“A fantastic stay” 5 of 5 stars

The Langley Arms Bed & Breakfast
Guest Avenue, Emersons Green BS16 7GA, England   |
“A fantastic stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

We had a family Christening in Bristol so we decided to give the Langley Arms a try (4 families) we're so glad we did.
The rooms in the converted barn were top class the beds were very comfortable , the bed linen was pristine, the bedroom furniture was tasteful and the power shower was great.
The owners (brothers) were very hospitable and could not do enough for us.
Fried breakfast was fantastic and also many cereals, fruit juices, toast jam etc,tea or coffee all for just £5.
We will be certainly staying in the future and would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

I have stayed at the Langley arms nearly every week for the last 10 months and can advise that breakfast has never been an issue. The owners always go the extra mile regarding customer service.
The web site clearly states their very reasonable rates and the delux rooms are larger hence the nominal additional charge.
I would recommend the Langley arms to everyone and feel any negative comments are unfounded and possibly from somebody wanting a "free lunch".
Paul G - Leeds

Room Tip: All rooms are of an excellent quality with the more expensive delux rooms being much larger.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

We have been staying at the nearby Premier Inn 3 or 4 times a year for several years. (our daughter and her family live in a small cottage nearby) and have no problems with that, however we decided to try the Langley Arms for a change. What a pleasant surprise. Hotel has lots of charm, might try a deluxe room next time. Did not eat there (ate with family, but next time maybe), but thoroughly enjoyed Friday evening in the Pub. Music supplied by Lucy Harvey (Vocal, soprano and alto sax) was fantastic. We had a great time, even had a drink on the house. Breakfast really good value.
(Memo: Jethrokent - read what it says on the website. It clearly states breakfast is £5 extra! If you do not understand that, what can I say).
In the words of the Terminator, "I'll be back".
We will try and eat there next time as some of the reviews relating to that were not particularly complimentary.
Overall, a good experience.
Just in case there are any accusations, I do not live in Bristol and I have no other connection with the Langley Arms apart from having just spent a very pleasant stay there.
Give it a try, hopefully you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Be careful you do not bash your foot on the base of the bed when moving around at night (it bl**dy h...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
oxford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

We turned up at the Premier Inn round the corner on spec, who were full, but the helpful woman on the desk directed us here.. We turned up at 8:30 Friday night to the pub, where they had live music and a really warm welcome. We were shown to the lovely B&B next door (we got a deluxe room which was big, warm, and very tastefully decorated) and told we could eat at the pub next door. After some good pub grub and a couple of drinks we slept really well.

Next morning we went for breakfast (cereal, juice, tea, coffee, fry-up - mmmm) and asked how to find the motorway to carry on our journey. Brian the landlord was so helpful and, after waiting for me to have a shower and us to get packed, drove in front of us to show us the way to the motorway!

So it's not only friendly, comfortable and with tasty food, but he really went out of his way to help us - we were so glad the Premier Inn was full, and we will definitely go back when next in Bristol.

Room Tip: Get a deluxe! (Though we didn't see the normal rooms - probably lovely too.)
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Warrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

Considering The Langley Arms is tucked away on a private housing estate & off the beaten track, what a wonderful find, not only are the owners (2 brothers Mike & Chris) friendly but so are their staff who make you welcome from the get go.The hotel part was apparently their family home which they renovated & turned it in to 8 bedrooms, a breakfast room , office & kitchen, a very large house when it was their home. The food menu is quite good & the breakfast is excellent a full english including fried bread, when was the last time you were offered fried bread with your breakfast ???, fantastic.The Rates are very reasonable £55 per double,£65 deluxe double & £5 for breakfast, meals from £5 - £15. Beleive me when I say I will be pig sick if there are no vacancies the next time I stay in Bristol......................................... Very Highly Recommended

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Bacton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

The Langley Arms B&B advertises itself as being both Bed and Breakfast - this quite simply is not the case! The B&B claim is at best misleading but is probably more like a scam to get an additional £5 from you if you want a cooked breakfast - How on earth can you justify that you offer bed and breakfast but only provide part of that claim; i.e. a bed only - but no breakfast?

I booked three rooms some time ago in good faith for my family who were staying in the area to celebrate a Diamond Wedding Anniversary and I naturally assumed that our B&B rooms were inclusive of breakfast.

I attempted to raise my concern with the management on my arrival but none were available; however, the following morning I attempted to speak with one of the owners who told me that his name was Michael and to my surprise he said in an aggressive tone “Clearly no matter what I say to you - you aren’t going to be happy - just go now” I was taken aback by his reply and simply couldn’t understand why he was being so hostile towards me and my family.

Later I was asked by the brother of Michael whom I believe to be Brian to come through to his office and check out what was written on their website - The following quote is from the Langley Arms website – ‘To suit the busy person, or simply those who wish to leave early and explore the surroundings, we charge for the breakfast separately at an additional cost of £5.00 per person’.

I pointed out to Brian that I am not a busy person or one who wishes to leave early so therefore this did not apply and quite frankly that this quote is misleading or perhaps badly written. He did not agree and said “Well if you don’t like it you can leave – but we won’t be providing you with a cooked breakfast unless you pay the £5 per head.

I suspect that the owners will reply to this letter by alleging that my comments are totally unfounded and that I was the one being rude and aggressive – Please do have a look at all of the messages that I write on Trip Advisor and find out for yourself who is telling the truth.

I genuinely believe that I have been duped out of £30 as we were not provided with six breakfasts and I will be contacting Trading Standards.

On a positive note the rooms are fine – but I would not pay the additional £10 for a deluxe room as the deluxe room seems to be very similar to those on offer at a cheaper rate.

I would most definitely not stay here again under any circumstances as customer care is nonexistent and their aggressive attitude is simply inexcusable and completely unforgivable.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

Just stayed for a week at the Langley Arms B+B. Lovely B+B, scrupulously clean and really friendly owners who couldn't have been more helpful. Highly recommended!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Langley Arms Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!