“I really enjoyed my stay last Nov, Feb, & June and am on my way back for my 4th stay on Nov 9. I can hardly wait!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Paradise Samana

You added Grand Paradise Samana to your Saves list
Grand Paradise Samana
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Las Galeras, Dominican Republic (Formerly Casa Marina Bay)   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Las Galeras
Red Deer
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

What a wonderful place to visit and enjoy my vacation. I am so looking forward to seeing all of the friendly staff and the beautifully kept grounds. Last time I missed the beautiful white goose who hung out around the beach restaurant during our first 2 trips.
Also, a special mention of the wonderful restaurant staff who were so friendly and kind. Irenes de La Rosa and Leocallita I am so hoping to see you both again!!!

• Stayed November 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
  • Polish first
Brantford, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

We went to Grand Paradise Samana on a last minute trip for our anniversary and had a great experience. When we checked in the front desk girl Gina spoke very good english and was super friendly and helpfull. And even during our stay we spoke do Gina if needed more water or whatever, service was great. We got the safe for our passports ($15) but worth the peace of mind. The resort is very clean and well kept. Beach is beautifull with powder white sand with great snorkeling, even went out on a kayak for first time (free to use). Beach restaurant is right next to the beach so minimal walking and food was great even had ice cream. During our stay we had three on the beach candle light dinners...AMAZING...is all I can say. There is three pools, the side by side kids/adult which is ok just plain BUT and the third one little further down the resort is adults only pool with a nice water feature (there was no one at this pool ever so it was like our own). Enertainment staff has activities, I did the aerobics in the ocean...COOL.., also there is a nightly show. Since we were there just before Halloween they had a show and decorations at the disco.Overall the food was very good, there is a chef making eggs to order for breakfast and a pasta for dinner along with an extensive buffet (bread was very fresh). Coffee was good too but instead of the hot milk they usually put out I would use the cold milk by the cereals. ALSO at the pool bar they have a yummy capuccino machine (they will even put a little alcohol in it if you ask)There is a few excursions you can book with Ramon we did one is was fun. We met lots of very nice people, shout out to: Catelyn and Robert, Annie and Steve and the very interesting Terry and Trudy. Tip: we flew into Puerto Plata airport so the bus ride to this resort was 3 and a half hours. But were told if you fly right into Samana airport its about one hour bus ride.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thornbury, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

I stayed here from October 15-29, 2013, as part of a Sunwing vacation.
I am a very experienced Caribbean traveller, and have been to the DR over 10 times (PC, PP, Juan Dolio, Boca Chica and Sosua). This area is easily one of the most beautiful, but there is a downside to that: Las Galeras is a 4 hour bus ride from the Puerto Plata airport, which the charter companies use in the low season.
I was given an ocean view room right beside the lobby, and close to the main restaurant. The room was pleasant, had an electronic safe, electronic key entry, and was kept well-maintained and well-cleaned (do leave a daily tip, maybe one dollar, for the HK lady). DR cable tv is excellent...lots of good movie channels and some with Spanish subtitles to help you improve your "Espagnol".
The buffet restaurant provided excellent food...I was never bored during the 14 days. There were 2 specialty restaurants as well, by the beach. Several buffet dinners were offered in outdoor venues ( by the main pool and by the beach), and every dinner was theme-based.
There were three pools, several bars, a disco, a wide variety of activities (archery, aerobics, volleyball, etc). Snorkelling is pretty good in the reef-protected bay, and there is an onsite dive shop.
There was only one windsurfer available, and its sail was torn....the waterfront guys are more interested in selling you dives or instruction......this was the only annoying part of the resort.
The beach is rather narrow, but very pretty and about 400 metres long....there are local vendors, but they are not intrusive and learn to leave you alone if you aren't interested.
In January and February, humpback whales from Newfoundland winter here....their displays are spectacular and well worth a boat trip.
The little village of Las Galeras is a leisurely 15 minute walk away along the beach,and La Samana is about 25 minutes away by car.
The clientele was mostly German, with some French, and a few Canadian and Americans. There were non-smoking areas in the restuarants.
I experienced a very enjoyable, albeit very quiet vacation with temperatures in the low 30sC and only 3 days of cloud/rain.
Excellent value.
The only negative was the long bus transfer.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are along the perimeter of the resort (two levels, three buildings); other rooms ov...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Whitby, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

