“Very noisy: we slept badly” 2 of 5 stars

Oxford Inn
Plot 12, Bananuka Road, Mbarara, Uganda   |
Ranked #3 of 4 hotels in Mbarara
London, United Kingdom
“Very noisy: we slept badly”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

As already noted the Oxford is in the middle of Mbarara, right on the main road. We were there on a Saturday night just before Christmas with heavy traffic rumbling through all night and many people partying through 'till dawn. We slept badly.

There is Wi-Fi but it is unreliable: when we asked to use it they had to find their technical wizz-kid to kick it into action. By morning it was dead again - someone had turned it off so the wizz-kid had to be found to switch it on again.

Bed was comfortable, shower worked, breakfast just passable, but if passing through Mbarara again I would certainly try somewhere else.

On the question of security we were lucky - nothing stolen. However, I noticed that the plastic card I was given to operate my door lock was labelled "Master Key", which makes me think that security is pretty sloppy at the Oxford.

Room Tip: We chose a suite which in addition to the extra space (a small sitting room) provided a bedroom away...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

6 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

My laptop was stolen from this hotel, which invalidates any positive view I could possibly have about this place (not that I can think of any positives even without that incident). There was no sign of forced entry into the room which I had only left for an hour to go into the hotel's restaurant for dinner and had the key with me which led to me to conclude that it was an inside job. While the girl at the reception was quite sympathetic the hotel manager was not only unhelpful but added salt to injury by insinuating that I had no laptop and was making the story up since none of the staff had seen it (this is despite me having used it in the restaurant earlier in my stay.

Food was poor but I did not expect better and took for ever to prepare.Very limited menu! No wifi. Bed was hard!

Oh during the first few days of my trip there was always a security guard entrance who would use his security gadget to check you as you entered the premises. After my laptop was stolen I didn't see this taking place any more.....the irony!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Mbarara hotels

Kampala Uganda
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Me and a friend stayed here a few months ago... the hotel is located in the center of Mbarara near most of the night clubs, although it does not get very loud at night. We arrived at the hotel, and to its benefit there is a parking lot where we were able to park our car. The inn is relatively old, and dark.. our room was not up to par... no hot showers, the bed was uncomfortable and in general it just seemed old, outdated, and not in the best condition. The downstairs get loud in the evening and the restaurant at the hotel usually only has half the things printed on the menu.The food in general was mediocre. My biggest complaint is against the staff who were fairly rude... also even though the hotel claims to have DSTV only two channels are available in the room, getting the staff to put on something besides soccer or African Soaps is impossible. The prices are fairly high for Mbarara... would def look for another place in the future.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Oxford Inn? Share your experiences!