“Shocking” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Shocking”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

This was the very first pub I visited in Flamborough ? Oh well ? Visited with a friend who being a ex pub landlord knows his way around a good pub and good beer. They say first impressions count and I am sorry to say my first impression was poor the pub does not give a warm friendly welcome. Order two pints or real ale and after first taste wish i hadn't it was terrible. As a real ale drinker I can tell a bad pint even though I am no expert. My friend attempted to make conversation with the bar staff which was met with a frosty reply. Asking if they are many pubs in the area. Ti which the apply came '' Yes they are a few'' asking where they was the reply came '' get a map'' SHOCKING customer service in my opinion

Sat down and within seconds we was asked are you eating and again not a friendly approach. Like I said the beer was terrible we didn't even drink it so yes it was not drinkable. The pub staff only seemed interested in the customers eating in my opinion. We left the place not impressed.

Yes maybe we should of asked to speak to the landlord to make him aware of our concerns but to be honest I didn't have the heart as if a good landlord cant be bothered to even taste the beers before he serves them to his customers then he hardly worth talking to.

Walked across the road where we had a far better experience. Please read my reviews on this pub

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Pickering, United Kingdom
“Insulting”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Ordered two pints of real ale and attempted to be pleasant to bar staff. Politely asked about location of other places as I had heard Flamborough had more to offer than meets the eye. The response was, and I quote " have you tried looking at a map?" The tone was insulting and this reaction led me to believe that hospitality here was not a strong point. The only other human contact was a waitress who demanded "are you eating?", again an exact quote.I cannot comment on the food as I did not stay long enough to be treated with such contempt again. The beer,by the way,was awful. ( I am an ex landlord so know what I am on about). Could not recommend anything about this place.

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bridlington, United Kingdom
“review what you see, not the hersay of others.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Trip advisor is to review how each individual finds different places, not peoples reaction to an article in the Hull Daily Mail.Yes I detest animal cruelty too. The landlord was only trying to defend his son, as we all should, no matter what they have done. He,s probably highly embarrassed. My wife and I and whichever offspring are home go to The Royal Dog and Duck from time to time, not more as we are not big drinkers. We always find the place very welcoming, cosy and unpretentious. They dote on any dogs that people bring in. You never feel alienated as visitors do in many pubs in a tourist area. We come from the next village up coast, but always come here out of preference. The food is good,The only reason we rarely eat there is that my wife is a coeliac and in that their menu is not good, service is excellent.This is the best pub in the area by far. This review is about our experience in the pub. I would argue too that what his son did was indeffenceable , a prank yes, acceptable No! but not the fault of his father or reason to boycott the place. We will continue to go there

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Hmmm!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I loved the service but the Sunday meals seem a bit'soggy' as though the food is processed. The staf are very helpful and the beer is good, though!

Visited October 2012
Grimsby, England, United Kingdom
“nice meals”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Good beer at reasonable price, food well cooked and tasty although service can be a bit slow prices reasonable

Visited May 2012