“Recommended without a doubt” 4 of 5 stars

Ship Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5, Shore Head, Stonehaven AB39 2JY, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stonehaven
Edinburgh
“Recommended without a doubt”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

Booked in here as there were no rooms in Aberdeen at a reasonable cost and was pleasantly surprised but the friendly welcome and great seafood. The room was clean and comfortable and I will definitely be back by choice next time.

Stayed November 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Excellent accommodation and a great breakfast i would definitely go back here its just outside aberdeen sp it is a great place to stay at the right price. The breakfast and restaurant are excellent and the service is very good with friendly staff.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW via mobile

This is the first time I have stayed here and I enjoyed it very much.
The staff are very friendly, welcoming and professional.
The breakfast was nice, fresh and plentiful with lots of choices.
I had dinner in the captains rest, which is part of it, I have eaten here on 3 or 4 previous occasions and the food is excellent, great sea food and shellfish.
On most occasions (as with this one) it gets very noisy and a couple had two little girls in school uniforms who wouldn't sit down and be quiet, they were crawling under the tables playing with a mobile phone and running out and in the front door.
A full table of 8 women came in and fortunately I was leaving , good night night though

Stonehaven, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We've been going into The Ship for occasional dinners for three or four years now, as we only live round the corner but, after the sour-faced and downright rudeness of one of the staff to us and our guests on Sunday, we won't be doing so again. My wife and I, plus our two-year-old girl, and two friends, plus their two-year-old daughter, popped in for lunch, and made our order, only to be told, much to our surprise - and in very impolite terms - to get our children to keep the noise down as other people were trying to eat there.
Fair enough if our children were being loud, disruptive or intrusively boisterous, but they were none of those things. They were restained, cheerful, and under control. No-one around us seemed bothered by them at all - or even to have noticed them. If the request had been made politely, we might have responded positively. But it was sudden, umprompted and petulant - like being spoken down to by an ill-tempered teacher. I was gobsmacked and angry, as were our guests, so we left after telling the staff at the bar in no uncertain terms why we would not be coming back.
I don't suppose the people who run The Ship are overly-bothered by our leaving, as the harbour area is usually so busy and there is such a high throughput of tourists that they are hardly begging for business. But if there is there idea of being a 'family-friendly' pub which specialises in serving food, I wonder what they consider a family to be (or does it exclude small, cheerful children?). In business terms, it would probably also not be adviseable for them to alienate local people on whom they depend for so much good-will.
Maybe this was a case of one (senior) member of staff having a very bad day, but somehow I doubt it, as a few other people in Stonehaven I've spoken to subsequently say the place has a reputation for the shoddy attitude of a few of its staff (although most I've encountered there, I hasten to add, have always been cheerful and helpful).
Ah well, I hear the Marine along the harbour is friendlier so in future that's where we'll take our money - Neil Young

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
sjcshank, Owner at Ship Inn, responded to this review, 1 week ago
As usual, there are two sides to every story. The events as related by Mr Young occurred on Sunday 16th November, but the story actually started the evening before (strange that this detail was omitted from Mr Young's account!). On the Saturday early evening, Mr and Mrs Young were also asked - politely - to keep the children under control because they were running about and making a lot of noise then, too. Several of our regulars at the bar commented about the racket they were making and one couple who were having a meal asked one of the waitresses if the staff could throw them out.

The problem was not just with the children making a lot of noise, they were also getting under the feet of my waiting staff who were delivering meals from the kitchen. Who would have been to blame if one of the kids had a bowl of hot soup spilt over them?

On the Sunday lunchtime, the children were just as excited, noisy and disruptive as they had been the evening before - running back and forth between the entrance door and the corridor to the toilets so still likely to cause an accident with waiting staff who have to cross this area to deliver meals. My Assistant Manager (who had spoken to them on the previous evening) was busy serving at the bar so asked another member of staff (who has worked in the trade for many years and is used to dealing with the public in all circumstances) to ask the adults in the party to keep the children under control. This she did - politely and professionally. Several customers who witnessed the whole affair stated that Mr Young was totally out of order (he proceeded to berate my staff in a raised voice) and that my staff acted in a professional and courteous manner.

Mr Young and party then left (without paying for meals that they had ordered) and, apparently headed for the Marine. Maybe the staff in the Marine enjoy dealing with totally unsupervised, badly behaved, noisy and disruptive children but I doubt it.

We are entirely family-friendly at the Ship Inn and serve many thousands of meals to families - including young children - every year, but those who bring children into licensed premises must be responsible for the behaviour of those children.

Simon Cruickshank - Proprietor, The Ship Inn, Stonehaven.
Wymondham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I had some business meetings in Aberdeen but wanted to stay outside the city centre during my stay there. I had previously stayed at The Ship and had no doubts about returning. The location of the hotel is fabulous being situated directly on the harbour, with beautiful sun rises in the morning and sun sets in the evening. The rooms are fine, tidy and clean, the staff are very helpful and friendly. The food in the bar is great, lots of choice and all well cooked, the fish is extremely fresh and worth trying!! The breakfast in the morning is fine, traditional fare which is well cooked and presented. As someone who stays in a lot of hotels this is in my top ten.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the harbour have the best views
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled on business

Westbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I decided to stay at The Ship Inn after a "drinking visit" in February 2014.
As I hoped everything was great , good clean Room and friendly staff.
Breakfast was great - I could have what I wanted freshly cooked.

I will definitely stay again - Thanks

Room Tip: Room 5 was nice ! But no sea view !
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business

Inverness, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I had the good fortune to be booked into this hotel for a recent business trip. Very comfortable and clean room, friendly staff and fantastic food to choose from the menu all helped to make this a very enjoyable stay. Would definitely stay again7

Stayed November 2014, traveled on business

Been to Ship Inn? Share your experiences!