“Average hotel in a nice town.” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Villa Margherita
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Duca degli Abruzzi 147, 00055 Ladispoli, Italy   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Ladispoli
Toronto, Canada
“Average hotel in a nice town.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

The hotel is located in the lovely town of Ladispoli - well away from the busy tourist area of Rome. It's right by the gorgeous Mediterranean sea. We went to attend a wedding, which took place nearby. The hotel itself is a little dated. Our room was quite small, the bed wasn't very comfortable, and the bathroom was tough to use (the plumbing wasn't ideal, which made the smell not so nice). Furthermore, there were lots of mosquitoes that snuck into our room. Bring lots of bug spray if you visit in the summer months. On the upside, the service was excellent (bartenders were great!), there was breakfast every morning, and it was right in the centre of town. We travelled with Italian speakers, which really helped getting around and ordering. Most people in town didn't speak English, so make sure you have knowledge of some basic Italian. Our overall experience was fine, but I wouldn't say it was great value for our money. (We travelled June 2011).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Phila
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

I am firmly convinced that the star rating system in Italy is completely meaningless. Here's one of many sad examples I encountered on our 26 day journey throughout Italy. This one is rated with 3 stars. Maybe back in the 60's when it was opened? Today, it would be quite generous to give this place a 1/3 of a star.

I suspected that we would not be getting a Ritz type of accommodations, however, I should have done more research before booking this place. It's a wreck. The place is run-down and I have a hard time believing it was worthy of 3 stars even back when it was new. The receptionist that greeted us had stains on her shirt - which was already an indication of what was to come.

The place apparently caters to old folks or people from eastern european countries not able to afford to vacation in Rimini (nothing against any of them). It is cheap. But not "price cheap" - I've stayed in better motels with no stars. Considering that we paid a pretty substantial amount, I must admit I was quite shocked that we had to also pay extra for air conditioning! Unbelievable...

The room. Wow. What a wreck. Old wallpaper peeling from walls covered with spitballs (or as I feared worse) covering them in various places. Tiny CRT (that's tube TV) mounted high up on the ceiling - not that you'd want to stay in the room watching it.

The floor is concrete and I doubt it has seen a good cleaning (or any cleaning, for that matter) since 1960's. I did not even want to risk taking the shower without the slippers in the shower - that's how filthy place felt. Toilet didn't flush well either.

The room was ugly, even though it had a view of the sea. The only good thing was that you COULD leave your room (and hopefully spent as little time in place as possible).

Breakfast ends at 9:30am. So, if the night before you were trying to avoid staying in this s#!+hole as late as possible and didn't wake up screaming bright and early - NO BREAKFAST FOR YOU. But that's actually a good thing - because it will save you from spending a day being in the bathroom, since the food is so bad. My suggestion - stick to bread/butter - don't eat any of their prepared foods - your stomach will thank me later. Speaking of food - there is only 1 decent restaurant in this town "Marby" - which is completely out of place. It belongs in much better town and certainly a place like Ladispoli does not deserve it. I suggest you eat there. Actually, I don't think there are any other good places in this town, unless you want microwaved french fries or frozen pizza.

Cleaning: there is none, really. Despite trying to bribe cleaning maids by leaving 5 euros each day - our sheets were not changed even once during our entire stay of miserable 5 days. The towels were not towels. I think they may have been table cloths in their previous life but to call them towels would be more generous than giving 3 stars to this hotel. May I suggest you buy your own towel or consider using napkins?

Beds - terrible. Lopsided bed and lousy, rough sheets made sleep a very uncomfortable experience. Pillows as hard as a bag of rocks. Parking - only if you manage to park before all the people get out of their houses to try and stay out of their miserable houses. I spent one night looking for parking for 2 hours - and this is a tiny little town. However, looks like we were not the only folks who didn't want to be miserable inside. The hotel is right next to the "main square" (if you can call it that) and they like to get their party on. The closest US equivalent of the town populace can be witnessed by watching "The Jersey Shore" on MTV. The town populace can be best described as "chavs" (or white trash, for US folk). The town itself is a place to drive by very quickly or best avoided by taking the highway, going 130MPH.

The only good thing about the experience was that we missed the first day and eventually we were free to leave after our self-imposed 5 day sentence was over.

You may not be so lucky...

Room Tip: Good room? Book at another hotel in another city.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Edinburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

I only stayed in this hotel for one night after a late arrival at Rome as I was heading up the coast. It's only about 30 minutes from the airport, nearly on the beach and close to the town centre. The room was big, the pool was small but open, the breakfast was great and even the school parties didn't keep me awake. Parking outside was free and there were lots of places to eat and drink nearby.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Berlin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2008

The "Villa Margherita" is a rather modern hotel on 5 levels. It is well kept and clean. It has a nice, green court where you can sit in the evening.
The hotel is located directly in the center of ladispoli on the seafront, with a variety of shops, bars and restaurants nearby. From the railway station (800 m) there is a frequent connection to Rome. Ladispoli itself is a modern and lively, typical italian town. The city beach was well-kept but rather small. Outside of Ladispoli to the north, there is a longer natural beach (Torre Flavia)
The staff was very friendly and helpful, many thanks.
The quality of the food for dinner was good, sometimes excellent, but breakfast choice was rather limited (a general feature in Italy).
The hotel has a rather small, but nice and clean pool. Once a week, there was a music band playing in the evening.
The room we had was very nice, clean and well furnished. The best rooms to my opinion are located on the top floor, with great views over town or sea

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Villa Margherita? Share your experiences!