention giant manta rays? Holy [expletive], those things look like the creatures from James Cameron's movie the Abyss. We actually ended up getting our advanced open water certification when we were there because we knew we wanted to take at least 5 dives (we ended up doing 6 in all) and we figured if we were going to do those dives we might as well get another certification so we could further our diving education. We bought the advanced padi book in America for $25 and they reduced the certification price to $450 from $500. We read our chapters on the plane and this was good because it really helped pass the time.
Our dive instructor was Phil.
Did I mention that Phil is the man?
What a cool guy! He was so enthusiastic, knowledgeable, and friendly that he made all of our dives unforgettable experiences. He was truly one of the main reasons that we had such a great time. The other dive staff Nadine, Olessa (sp), and the German instructor were super cool as well.
The real unsung heros are the lads that help you get into and out of your gear on the boat. They were awesome and every time you finished a dive and got out of your gear they were there with a ice cold refreshing lemon scented town and plate of fruit. Thats right a plate of fruit?! Really this is the only way to dive! Luxury diving at it's best. It costs roughly about $100 per dive with gear rental and boat fees etc. and all of their scuba equipment is top of the line gear.
We did a navigation dive, a deep water dive, a buoyancy dive, a night dive, a wreck dive, and dive at ghooli (sp?) which had insane amounts of wild life.
Describing these dives just don't do them justice.....just see the pictures.
The same could be said of the snorkeling which we did almost everyday outside our room.

We did take an island hopping excursion which turned out to be three adventures for the price of one. The Mafushi island is the local island that is closest to the resort. It has 1 restaurant, a couple souvenir stores, and a bodega like market. There are 1500 residents that live on the island 700 of which are in prison. Yep this little island houses the country's biggest prison; most of the people are in for drug related offenses. I really recommend going on this because it is good to see how the real people of this small country actually live; not everything is a sunshiny resort etc. You can also support the local economy by buying souvenirs from these guys as opposed to buying them at the hotel so bring a fair amount of cash; they don't mind bartering or deal making etc. After we got back in the boat we went looking for giant manta rays and we snorkeled close to two of them. We also went to another reef teeming with life but it is better to just see the pictures.

We went to the jungle spa which was very nice indeed. I looked at the overwater spa and it was beautiful too, but the jungle spa had an equally cool vibe. Upon check in they had given us some vouchers that gave us a milk/honey foot bath, a thai back massage, and thai stretch. The treatment was $60?! for an hour and half and was awesome! Most of the other treatments were pretty pricey and after the first one we decided to spend our money on diving. But again there was really great atmosphere at both spas and a really great staff that we had the pleasure of experiencing at the jungle spa.

The Friends:

When you go on vacation sometimes you get lucky and meet a great group of people; this was one such vacation. We met 3 couples who were just cool people. Jonathan and Elina (aka our favorite Ozzies), Lazarus and Maria (aka The Greeks), and Allison and Alistar (Ozzies #2). All three of these couples were so intelligent and interesting, and we especially had some great laughs and conversations with the Ozzies and the Greeks. We have such fond memories of all 3 couples and 2 of the couples were instrumental in helping me surprise my girlfriend with a wedding proposal.