I travelled with my boyfriend, his teenage son as well as my brother. This was my boyfriends son’s first time ever going anywhere Caribbean. We stayed at the Grand Paradise resort from Feb 5’13 to Feb 12’13.
After our flight we received our luggage and our hotel voucher almost right away. We jumped on a bus which took over an hour and forty five minutes. Immediately we met the two friends (Brandon and Liam) we would party with for the week on the bus. We all had a couple of cold ones on the ride to the hotel. The drive there was dark so it was hard to see anything.

Upon arrival at the resort we checked in and got our two room numbers. The two boys got into their room, however we did not, our card didn’t work, and we could hear a man in the room. We knocked and this man stated this was his room. Reception actually came with us back to the room, knocked again, and the man in that room started to get real pissed off LOL. However, after that issue, they put us in a room next to the boys. The hotel rooms were average, but had a decent bed and a bar fridge, so we were happy. On the plus side, there was a small bottle of Dominican rum waiting in our room’s 

The food at this resort is exceptionally good for the Dominican, I was impressed with all the different theme dinners each night. The desserts were just to die for!!! The drink’s were excellent, I never had a complaint. Remember, a tip goes a looooong way, with just a few bucks you can get great prompt bar service with many smiles! We did not try any of the A La Cartes though.

Yes, the locals show up every weekend, and this place gets a little packed. Just be sure and get to the buffet for meals early enough!

We caught a few of the nightly show’s and they were pretty entertaining, we enjoyed them. We really enjoyed the games room right beside the bar down by the beach, it was a great spot. There was a disco; however it was shut down by 1am. This is not a 24 hour club. They did have “snacks” being served at the buffet restaurant by the ocean around midnight each night though! Oh and on a side note, try to bring your own munchies, we bought a bag of Dorito’s and Cheesies and together these cost us almost $20!!!!

The pools were really nice, in good shape with volleyball net, so I was happy.

The beaches are gorgeous, be sure to walk the paths, both to the left and right by the ocean. Watch out for horse dung thou, there are even wild horses running along these paths at night time! Too cool. When you are standing looking out onto the ocean, turn left and follow this path to a small town which was an interesting walk to say the least. There are restaurants and bars in this town. The beaches along the way are just gorgeous. The “mountainous” views were incredible, I was in heaven!!!

Now for the downside.

In the morning of our third day at this resort my boyfriends son walked by a hotel room that had a maid cart out front of it. He happened to peek in and witnessed the maid rummaging through someone’s luggage. Boy was I soooo happy we had locks on all of our luggage’s! BRING LOCKS FOR YOUR LUGGAGE IF YOU GO TO THIS RESORT.

Our friends had a “bungalow” room (ROOM 3124). The front door to this room had at least a one inch gap between the door and the frame. On our very last night at the resort, one of our friends decided it was time to go to bed, while our other friend stayed to party with us. All of a sudden, hours later our friend comes running over to us stating that “someone broke into the room and was rummaging through the luggage’s, it was a staff member in uniform” while he was sleeping! They spoke with security right away who basically shook it off and refused to contact the police. We were told that it would be looked into in the morning…..WHAT??? this guy would be loooong gone by the morning!

Back to the airport.

We got very restless on the last day of the trip and decided that we did not want to take the bus back to the airport, so all 7 of us hired a cab! I’m so glad we did, because we left earlier than the bus and really enjoyed the scenery on our ride.

