“You can eat naked!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 48 Restaurants in Port Perry
Uxbridge, Canada
“You can eat naked!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

My wife and I went for the "famous" Thanksgiving dinner. We each got a plate that consisted of decent white turkey, a scoop of potato, awful stuffing, a stale corn muffin (??), cranberry sauce in one of those paper ketchup cups, frozen vegetable "medley", with gravy poured over top of everything. My wife said the gravy was extremely salty - I said that it made the food bearable. For dessert we got a tiny piece of pumpkin pie smothered in whip cream.

I won't go into the decor of the place. Eight foot stucco ceilings and Formica booths that have seen thousands of cigarettes smoked in. The place is absolutely awful in every sense and a renovation truly is in order. Read further and you will know why this probably won't happen...

The worst part of Haughen's is that it's an assembly line restaurant. They want you in, eat, and get-the-hell-out so that your table can be quickly stuffed with new patrons. You can eat naked in Haughen's because NOBODY will notice you if you do - you won't be there long enough! We drove from Uxbridge to Port Perry, ate our meal including dessert, and drove home backed into the garage and were inside the house in 50 minutes - with long-weekend traffic. All this for $50.00

Haughen's only wants your money but it's too darned obvious. I remember eating there in the 80's and it was packed. It wasn't today - and I now know why.

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Great atmosphere, wonderful staff and another hidden gem for great food in Ontario. I had the chicken wrap and will be going back for their ribs. I rode by this place once and I'm glad I stopped in the second time. The prices are reasonable (nothing over priced) and make sure you try the gravy with your fries! The old rustic charm and warm friendly staff help make your experience a wonderful stay. Compliment that with great food and you gotta to eat here!

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“must be an off day”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

After seeing their large sign each time we passed by claiming they serve the "Best chicken and ribs". Finally went there for dinner last summer, ordered what they are known for the BBQ chicken. Let just say Swiss Chalet is 10 times better. Haugen's chicken had no taste, the chicken did not look like it was BBQ and the sauce was tasteless.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Best ribs!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I haven't tried their chicken, but the ribs are delicious! Very homey atmosphere, friendly service and homemade seasonal pies. Very yummy! Next time I go here I am going to check out what other services they provide. ie: brunch, outdoor seating, etc.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Whitby, Canada
“Must be the location [or memories?] - an old fashioned diner since 1953”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Go for the experience. It's a fun outing - reminiscent of bygone days.

This restaurant is located on the south east corner of Highway 12 and Goodwood Road. This means it is easy to stop at on the way to the cottage and also on the way to Port Perry.

There are often numerous motorcycles parked at one end of the parking lot. No exception the night we visited, a Thursday. We did not think we would get in - at least 4 dozen bikes. However, inside the restaurant is much larger than it looks and there were many empty spaces.

There are booths for two and booths for four. Most of the seating I saw was booths, but I did not see the whole restaurant. Not really my idea of a place to tarry for a long romantic dinner, but not uncomfortable either.

The menu is simple, the prices are very very reasonable.

Perhaps my taste buds were off, but their famous chicken [possibly pressure cooked or tenderized somehow] did not impress me much. It was served with a small bit of salad out of a bag. The chicken sauce tastes like ketchup with something added to it. The ribs were okay. Strawberry pie dessert was okay.

On the bright side, the food tasted "cleaner" than food in many fast food type places.

Those who have memories of driving by as children, or like my spouse, stopping for a meal on the way to their cottage, perhaps romanticize this place just because it has lasted this long. Or perhaps have memories of good times there? I don't have such memories, so personally it is not high on my list of places to revisit. But the location is great!

And they do have various events, listed on their website: www.haugens.com

Oh, as I recall, they close for the winter.

• Visited July 2013