The new ocean villas are fantastic -- large, modern, beautifully designed, and quiet, with a private infinity plunge pool and sundeck, and lots of thoughtful touches. The bathroom is stunning and very large, with an indoor marble shower with floor to ceiling windows looking out on the ocean and also an outdoor marble shower in a small private garden. The ocean villas are on the ocean side, not the lagoon side, with great views, lots of birds and sealife (sharks, octopi, eels, rays, and colorful fish). Although you can't snorkle on the ocean side, you can easily see all the fish in the clear water from your sundeck, and lagoon snorkeling is nearby. The island is very quiet and peaceful since families with children stay on a nearby island, which is also operated by Anantara.
The staff are friendly and responsive, catering to your every need. The buffet breakfast is outstanding. The abundance of fresh fruit from Thailand is particularly welcome. All the restaurants on Veli and its sister island are excellent, but pricey. The Thai restaurant is authentic, with the best Thai food we've had in a long time.
There's every kind of watersport imaginable. We had great fun on the sea bob, with jet-like rockets that propel you on top of the water and underneath the water at adjustable speeds.
The island is conveniently located, a 35-minute boat ride from the airport, although I must admit that I prefer traveling to other islands by plane, for the spectacular views along the way.
Prices are over the top in high season, but well worth it for a real splurge.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Retreat hand-in-hand to one of the most naturally stunning destinations on earth, a romantic paradise enveloped in soft white sands and turquoise waters. Just 20 km by speedboat from the airport in Male, delight in the private luxury of your own over-water bungalow, with all the comforts of home and then some. Unwind in your room, either over water in the crystal lagoon, or from your Ocean Pool Bungalow, with private pool and ocean views offering beach and lagoon access a few minutes stroll from your room, or admire the kaleidoscope of exotic fish and corals just steps from your over water and deluxe over water bungalow. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Odigeo, Agoda and Jetsetter so you can book your Anantara Veli Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Anantara Veli Hotel South Male Atoll
- Anantara Veli Resort And Spa