“Words cannot express this place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tariri Amazon Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Amazon River
Tariri Amazon Lodge
You added Tariri Amazon Lodge to your Saves list
Lago de Acajatuba | Iranduba, State of Amazonas 69450000, Brazil   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
“Words cannot express this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Our stay at Germano and Fabiola's fabulous little lodge was the best part of our 3 weeks holiday in Brazil (and all of it was pretty amazing). We stayed for 3 nights and enjoyed every moment. The activities were entertaining and Germano was a great guide. The hosts are such wonderful warm people and you feel like home right from the moment you step in the boat to get there. The food was also amazing, best one we remember.

We found this place an oasis of relaxation and getting in touch with the nature around you.

Thank you for such great moments! We wish you all the best
Anca & Bogdan (20-23 April, 2013)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Two adults and two girls aged 10 and 12 had a most amazing four nights and days in the lodge. Every excursion involved a fun boat trip through lakes, the Black Amazon and tree-filled creeks. We fed fishes to pink dolphins, caught piranhas and a baby crocodile, visited local communities and above all enjoyed the company of the wonderful host family, the perfect food and the tame parrots and monkeys. We swam in the warm water by the lodge, and were all sad to leave. Excellent value for money, we were met at the airport and returned there, the best way to have an amazon river and jungle experience.

Room Tip: The family rooms are the largest
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Ashland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

I really can't add to the other reviews. What amazing people in an amazing place. It is indeed a fortunate experience when you travel and a place and its people can touch your soul this way. Best to G and F.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Vitoria, ES
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

Rooms are very simple, but very clean... I would like to know in advance there wouldn´t be warm showers!
Food is great, but only 3 meals a day, no flexible time. Breakfast at 8am, but tours start at 9:30. Lunche at 1pm. Tours start at 3pm. Dinner at 7pm and that´s it. It would be nice if there were snacks available. There is coffee and milk, but nothing else. And there is no place else to buy anything. Unfortunately, no regional fruit/juice...
Tours on new, clean boats, both guides are very good (Germano and Nixon). A bit frustrating, since you don´t spot animals or birds.
The hotel is run by the owners (Germano and Fabiola) and staff are mainly their relatives. Everybody is very attentive and polite.Makes you feel really welcome.
There is a space in front of the river which is called "chapeu" with 3 hammocks, a table and a bench. It would be nicer if there were more hammocks and also chairs for the table. It would be a nice place for leisure... We could play cards, sleep after lunch, sing and play guitar at night.
No mosquitoes in the region!!! ;) When you go in the jungle, well, there are lots of mosquitoes and bugs, but not in the hotel.
Transfer from airport to hotel was OK. 1 hour and a half by car + 40 minutes by boat. On our way back, well, after the boat ride... we were put in a very uncomfortable and old van for a 110Km ride. Felt uncomfortable AND unsafe.

Room Tip: Rooms 6 to 10 are newer!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Oslo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

This is a very special place. For us this was exactly what we were looking for when we came to the Amazon. We deliberatly avoided the larger more luxurious options like Anavilhas and Juma, hoping for a more personal experience at Tariri. This was just perfect and everything we has hoped for! The cabins are simple and rustic, but very clean and well kept. No damp or funny smells from the bedding, towels e.t.c. Beds were comfortable. No airconditioning, but good mosquito nets on all the windows so you can keep windows open and fall asleep comfortably to the sound of the jungle.

The setting is so beautiful and the people are so lovely. Fabiola and Germano are such good hosts, and we felt so lucky to be their guests. The food was absolutely delicious, definitely the best fish we have had in Brazil. Homebaked fresh bread and cakes several times per day, lots of fresh vegetables, fresh juice e.t.c.

We also loved all the excursions. Our kids loved every moment of every day and they will always remember this trip. I would warmly reccomend this place to anyone!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

I read all the reviews on TripAdvisor and knew to expect good things from Tairiri. What I didn't expect was to fall in love with it and everything about it.  Would I change anything?  I ponder this in detail.