All in all, pretty resort, nice staff, great food/drinks and good entertainment. If it weren’t for the theft and breach of privacy, then I would have gone back to this resort. The Security/Management didn’t bat an eye about the break in. What if there were kids in this room???

Room Tip: Bungalow rooms were very nice and spacious with a kitchen
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

My husband and I, from Kitchener, ON, just came back from a one week trip from Grand Paradise Samana.
We were very pleased with the resort and the surroundings. For future travellers who decide to go to this resort, please ignore all previous bad reviews. The place is really like a paradise and rooms are clean and comfortable.

If you want to avoid the 4 hour bus drive from Puerto Plata to the resort, arrange to fly to the Samana airport. We flew to Puerto Plata not knowing that the bus drive will be that long, however this way we could really take a glimpse of the dominican country side along the ocean line. Was worth it, no regrets.

Again, please ignore bad reviews: who wrote those should not be allowed to leave their home premises. This is an excellent location with great people!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Guelph, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

This resort is a 3 Star and please don't expect anything more. If you paid very little to stay here than you got what you paid for, if you want more than go to the Grand Bahia.

From the airport you will be transfered to the resort via the Grand Bahia Cayoacoa to drop off guests staying there that is about 30 min from the airport than you will have another 45 min to The Grand Paradise Resort. So buy a beer at the airport sit back and enjoy all that Beautiful Samana has to offer. (Air Canada Vacations flying Direct to Samana )

When you arrive at the resort your check in will go quickly and smoothly. The Front desk staff are very friendly and efficient. Guery dose speak and understand English if your not yelling at him or speaking to fast!

You room is basic and should have new pillow top beds in them with new sheets and decor.
It is still bare bones and no frills. The Maids work very hard to make sure the rooms are very clean, I stayed in room 7314 and had no problems with the Air Conditioning or plumbing.
I did however get there and was checked into 1126 a room with a beautiful view but also a very outdated room and I was not staying in a room on the ground floor. (personal preference)
I went to the front desk and ask to be moved to a newer room, "No Problem" and within a few hours Guery had me moved.

The resort was only at about 30% occupancy so there was not alot of guests from Monday to Friday, However friday the locals do come and vacation here so you must be open to the true Caribbean and not just a fancy resort.

The food was Buffet all week,3 a la cart resturants included (only 2 open) we had one night of ordering off the menu. You have to be creative when it comes to putting your meals together and be willing to try new foods. The dishes that were prepared were the same all week with just 1 or 2 new ones. The dominicans have very flavorful foods unlike Cuba so no worries there.
They also do a nice private dinner(seafood) for Canadian & American Guests Only.
Dinner by the pool side is nice as well as the beach set up.

The one thing that does make this resort a good value is the LOCATION. It has beautiful grounds and all well maintained. A new Kids Club that can host all ages.
There are plenty of water sports and games going on all day by the entertainment staff.
There are plenty of beach chairs and heaps of space to lay about. (No getting up at 6am to get a chair)
The 3 Pools are never busy as most prefer the beach, there is a great pool for small children.
The guests age range is 35+ (Europeans spend 2-3 weeks here)

So in all this resort is a 3 star but good things are happening and you can see the changes being made. I am told that within 6 months that the rooms will all have new beds and decor. There is money going into this resort to make it a better place.
I would love to go back in a years time to see the new GRAND PARADISE SAMANA!!
You make your vacation what it is not the staff at the resorts, you choose to go there because the price was good, so ENJOY and worry about it later!

I just want to say that JOEL from ACV is on it, it's his job to make sure you have no worries. He is a great source of knowlege.
The Manager "Wil" of the hotel was on top of everything and made our stay just that much better. THANK YOU

Room Tip: Blocks 5-8 have been re-done. The 1100 block ground floor are re-done. 7314 is a great room!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We were trilled from Grand Paradise Samana resort! Beautiful beach in secluded area, nice staff, good foods and drinks! Our room was clean, very again" and with enough sport activities! One day we will be there again!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to Grand Paradise Samana? Share your experiences!