The Proposal (aka Operation Bamboozle)
Upon planning this vacation I emailed back and forth with Veli management asking all kinds of inane questions to get a sense of how I was going to pull this off. We got to the resort at night and the next morning I got up early grabbed the ring from my bag and high tailed it to reception. I gave the ring to my pal Ahmed for safe keeping and he put it in their safe. From coming to the trip advisor forum I discovered that you could get an upgrade to Naladu the 6 star resort for $250-$350 depending on availability. Naladu usually goes for $1700 a night so this was quite the deal. They only can give you this deal if they have availability but trust me it is absolutely worth it, especially if you can surprise your special lady. So very simply the plan was to secretly move our stuff from Veli to Naladu stay there for two days and propose over there. My lovely girlfriend did not make this easy. My plan was to send her to the spa with our friend Elina, however at the last minute my girlfriend decided she really did not want to go to the spa?! Who doesn't want to go to the spa? Anyhow I quickly constructed a lie using our friends at the reception desk. They came up to me at the pool and told me that my work had an urgent call for me and needed to talk to me right away. I did a great job of acting like I was pissed and then said I'd grab the phone call in the room. Meanwhile our friend Jonathan distracted my girlfriend by regaling her with tales of his scuba diving adventures. Like clock work the porter met me as I walked to the room. I quickly packed our stuff and we'd cleaned out the room in 15 minutes. The porter and I then dodged between water bungalows making sure that my girlfriend didn't turn around from the pool and see us off in the distance. I felt like Tom Cruise from Mission Impossible. We then made the long run over the overwater bridge which connects the two islands. We ran into the room and I threw everything I needed to into the safe, leaving the porter to put the rest of the bags in the closet. I then ran back through the jungle path this time so my girlfriend wouldn't see me and was sweating like a pig in the heat. I walked right up to the pool and dived right in all the trace of sweat washed away by the cool pool water. I then told her a fabricated story about why my work so urgently needed to talk to me and she believed it hook line and sinker. I actually came up with the story on my sweaty run through the jungle. If only she gone to the spa! What woman turns down going to a spa? Any way with her believing my work story I casually ordered a beer and cooled off for 30 minutes. I then causally mentioned that Ahmed had got permission for us to go and take a tour of 6 star resort which I had shown her online when we were back home in LA. I told her my rationale for going on the tour was I really wanted to see what cost $1700 a night. Again my girlfriend was hesitant and wanted to put her leftover club sandwich back in the refrigerator in the room. Of course the jig would be up if she got her way so finally I put my foot down and said "I really am curious and it is only a ten minute walk!" In a huff she finally agreed and we walked hand and hand over the overwater bridge toward our new home and our new future together. TO BE CONTINUED

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2009

I felt that I should write a review as I really looked at Tripadvisor alot when I was booking our holiday. We went for 3 nights to Anatara Veli and stayed in the standard overwater bungalows.

Rooms - the rooms were great. I couldn't personally have asked for more - nice comfy bed, view from the bed, nice daybed on balcony, view of the water from the shower so you can see the fish. Yes, they are kind of close together but perhaps because we went in low season, this was really no problem at all. We had an amazing view looking across at Dhigu, the other island, and we also had the sunset.

The standard rooms have the coral under them whilst the deluxe don't - ours didn't have as much as the other standards but we also had the most private outlook of all of them and also the sunset - we still had fish under us including some reef sharks, a sting ray and an octopus!

There are 2 piers with the rooms - the ones with the deluxe on them has a lot more rooms down them so probably would feel busier. Ours was the smaller pier and was very relaxed.

Tip for the accom - i actually contacted the resort a week before and they sent me a map of the layout of the rooms with room numbers - i then sent through a request for the specific rooms i preferred. worth doing this if you want to maximise privacy etc.

Spa - we chose to go with the overwater spa at Dhigu - why wouldn't you?? The one at Veli looked nice but you really can't beat having a glass window in the floor to watch the fish and water whilst you are massaged. Then at the end, there was an outdoor jacuzzi to have your drink after............well worth the visit

Thai rest - beautiful food and ambiance. We had outdoor table - ocean was lit up under us and we could just see 100's of fish swimming plus a reef shark. also centre of rest has water rushing through with fish swimming as well. A must if you go

Other than that, we had the pizza from the italian place cause it was a good deal for the money.

Wine - was not too expensive. have a huge wine list to choose from with some around $60 to $75 a bottle. Not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Mini bar - good selection of beers, soft drinks etc........but really, bring your own snacks!

Plenty of water given except on last day.

The service was great - we were even given 6pm checkout on our last day for no charge - though this was because low season

Diving - went for a dive. Was fab. Saw quite a few turtles, schools and some sharks. Was a mere 10min on great dive boat from the hotel. So whole trip doesn't even take you half the day. Service on the boat was great - they just did everything for you. We had a bit of a current because of the season but it really didn't matter.