We travel by speedboat (not worth the extra cost) to the lodge and there's a great deal of laughter because the ramshackle 'speedboat' breaks down about 5 minutes from the shore.  Should I call it a port instead?  I don't know but to me it looks coastal as the River Negro is so vast, occasionally stretching to the horizon where water meets blue sky.  Eventually,  and after a few false starts, we continue on to Tairiri Lodge at good speed.   After about 2 hours, we spy the lodge and receive a wonderfully warm welcome from Fabiola and Germano and a drink of fresh juice.   It's made using a native fruit which is different from anything else I have tasted before.   It is not unpleasant.

We are shown to our cabana, a wooden cabin on stilts with a palm topped roof nestling harmoniously in the shade of the forest facing the water with the sounds of birds and cicadas all around.  It is lovely and we immediately settle in after we all jostle each other to lay in the only hammock right outside our cabana.  This good natured jostling continues for the week we spend at Tairiri.  There are other hammocks and chairs on the raised terrace near the entrance to Tairiri, a perfect spot to read or watch the sun go down and to maybe escape each other.

The cabins are wooden. Inside is basic yet comfortable and facilities are adequate but equally basic.  Don't expect a modern, totally kitted out cabana or you will be disappointed.   There's no fridge.  The shower runs cold until the sun warms it up in the afternoon but cold showers are refreshing in the heat and humidity of the jungle anyway.  The lighting inside isn't the best.   There's no mobile phone network coverage and no internet. Expect insects.   Having said all that,  the lack of facilities added to the overall relaxation, experience and ambience of the lodge and I wouldn't change a thing.  Even my step daughter said she enjoyed not being connected and it was a nice escape from the drama of teenage life.

Breakfast is wonderful and consists of bread, muffins, cake, fresh fruits, scrambled eggs, cold meat, eg. ham and cheese.   There's also tea, coffee and juices.  Other feathered guests also drop in hoping for tid bits.  The beautiful macaw especially likes a variety of morsels. The parrots are welcome and are rarely a nuisance.  The family put out bird seed for them in bird trays and in addition to the parrots you can see other beautiful birds in the trees if you watch a while and in between activities there is plenty of time to while away the day. We chatted,  played cards, read,  put videos together,  swung in the hammocks, etc. Some people swam in the river and we meant to but never did.

Lunch is also delicious and at this time there is, for example: rice or cassava chips,  manioc flour,  a fish mousse, chicken curry, salads and a desert.  It may be worth noting that I only liked the Brazillian chips and manioc flour here.  I didn't like it when I'd tried it elsewhere in Brazil.

Dinner was much like lunch, although not the same menu, and there was also the addition of soup.  Fabiola's soups are worthy of a separate mention because they are just so nice and every guest seemed to compliment her on it daily.

We were never hungry,  except perhaps after an active couple of hours walk in the jungle led by Germano and followed at the rear by his Father who watched out for us all making sure we were all safe.  It was a very interesting and informative walk and myself and my husband and the other adults all enjoyed it.  The teens, one being my step daughter and the other two belonging to an American family didn't; however, I was happy and proud of our daughter's behaviour in that she participated without grumbling at all. Perhaps it was just becsuse she didn't have a brother or sister along on this trip to verbally spa with.  It was wet, hot and very humid after the overnight rains but it's to be expected and to some, but not to us, it may be considered to be more a test of endurance.  We all needed a shower on our return before lunch to wash the dirt and sweat away.   Definitely don't miss the jungle walk as it is a good experience. Ideal attire for this activity is strong,  thick soled boots.  I wore DM's and I was glad of them as hubby got an fire ant in his training shoe and a spike from one of the trees through the sole.  A hat to protect against falling items, long trousers tucked into socks in your boots. A long sleeve cotton shirt.  Jungle spray to protect against mozzies although we were rarely bitten and other guests said the same.

The cayman hunting at night was exciting and a lot of fun and I suggest you take a kagool or waterproof jacket as it rained heavily on the return back to the lodge which made us feel a little cold.

The fishing was both leisurely and exciting when we felt a nibble on the meat on the hook.  I didn't manage to hook one.  One man in our group did but in his excitement he flung the little fellow out of the water and far out back into the black, velvety water. I strongly recommend that you wear sunscreen and a sun hat or cap.

As we were there for 6 days, we also went canoeing.  I am not sure if this is a regular activity and if not - what a pity.  It is a lovely tranquil time without the sounds of the motor on the boat and other people.  We also saw cormorants and eagles.  The area is stunningly rich, lush and fertile.

