“Good hotel - would stay again” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Manor House Hotel

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN Manor House Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Manor House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Audley Road | Nr Stoke On Trent, Alsager ST7 2QQ, England   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Alsager
Edmonton, Canada
“Good hotel - would stay again”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2011

Positives
- Great staff
- Good English
breakfast (included)
- Hotel restaurant has very good food
- Internet connection is fast and free
Negatives
- Shower had very poor water pressure
- Decor is outdated (if you care)
- Sink has separate hot/cold faucets (see picture)

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
BWMH, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2011
Thank you for your kind feedback.

The staff and management at The BEST WESTERN Manor House hotel are continually reviewing ways in which we can improve our service levels to enhance our guests enjoyment.

We have paid particluar attention to previous comments and work hard to rectify any issues we may have had.

I am happy to hear that the staff, restaurant meals and Breakfast were all very good as these are key areas in which we continually monitor to ensure we are exceeding our clients expectations.

I am sorry to hear that you had some difficulties with the shower pressure, this is an issue we are working hard to rectify within our maintenance team.

We continue to maintain and update our property on an ongoing basis and welcome any feedback we get from our guests as this ultimately drives us forwards with our improvements.

I have passed your comments to all our operational staff and managers involved as I feel guest feedback helps to reiterate and recognise the hard work that they put in.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind Regards
Jayne Chapman.

228 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

I stayed here for 3 nights as part of a work conference. Its about 15 mins ride from crewe station or a short walk from alsager.

The room - I was first allocated was upstairs in the old part of the building with authentic oak beams. Unfortunately the shower wasn't running hot so they moved me to a new room in the new building which boasted a king size bed (really two singles pushed together) and a bigger tv. The shower in this room was working but the water temperature fluctuates. My colleagues all said the same happened with theirs. There was a hairdryer, iron, ironing board and big soft towels in the room. Free wi-fi is available throughout the hotel.

Food - We ate lunch in the ostler restaurant which was decent enough and had our evening meal off the bar menu. The bar menu had plenty of variety but it wasn't too tasty. Probably best to stick to steak or fish n chips if eating there, although do try the dime bar cake! The service in both places was a bit slow so if you're in a rush in the mornings do allow an extra 10 mins.

Facilities - There's no gym but the hotel does have a pool which is warm. Be aware that the small school opposite use this during the day for their swimming lessons. It was fairly quiet from about 6ish. There is a jaccuzzi which is really hot but lacks on the bubbles and jet front.  There is the local golf course opposite for those who like to play.

I'm sure i'll be back here again with work at some point but if i was visting the area for leisure purposes and intended to spend some time at the hotel i'd probably look and see what else was in the area

• Stayed January 2011
Further to your comments following your recent stay, please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls you experienced on this occasion.

With regard to the shower and jacuzzi issues you experienced, I have reported these to the maintenance manager and there is on going work to rectify these issues. I am happy to read that upon making reception aware they changed you to another room.

With regard to the bar food. We welcome your input, I have made chef aware of your comments and he has reviewed the menu. We continually update and refresh our menu's both in the restaurant and the bar and I sincerely appologise for the lack of quality on the occasion you were here.

I am pleased to read that the other experiences of our award winning food were positive, however with regard to the service, I know on occassions there can be pressure points for service at breakfast. These occur generally when a high percentage of guests arrive down for breakfast within a very short timescale, generally prior to breakfast service finishing and delays can then unfortunately happen. We continue to monitor our service levels to ensure we contiue improving our overall guest experiences.

Due to our village location, we activley get involved with our local community projects and initiatives, one of which being, allowing external companies and organistations use of our indoor pool to teach young children to swim and gain confidence in the water. These companies have set lesson times periodically throughout the week.
Our reception staff are always aware of the lesson times and are happy to advise our guests when these lessons are taking place so you can plan your leisure pool time around them if needed.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and welcome your feedback, I have forwarded this review to all heads of departments who will be monitoring their departments on an ongoing basis to ensure that service levels are met and exceeded.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies and if you would like to discuss your comments in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Kind Regards
Jayne Chapman
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2010

This is the second year that we have had our xmas do here,last year was good hence the return this year, rooms clean, bar and all areas clean, bar staff good.The young man on reception very good. Evening meal good , serving staff ok but 2 of our group of 26 had hot liquid spilt on them, this is in part due to minimum room between rows. Breakfast was hot , good selection bacon, eggs etc, but when we asked for toast we were told they only had one toaster that did four slices at a time !!!! this was for 50 plus guests so by the time we had eaten. the toast arrived five minutes after that , tea and coffee came about three minutes before the toast. Everytime anyone asked where the drinks or toast was, they were told > we are very busy and it will be with us when we can < Next year will be a new venue Just because they did not spend more on £20 toaster or two

• Stayed December 2010
BWMH, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, December 29, 2010
Dear Sir

Further to your comments following your recent stay and Christmas party at the hotel, please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls you experienced on this occasion.
The layout of the function room this year, was the same as in all previous years and the staff naturally are trained to take extra care when carrying hot items of food, particularly as guests often move from their seats during the service of the meal. I am uncertain as to whether the management on duty were made aware of this incident as we always offer to dry clean guests clothing, if any spillages are accidentally made.
With reference to breakfast, I cannot understand the comments that were made to you by a member of staff as we in fact have a rotary toaster. This has the facility to continually have bread placed in one end, with toast coming out the other. I know on occassions there can be pressure points for service at breakfast. These occur generally when a high percentage of guests arrive down for breakfast within a very short timescale, generally prior to breakfast service finishing and delays can then unfortunately happen.
On a positive note, I was delighted to read your comments regarding the cleanliness of the hotel and the attitude of the Reception and Bar staff, along with the evening meal being good.