Snorkelling - plenty of good fish to see from around bungalows. No prob snorkelling from room

We hired canoe one day from Dhigu - the boat takes you across in 2min. We canoed to another island and snorkelled the house reef there - really good fish and i am sure in high season would be incredible.

Highly recommend - for me, this is all i wanted. I guess if you want absolute privacy in your room etc, and perhaps better reef, then best to go with one of the 5 star hotels. But if you just want a place which is chilled, relaxed, then Anantara Veli was really great.

We relaxed immediately and given that we only had 3 nights, this was essential..............fab holiday!

hope this helps to make your decision.

Berkshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2009

Compared to other 5 star resorts in the Maldives, Anantara really was so dissappointing. We moved to Anantara on the Second week of our holiday and within one hour I wanted to return to the other island we had been staying on .There was No privcay in the water villa, and very average rooms. The bathrooms dont even have a view on to the lagoon. !! I'm glad other people have had such fantastic holidays but they really dont know what they are missing on other islands. We upgraded and moved Islands.

I would certainly only class this resort as a 4 star. I really am so surprised there hasnt been other reviews stating this. Maybe that why there are so few reviews...

If you would like to ask me any questions please feel free to contact me. If you want a great Hotel book yourself into Baros ... We Couldnt fault a thing !

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
ManishJha, Resort Manager, Anantara Veli Resort & Spa and Anantara Dhigu Resort & Spa at Anantara Veli Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 30, 2009
Dear Anantara Guest,

Greetings from Anantara Veli and thank you for staying with us recently.

Firstly, I would like to express my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay at Anantara Veli Resort & Spa earlier this month.

I also wanted to thank you for taking the time to write to us and share the concerns and frustrations that you encountered during your stay at the resort. We pride ourselves on ensuring that guests leave with a fond memory and a few wonderful stories of their stay at our resort. As you can imagine, I’m saddened to learn that we have failed on this occasion.

I recall speaking to you after your arrival at Veli and I offered an upgrade to Anantara Dhigu at no additional cost after evaluating your comments.

I do hope that your stay at Anantara Dhigu was a better experience and the design and layout met with your requirements. I also noticed that you have not mentioned our Naladhu property, I trust that you were impressed and enjoyed what was on offer with regards to total privacy, attention to detail, design and hope that the levels of service and the personal touch met with your requirements, another aspect of the resort which our guests truly enjoy.

Thank you for sharing your point of view with our readers, I am truly sorry we were not able to please you. I hope we will be presented a future opportunity to share with you the friendly, efficient Anantara Maldives hospitality.

We look forward to continue bringing more and more guests to Maldives

With kind regards,
Manish Jha
Resort Manager, Anantara Veli Resort & Spa and Anantara Dhigu Resort & Spa
Porto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2009

Everything was perfect. The staff were fabulouse. Paradise on earth.

london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

We stayed on the island of Veligandu Huraa for two weeks in an overwater bungalow (not a deluxe overwater bungalow) before moving on to Dubai.

Veli was fantastic. The room was gorgeous, even down to the pillow menu with its choice of 8 different pillows.

The food in the restaurants is very high quality. My wife and I would both say that it compares favourably with some of the best restaurants that we have been to in London.

I have lots of pictures of the island, the restaurant (the food), the views and the activities.

The service was pretty good, let down only by the time that it takes staff to walk from the reception or restaurants to the room. We had one complaint while we were there about our bed not being changed one day and their response was to immediately replace our room boy with a different one. Needless to say, the bed got changed everyday from there on in.

The staff in the restaurants and by the pool were very friendly.

I think that the above reviews have been posted by people that have let one small bad experience ruin their whole holiday.

There are three islands in this anantara resort. These are Naladu (6 star), Veli (5 star) and Dhigu (5 star).

