My husband and I spent 5 nights at Anantara Veli in Maldives. It was a perfect holiday!! One of the benefits of staying at this resort is that it doesn’t require further air transportation to get there. After 20 hours flying from the US, it was great to be met at the airport and whisked away to the resort. The boat ride was about 30 minutes and we were offered cool towels and bottled water for the ride. The staff met us at the dock with more cool towels and a staff member ready to check us in.
We loved the over-water bungalow and the direct access from our patio to the Indian Ocean. There is a lot of coral around the property and it is teeming with fish. The property itself is beautiful and well-maintained. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Our room was clean and comfortable, and we loved watching the fish outside while we showered in our traditional outdoor Maldivian bathroom.
You can get free snorkel equipment rentals at Aquafanatics. We snorkeled around Veli a lot and also went over to Dhigu to snorkel. There’s not as much reef around the Dhigu property. There were some fish around the over-water bungalows, but definitely a lot more fish at Veli. The house reef is over at Dhigu, however. If you swim past the over-water bungalows to a small island (directly in front of their Aquafanatics), the reef is on the left. There are tons of huge fish there, but the water is a bit rougher there than around the resort.
As far as food, breakfast came with our room and it was very good. It is served buffet style at 73 Degrees Restaurant with views of the ocean. There is a wide variety of fruits, cereals, pastries, and the “make-it-hot” station offers a great variety of egg dishes, pancakes, etc. We opted for the half-board meal plan that allowed us to eat at any of the restaurants. I didn’t think this was really such a good value for us. I think we ate more than we would have trying to get our money’s worth and even then, I think it cost more than it would have if we would have eaten a la carte. We thought all of the restaurants were very good. Baan Huraa is the Thai restaurant at Veli and seems to be the favorite. The food is great and the service is also good. It sits over the water and we did see a ray and 3 black-tipped reef sharks. Geckos is the Japanese restaurant. If you order Teppanyaki, they will cook it for you on the grill at the bar. Over at Dhigu, there is Terrazzo, which is an Italian restaurant. Also, there is Fuddan, where you can get steak and/or seafood (this was probably our favorite). We also had Beach Barbecue at Fushi Café at Dhigu. This was a lot of fun. It was a buffet with lots of salads and breads to choose from and then you head to the cooking station where you can choose from steak, chicken kabobs, lamb sausages, calamari, snapper, and tuna. Tell the cook what you want and how much and they cook it up and bring it to your table. Note that when you order soda, refills are not free. Also, it kind of annoyed me that they give you bottles upon bottles of free water in your room, but they charge you (over and above your meal plan) for water at dinner.
Overall, Veli is a perfect place for a beautiful vacation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Retreat hand-in-hand to one of the most naturally stunning destinations on earth, a romantic paradise enveloped in soft white sands and turquoise waters. Just 20 km by speedboat from the airport in Male, delight in the private luxury of your own over-water bungalow, with all the comforts of home and then some. Unwind in your room, either over water in the crystal lagoon, or from your Ocean Pool Bungalow, with private pool and ocean views offering beach and lagoon access a few minutes stroll from your room, or admire the kaleidoscope of exotic fish and corals just steps from your over water and deluxe over water bungalow. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Minor Hotel Group Limited, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia and Jetsetter so you can book your Anantara Veli Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Anantara Veli Hotel South Male Atoll
- Anantara Veli Resort And Spa