“Wonderful retreat in the Lazio hills” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fontana del Papa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tolfa
Fontana del Papa
You added Fontana del Papa to your Saves list
Strada Prov. Santa Severa, 00059 Tolfa, Italy   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Tolfa B&B and Inns
“Wonderful retreat in the Lazio hills”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

Difficult to know where to begin - this is the most beautiful place, a bit like a Disney movie come to life. A gorgeous 16th century farmhouse, lovingly restored and run by Assuntina and her daughter Emma, who produced lovingly home cooked meals and generous carafes of wine and selected Italian digestives (much needed after fabulous and substantial dinners). You can do as much or as little as you please - hiking in the mountains or lazing in the stunning grounds playing with Sebastiano, Guillermo and Rocco (family dogs) plus tame chickens, and a cute cat who all seem to be best friends.
We loved it here, and will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: The eponymous suite Fontana del Papa is stunningly beautiful.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Sussex, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

My sister and I just got back from celebrating her 50th birthday with a cookery weekend at Fontana del Papa..It is a breathtaking 16th century farmhouse with spectacular views all around just one hours drive from Rome airport. We were picked up by Luca the older son from the airport. He spoke English well and was very friendly and helpful. On arrival we were greeted with three lovely friendly dogs. The rooms were gorgeous with loads of artwork and tastefully decorated both ensuite. As we were the only guests Assuntina the owner very kindly let us have our own rooms although we had only expected the twin room. We also had our own living room and the run of the farmhouse. Assuntina is an incredible lady who has done an amazing conversion of this place. Over the weekend her beautiful daughter Emma showed us how to make two types of pasta from scratch - spaghetti puttanesca (pasta made without egg with the best sauce I have ever tasted) and fettucini carbonara with egg (eggs laid by their chickens roaming around!) we also learnt how to make a very quick bean soup, frittata, an amazing dish one of the tastiest I have ever had - with cauliflower and sausage -translates as 'drunken broccoli' - chicken cachatori, saltimboca, apple cake, tiramisu. It was just the right amount of time spent cooking - it was very casual, relaxed and 'real' - not too much like being in a strict cookery school. The rest of the time we ate and drank copious wine (far too much!! )Chatted to the family and their friends, listened to their Itailian conversations trying our best to understand what they were saying, walked ten minutes to some beautiful little hot springs, had a wander round the hilltop village of Tolfa and walked up to the castle ruins, and walked around the grounds and the olive groves and relaxed and read our books. If you are openminded and want a relaxed 'real' experience this is the place for you. If you do not like dogs, expect a five star meticulous venue with regimented, very complicated cookery classes and dont like pasta then this is not for you! Italian food is simple with basic but good quality ingredients, cooked to perfection. You are staying with a family in their home - the Italians speak passionately to each other - a previous reviewer said they were arguing but it is only their manner of speaking - its normal family life!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

We live in Paris and wanted our six-year old twins to experience the beautiful Italian countryside and food. Fontana del Papa was perfect for our family vacation as it was located just an hour from Rome, and set in pastoral paradise. We had amazing meals and relaxed on the sunny patio while the kids played hide-and-seek among the olive trees and looked for lizards.
We had a car and enjoyed exploring the surrounding areas, which were lovely and authentic. We did not have any cooking classes with the kids, but I learned a few special recipes from watching and trying to help our host prepare dinner. Please remember that this is not a hotel, but a "real" family living on a working farm. The family was a little reserved at first, but they warmed up quickly once we got to know them. We had a wonderful time and would definitely like to go back again.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Erin, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Beautiful home, surrounded by gorgeous property on Etruscan ruins. Unbelievable value for the experience. The family is so welcoming and warm. Can't wait to visit again! We ate in the kitchen with the family! It just felt like home.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Carlsbad, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

What an incredible four days! Thank you Assuntina(owner/manager and our new friend), Emma( daughter and cooking teacher extraordinaire and our new friend) for a fabulous stay. We were led to Fontana del Papa by a connection in Vetralla and spent almost four days at the farmhouse B&B. We had planned three nights with two days of cooking. Since we were the only guests until our last evening we really felt like family cooking in the farmhouse kitchen, enjoying our cooking with Assuntina and her daughter, Emma, and getting to know these two amazing women. Also enjoyed meeting Luca, Assuntina's son, who stopped by several times during our stay.

This is an amazing property with olive groves, lots of chickens from where we got our eggs each day, a well from where we got our fresh water (just step outside if you please and turn the spigot..amazing), not to mention two dogs and lots of cat! There is a beautiful pool area but being winter it was filled. The farmhouse is hundreds of years old and is completely and beautifully rebuilt with much of the original walls still in tact. It was amazing to think we were sleeping in farmhouse this old on top of Roman ruins to boot! The rooms are beautifully appointed and all are en suite. We had to hunker down because of a two day rainstorm complete with thunder and lightning. Assuntina kept the fire burning in our sitting room and we were warm and cozy…reading, going to the kitchen to cook, eat, and enjoy wine…just enjoying life!

I can't say enough positive things about Fontana del Papa except that know it is a REAL home with REAL people who are highly educated, incredibly hospitable, great cooks, and just wonderful people. We have made a new friend and will return in fall of this year.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Yellowknife, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I always dreamt of taking cooking classes in Italy and Fontana del Papa was a dream come true. I was there at a quiet time and was the only guest for my 4 day stay. My bedroom was great and before each cooking class the bell rang for me to go and start cooking. Emma (the daughter) taught most of the classes and anything I wanted to learn how to cook, they made sure I did. This was polenta, authentic ragu sauce, tirimasu, and the most amazing handmade ravioli I have ever had in my life! When I wasn't cooking or wandering around the grounds, I took the short (15-20 minute) walk to the hot spring down the road carved into the rock - no changerooms here, just an authentic outdoor bathing experience! One day Emma drove me into Tolfa and I spent a glorious afternoon wandering around the quaint town and making my way to the top of the splendid castle ruins and enjoyed them all by myself. It honestly felt like I was in my own Italian fairy tale. Of course you are staying with a family and that brings with it a different feel - there were family squabbles and other things but overall I felt very welcome and comfortable. My only regret is that I didn't stay longer and have someone else there to share the beauty with. One night Assuntina and I stayed up drinking wine and chatting and she is an amazing lady. She made a cozy fire for me every night and I stayed up and drank wine and read in front of it each night. I honestly don't understand how there can be bad reviews about this place. It is a piece of Italian countryside paradise and so accessible from Rome. If you're expecting luxury and to be waited on hand and foot, it's not the place for you. But if you want the real Italy, with amazing food and a beautiful setting, book this place immediatly!

Room Tip: I stayed in the Fragola room, which is nice in cooler times because it is beside the shared fireplac...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Roanoke, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

My sister and I, along with our husbands, spent two weeks exploring the sites of Italy. We began in Rome, then Florence, Lucca, Monterosso, and Pisa. We decided to end our trip with a three night stay at the Fontana del Papa and it was perfect! After being busy tourists it was wonderful to relax on the stone patio, sip some wine and let Assuntina take care of us. We cooked in a REAL family home (not a cooking school) and Emma and Cecelia were delightful teachers. The food was incredible! Dinner is served at the most beautiful table with guests from all over the world to chat with. I loved our stay here and would absolutely go back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Fontana del Papa? Share your experiences!