We were going to do an overnighter in the forest but my step daughter wasn't at all impressed by the prospect of sleeping in  hammocks out in the open even if we would be watched by Germano, his Father and the ever watchful, friendly,  cross breed Dalmatian dogs - so although I had previously arranged this activity we were able to cancel without being penalised.

The activity where we got up close with the pink dolphins was fantastic.  You really appreciate the size and strength of these animals during an encounter with them.  I was really happy we decided to do this as it was one of the highlights of our trip and we got some great photos.

We are now in Rio De Janeiro getting ready for the frantic excitement of the New Year 2014 celebrations and I awoke this morning at 3am and 5am to people in the streets still partying.  There are cheers and whoops of delight, whistles being blown and the odd car beeping as someone dances in the road oblivious to the traffic and I cannot help but long for a return to Tairiri.  Being awoken at 5am by the dawn chorus as I have never heard the likes of before is wonderful and I would like to replace the street sounds with it right now.

So, would I change anything about Tairiri Lodge? The answer is a resounding no.  It is simply perfect the way it is and I hope they don't make any 'improvements' and if I am lucky enough to return one day, I find it unchanged.

Thank you to Fabiola and Germano and the extended family,  some of whom work tirelessly behind the scenes,  for being such wonderful hosts. We felt as if we were guests of friends in their home such is the warmth and hospitality provided. I left feeling enriched, recharged,  blessed as never before after a holiday.

If you are considering staying at a lodge in the Amazon, I wholeheartedly recommend Tairiri Lodge

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Tariri was precisely what we were looking for an in an Amazon "adventure." Fabiola and Germano were excellent hosts, the lodge is big enough to be comfortable and capable, but small enough that the guests feel more like friends and family than customers.

Our sweet spot for what we were looking for was pretty tight - we didn't want a sheltered, Disney experience where we would feel like we were being pandered to, but we also didn't want to be scooping snakes out of our bed on the end of a stick. Tariri hits a perfect note between being rustic enough to really feel like we were in the jungle, and smartly built and well maintained enough that we always felt safe.

We arrived in Manaus late, with no luggage, thanks to Air Canada. The driver who picked us up - Mario - went so far beyond the call of duty that we can't begin to thank him enough. He was patient, tireless, helpful, and friendly. We arrived at Tariri wearing the clothes we'd left Vancouver in and holding a carrier bag with a fresh change of underwear, under the mistaken impression that our luggage might catch up with us sometime before we were scheduled to leave again. Even that appalling and exhausting beginning couldn't take the shine off the next three days.

Germano is friendly and extremely knowledgeable from first hand experience in the jungle all his life. Fabiola is equally warm and helpful, and presents meal after meal of delicious local food. She deserves to be very proud of the quality and presentation of the food at Tariri. It was full of personal touches. I can't imagine two better hosts.

Tariri is spartan, but they are well organized and take great care in maintaining the facilities. The cabin was roomy, comfortable, clean, and quiet. Well... this is the jungle. During the day you hear a few birds singing, but at night the place is a riot with insect noises. There is a small thrill in walking down the walkway, suspended a good 20 feet above the jungle floor, in the dark, completely surrounded by a howling chorus of unseen creatures. Don't get me wrong - it was amazing and fantastic. I loved every second of it.

We were scheduled for a four day stay, but the airline mess-ups shortened that to three. Fabiola and Germano made extra efforts to adapt their schedule of events to make sure we were able to do the things we wanted.

We fished for piranha, went out caiman hunting at night, trekked through the jungle, visited a small caboca community and learned all about manioc and brazil nuts, and swam with the famous pink dolphins. It always felt like a friend was showing us around his neighbourhood, rather than a package tour.

Tariri is the kind of place that I'm nervous about giving it the review it deserves because, frankly, I want to keep it as my little secret. My hope (and suspicion) is that rather than turn their successful business into a sprawling mega-lodge, they will instead keep it small and personal, with a waiting list for reservations that extends years into the future.

Thank you Fabiola, Germano, and all the lovely staff. It was experience of a lifetime and I can't imagine it any better.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Tariri Amazon Lodge? Share your experiences!