“Great wee fish and chip shop” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Square

The Square
28 Market Square, Stonehaven AB39 2BA, Scotland (Formerly Sandy's Fish and chips)
01569 763234
Improve this listing
Ranked #22 of 30 Restaurants in Stonehaven
Cuisines: Scottish
Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Great wee fish and chip shop”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

Stopped here on our way out of Aberdeen. Easy to find in the town square. Freshly cooked food and friendly staff. We took our food and sat on the beach nearby. Would recommend.

Visited August 2014
The_Square_Fish_Chip, Manager at The Square, responded to this review, September 1, 2014
Hi Jane,

Thank you very much for your review. From me and all the team we are very happy for your custom and look forward to serving you in the future.

Fettercairn, United Kingdom
“excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014 via mobile

Called at the Carron chipper for lunch only to be told they dont cater for gluten free anymore cos it wasnt worth it! And called in here in search of gluten free chips even..... excellent service and VERY accomodating! Right down to knowing malt vinegar was a problem and asking if I'd like gluten free white vinegar! Soooo pleased we could eat lunch as a family, thankyou again x

Visited July 2014
Hi Kinsey M,

Thank you very much for your kind review. We are glad you enjoyed the gluten free meal and hope to see you again soon!
“Good but quite expansive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

The fish was not delicious but tasty anyway. The food is good but i find it a bit expansive. And we paid more than what was written on the menu. Asking customers to give a 5 star rating to get a discount on next visit is scandalous. This is corruption and i can't stand it

Hi Mika R,

Thank you for taking time to review us and we are glad you enjoyed your meal. We think we are priced at the same level as the other shops in the area. Thanks again.
Scotland, United Kingdom
“Nothing special & overcharged!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

I wonder if the fact that The Square are offering 20% off the next purchase for a 5 star review on Trip Advisor is altering the ratings!!! Sorry guys, not enough to make me give 5 stars or go back.

Had a couple of takeaway kids fish bite meals and a steak&gravy pie supper.

Kids meals advertised at £3 for lunchtime on posters in the shop but I was charged £3.70 for each. Even brought up with guy serving and he just shrugged his shoulders.

Pie was just a bog standard, deep fried steak pie.

All tasted OK, nothing great & covered in "fruity" brown sauce. That's not chip shop sauce in my books & totally spoiled the taste for me. Personal opinion however.

Pricey for what we got & I'll definitely go elsewhere next time as there's a few other chippys round the town.

• Visited August 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Hi Lower Largo,

Thanks for taking the time to give us a review. We are sorry you was overcharged and would love you to contact us on info@thesquarestonehaven.com to get your refund. I have also retrained staff to prevent this from happening again. We are also looking into the brown sauce.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“My oh my”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

Went here tonight as the Caron- my favourite, was shut. The lady behind the till was fine until she gave me back no change when I was due £5. I had to ask her to stop pouring so much vinegar on my meal before it started swimming. Took my meal home and my daughters hot dog bun has obviously been sitting out for the past week as it was hard and crusty. Took my sons kid meal box out only for the box to open at the bottom and was soaked in vinegar and his meal to go all over the floor. Wasn't a great experience and won't be making a quick return. Bring back Sandys.

• Visited July 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
The_Square_Fish_Chip, Manager at The Square, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Hi there,

We are really sorry for not meeting yours or our own standards. We strive to learn from our mistake and have addressed these issues so they don't happen again.

Kind regards