We didnt stay on Naladu or Dhigu and we didnt go to Naladu, but we would recommend Veli over Dhigu. On Veli there are only about 50ish water bungalows and no beach bungalows, so there are far fewer people on the island. On Dhigu there are at least double the number of water bungalows and a large number of beach bungalows as well. If your budget can stretch, we would recommend a water bungalow rather than a beach bungalow, and if you have the choice, have it on Veli rather than Dhigu.

On Veli you have a choice of three restaurants (thai restaurant) Baan Huraa, seafood/maldivian restaurant called 73 Degrees and a new restaurant called Gecko which was being built while we were on the island. I use the term build loosely as it seems to be two guys putting up one piece of wood per day for around 10 mins) although apparently this is now finished...!

You also get to use all the restaurants on Dhigu as well.

We went for the full board option, although to be honest, the food for lunch was probably wasted on us as the portions were so large, so it may be worth only going half board. If you go full board, your only inclusive lunchtime options if you are staying on Veli is the Dhoni bar on Veli or the grill restaurant on Dhigu. Despite being full board, we still managed to spend approximately $2000 on alcohol, trips, scuba, mini bar and wakeboarding so make sure you budget for about $500 per person per week spending money. Saying this, we did have wine with pretty much every evening meal and you could spend a lot less if you just drank beers.etc.

Overall we really enjoyed the honeymoon and we will post some pictures on here to show how good the normal overwater bungalow is. We requested a bungalow that had a good view by email to the resort. They send they could not confirm for sure but to email them two days in advance and they would note our preference.. when we got there we had a fantastic view, best one of all the overwater bungalows!

The only reason I have put 4 for value is that it is quite expensive and a service charge is added to everything. However, we knew this when we went there and the bill we were given was checked thoroughly and it was spot on!

The spa which I have seen complaints about on here was fantastic, it was set in the middle of the trees, the massage took place in a brand new room with my wife on the bed next to me, we couldnt recommend it more!

Let me know if you have any questions!

Andrew

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2009

Anantara Maldives is an amazing place. We came here for our honeymoon and it exceeded all our expectations. We stayed at Veli, one of the three main islands. Our over water bungalow had a beautiful view of the indian ocean and we could step right down and snorkel amongst the fish and coral. The staff are very freindly and eager to please (as contrary to other reviews given on this site). The rooms are cleaned twice daily and plenty of free bottled water is supplied as well. Each night our bed was made and a little suprise was left (flowers, bath, chocolates, fruit or bailey's). The weather was warm. We only had a little rain on our first two days but then was moslty clear. The restraunts are expensive (as you would expect from a 5 star resort) but the meals are fantastic and plentiful. A dinner for two will cost anywhere between US$80-$180. Good variety with Thai, Italian, Japanese, Grill, Seafood and themed buffets. each night. Everything on the island is in $US currency. There is also a free business/internet centre for guests. I can highly recommend this resort for couples. Families are better suited to the other island, Dhigu. Veli is quieter and more romantic (no Kids!!).

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Norwich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2009

The moment we landed in Malé we were in a different world of climate and service. We were immediately met and from this point didn't have to lift a finger and were led to our speed boat transfer. This was an amazing 30min ride and we were the first of 3 drop off's. Once again we were met by staff who welcomed us and took our luggage. We were taken to the reception area and given fresh (cold) juice and then a neck and shoulder massage to relax us after the journey! We were then taken to our Delux Over Water Bungalow (132) which had everything! We paid to upgrade before we went and felt this was well worth it. We spent a lot of our time here as it was so spacious. There are a choice of 5 Restuarants which were all first class with great variety and it was hard only going for a week as we would of liked to have gone back to all of them!
We could go on and on about how good this resort is but maybe because it was our first visit to the Maldives (won't be the last!)
All staff soon learn your name and cannot do enough for you.
The snorkelling area is amazing (my favourite part)
The only down point was flying with Sri Lankan, not the best service and quality in-flight we've experienced!
One packing tip - Don't take hight heels, not good for sand, boardwalks & speedboats!
Free snorkel gear to use too

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Anantara Veli Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!