“Tasty Chicken - Good Sized Portions” 3 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #25 of 46 Restaurants in Port Perry
Zephyr
“Tasty Chicken - Good Sized Portions”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

consistent quality -- tasty barbeque chicken, reasonable prices, good sized portions. Ample parking, can be very busy at times, especially special days like Mother's Day.

oshawa
“Where's the Turkey?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Visited on Thanksgiving weekend. They had a Thanksgiving turkey dinner special for $18 that my wife ordered. She asked the waitress for dark meat and the waitress told her it just comes the way it does. When it arrived at the table it was "Pressed Turkey". The vegetables were frozen vegetables and the corn bread was dry and tasteless.
The Half rack of ribs wasn't too bad, Fries didn't have much taste.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Most overrated restautant in canada”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

Its always dissapointing when you know you could do better in your own kitchen but i think a child could out cook the staff at haguens. No flavor, no moisture, and dank atmosphere... Go to swiss chalet and save yourself $$$$ and disappointment

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Oshawa, Canada
“Haugen's Chicken BBQ, Port Perry *Over Rated by Food Network*”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

My husband and I decided to finally visit Haugen's in Port Perry after watching the review for You Gotta Eat Here on the Food Network. We had driven passed Haugen's many times over the years and were never inclined to stop to try it as we had always heard that it was mediocre, and not as good as Swiss Chalet. But after watching the rave review on TV, we thought it time to take the drive. We were very hungry and ready to try something different. It's a large family style restaurant that has been there since 1953, and it looks like they haven't touched the decor since it opened. My husband ordered the chicken and fries, and I had a half rack of ribs for $16.99. I asked the waitress how many ribs were on the half rack, she said it went by the weight, but usually there were 6-8 ribs. We thought that would be enough, that both my husband and I could share the ribs and chicken, and still have room for one of the homemade pies that was also raved about on the show. Wow....what a disappointment. The food was served on a very small dinner plate which was loaded with french fries, a small dinner roll and very little meat. The 6-8 ribs that were discussed actually turned out to be 5 ribs (did I mention they wee $16.99?). When I mentioned to the waitress that there were only 5 ribs, she basically said "that's the way we do things here, and if you don't like it...too bad". Although the rib sauce and the ribs were tasty, there was very little
meat on the bone of the 5 ribs. I know I keep mentioning that there were only 5 ribs, but I still can't believe that they charge $16.99 for them!! The chicken breast was on the small size with a sauce that tasted much like something that would come from a can. We had been looking forward to trying their homemade pies, but after what was served for our dinner (basically a whole lot of carbohydrates), and the attitude of the waitress, we decided that we did not want to give them any more of our money, so we passed on the pies. Over all it was a very disappointing experience and we would never return nor would we recommend them, I'm sure that they have had many new patrons because of the show, but once the hype settles down they will go back to the cottagers and the residents of Port Perry that have very limited restaurants to choose from. Too Bad!!!

• Visited August 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Barrie, Ont
“Pasta Sauce with Chicken?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

We stopped in for a quick bite and each of us had the chicken. We were very disappointed with the sauce which reminded me of common canned spaghetti sauce. How can that be? The portions were on a par with Swiss C. There were no finger bowls provided. The decor is tired-right out of the 1970s. I could not recommend this restaurant although they probably have somewhat of a captive market given the location.

• Visited August 2012