Yours faithfully
Jayne Chapman
Stoke-on-Trent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

Just a quick note about this south cheshire hotel.
My wife and I have just returned from a Greek themed evening at this hotel and I must compliment all the staff for their friendly and courtious manor. From the moment we arrived at reception with a friendly smile and through out the evening and the following mornings breakfast all the staff were superb. Our room was clean and comfortable, the reception area welcoming and the pool and jacuzzi were warm and inviting.
A little disapointed with the Greek themed night. The food was delectable but a little entertainment or at least some Greek taverna type music being played would have made for a more succesful evening. We didn't expect plate smashing but maybe a little more effort next time please.
Overall a welcoming hotel in a very convenient location with excellent staff.
Keep up the good work.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

we stayed here as a base for going to alton towers. used tesco vouchers, our original choice was stoke moat house but they werent taking clubcard tokens anymore so had to settle for here.
was only a few miles off the m6 and quite easy to find thanks to the sat nav.
the night we stayed there was a wedding party, luckilly they had allocated us a room on the ground floor away from the noise.
check in was easy and quick, the guy was very friendly and informative.
first impressions of the room were good, was nice and clean and although not modern it looked fine. however i then tested the bed - ouch. was worn out to say the least, was very noisy and there were lumps on the sides of it. as it was only a standard double it effectively made it smaller as you couldnt sleep on the edge. was no point going to reception over it as we could have been moved to a noisy room above the disco and I very much doubt they have spare beds in stock. the single glazed windows were another let down, radiator was under the window so a lot of the heat was lost straight away.
breakfast on a sunday is served from 730am we went up at 8 and they hadnt finished putting the hot food out yet. it was all buffet style on this day. was nice though and the staff were friendly.
however breakfast on the monday wasnt as good. breakfast is from 7-930 on weekdays. the table we were given was dirty, the tablecloth was stained, bear in mind the dining room is really big and the hotel only has 57 rooms there are more than enough tables for everyone. obviously the lady couldnt be bothered cleaning more tables and just tried to cover the stain up with a plate. it was only buffet for cold items on the monday. so you had to order what breakfast you want. we both went for scrambled egg beans and bacon, the lady didnt understand and asked just scrambled egg and beans, we told her bacon aswell! then when it was served she asked if we wanted any sauces, we said red sauce please, she then said brown?! we dont have strong accents!
the dining room was very cold aswell, no heating or aircon on in there, id learnt from the previous morning to bring my jacket with me! it was nice though with wooden beams in it.
as others have said the public areas are really nice, the pool although small looked ok, we didnt try it though. they have free wireless access but we had to go into the reception area to use it as it wouldnt work in the room.
only 45 minutes drive to alton towers.
overall the stay was ok, we wont be returning though unless the hotel has a makeover of its rooms and windows.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2010

I went to this hotel for my Aunts wedding and it was very good. It is only a mile from the M6 so makes for a good alternative to staying in one of the Travelodges at service stations.
Upon arriving, It wasnt what I expected at all. For a Hotel called "Manor House" I was expecting just that, unfortunately, from the outside this looks like a dated motel rather than a Manor House. This led to a little bit of initial dissapointment but after entering, I was swung. The hotel is very clean. Didnt see a speck of dust during my entire stay.
The reception is quite large and welcoming. The bar is decorated like a traditional pub, low wooden beams and real ale on tap. Nice suprise.
The rooms are a little dated, the furniture looking a little worn down and a few of the cupboard doors wouldnt close properly. Unlike the bedroom, the bathroom wasnt dated and is quite classy. The beds were very comfortable on the other hand.
The function rooms are top notch, deffinately worth lloking at if you are looking for a wedding venue.
The only down side is that, when there is a function, some of the bed rooms are on top of the function room meaning that you can hear the music through the floor. Other than that, I had an amazing nights sleep and would recommend this hotel for anyone passing through or wants to use as a function hall.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2010

Used this hotel as a base for a family weekend at Alton Towers. From the moment we arrived until check-out time all the staff were extremely helpful and pleasant, providing a warm welcome and help with local knowledge.

The room was comfortable and in keeping with the standard expected, with a z-bed for our daughter, that was a bit squeaky (bed not my daughter!) but apparently very comfortable. We were given a room on the road side of the hotel, some traffic but OK, as there was a wedding party on the Saturday night....we did not hear any noise from the party and we slept like hogs :-)

We did not eat in the main restaurant, but did have a meal in the Stables bar, good selection for both adults and children, and standard of the food was suprisingly good. Breakfast, served in the main restaurant was typical hot and cold selections, and cooked breafast was substantial, perfect start for the thrills and rides of Alton Towers.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN Manor House Hotel? Share your experiences!