“Good but quite expansive” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Square

The Square
28 Market Square, Stonehaven AB39 2BA, Scotland (Formerly Sandy's Fish and chips)
01569 763234
Improve this listing
Ranked #22 of 30 Restaurants in Stonehaven
Cuisines: Scottish
“Good but quite expansive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

The fish was not delicious but tasty anyway. The food is good but i find it a bit expansive. And we paid more than what was written on the menu. Asking customers to give a 5 star rating to get a discount on next visit is scandalous. This is corruption and i can't stand it

The_Square_Fish_Chip, Manager at The Square, responded to this review, September 1, 2014
Hi Mika R,

Thank you for taking time to review us and we are glad you enjoyed your meal. We think we are priced at the same level as the other shops in the area. Thanks again.

Scotland, United Kingdom
“Nothing special & overcharged!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

I wonder if the fact that The Square are offering 20% off the next purchase for a 5 star review on Trip Advisor is altering the ratings!!! Sorry guys, not enough to make me give 5 stars or go back.

Had a couple of takeaway kids fish bite meals and a steak&gravy pie supper.

Kids meals advertised at £3 for lunchtime on posters in the shop but I was charged £3.70 for each. Even brought up with guy serving and he just shrugged his shoulders.

Pie was just a bog standard, deep fried steak pie.

All tasted OK, nothing great & covered in "fruity" brown sauce. That's not chip shop sauce in my books & totally spoiled the taste for me. Personal opinion however.

Pricey for what we got & I'll definitely go elsewhere next time as there's a few other chippys round the town.

• Visited August 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Hi Lower Largo,

Thanks for taking the time to give us a review. We are sorry you was overcharged and would love you to contact us on info@thesquarestonehaven.com to get your refund. I have also retrained staff to prevent this from happening again. We are also looking into the brown sauce.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“My oh my”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

Went here tonight as the Caron- my favourite, was shut. The lady behind the till was fine until she gave me back no change when I was due £5. I had to ask her to stop pouring so much vinegar on my meal before it started swimming. Took my meal home and my daughters hot dog bun has obviously been sitting out for the past week as it was hard and crusty. Took my sons kid meal box out only for the box to open at the bottom and was soaked in vinegar and his meal to go all over the floor. Wasn't a great experience and won't be making a quick return. Bring back Sandys.

• Visited July 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
The_Square_Fish_Chip, Manager at The Square, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Hi there,

We are really sorry for not meeting yours or our own standards. We strive to learn from our mistake and have addressed these issues so they don't happen again.

Kind regards
“Best chipper in Stonehaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

Crispy batter, luscious white moist fish, perfectly cooked chips. Larger than average portions excellent value. Have been a few times and always the same. Highly recommended for fish and chips.

Visited June 2014
The_Square_Fish_Chip, Manager at The Square, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Thank you very much for your 5* review. We look forward to serving you again in the future!
London, United Kingdom
“First visit.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

After my visit to Dunnottar Castle I was hungry and needed to sit down.

“The Square” met my needs, the Fish and Chips was one of my best ever and at a modest price too.

The service by the smiling young Waitress was welcome too!

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
The_Square_Fish_Chip, Manager at The Square, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Thank you very much for your 5* review. It means a lot to us and we are glad you enjoyed your visit. We hope to see you again.