“Beautiful Trip and Resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Paradise Samana

Save Saved
You added Grand Paradise Samana to your Saves list
Grand Paradise Samana
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Las Galeras, Dominican Republic (Formerly Casa Marina Bay)   |
Ranked #3 of 6 hotels in Las Galeras
Kitchener, Canada
“Beautiful Trip and Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

My husband and I, from Kitchener, ON, just came back from a one week trip from Grand Paradise Samana.
We were very pleased with the resort and the surroundings. For future travellers who decide to go to this resort, please ignore all previous bad reviews. The place is really like a paradise and rooms are clean and comfortable.

If you want to avoid the 4 hour bus drive from Puerto Plata to the resort, arrange to fly to the Samana airport. We flew to Puerto Plata not knowing that the bus drive will be that long, however this way we could really take a glimpse of the dominican country side along the ocean line. Was worth it, no regrets.

Again, please ignore bad reviews: who wrote those should not be allowed to leave their home premises. This is an excellent location with great people!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

1,668 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
Guelph, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

This resort is a 3 Star and please don't expect anything more. If you paid very little to stay here than you got what you paid for, if you want more than go to the Grand Bahia.

From the airport you will be transfered to the resort via the Grand Bahia Cayoacoa to drop off guests staying there that is about 30 min from the airport than you will have another 45 min to The Grand Paradise Resort. So buy a beer at the airport sit back and enjoy all that Beautiful Samana has to offer. (Air Canada Vacations flying Direct to Samana )

When you arrive at the resort your check in will go quickly and smoothly. The Front desk staff are very friendly and efficient. Guery dose speak and understand English if your not yelling at him or speaking to fast!

You room is basic and should have new pillow top beds in them with new sheets and decor.
It is still bare bones and no frills. The Maids work very hard to make sure the rooms are very clean, I stayed in room 7314 and had no problems with the Air Conditioning or plumbing.
I did however get there and was checked into 1126 a room with a beautiful view but also a very outdated room and I was not staying in a room on the ground floor. (personal preference)
I went to the front desk and ask to be moved to a newer room, "No Problem" and within a few hours Guery had me moved.

The resort was only at about 30% occupancy so there was not alot of guests from Monday to Friday, However friday the locals do come and vacation here so you must be open to the true Caribbean and not just a fancy resort.

The food was Buffet all week,3 a la cart resturants included (only 2 open) we had one night of ordering off the menu. You have to be creative when it comes to putting your meals together and be willing to try new foods. The dishes that were prepared were the same all week with just 1 or 2 new ones. The dominicans have very flavorful foods unlike Cuba so no worries there.
They also do a nice private dinner(seafood) for Canadian & American Guests Only.
Dinner by the pool side is nice as well as the beach set up.

The one thing that does make this resort a good value is the LOCATION. It has beautiful grounds and all well maintained. A new Kids Club that can host all ages.
There are plenty of water sports and games going on all day by the entertainment staff.
There are plenty of beach chairs and heaps of space to lay about. (No getting up at 6am to get a chair)
The 3 Pools are never busy as most prefer the beach, there is a great pool for small children.
The guests age range is 35+ (Europeans spend 2-3 weeks here)

So in all this resort is a 3 star but good things are happening and you can see the changes being made. I am told that within 6 months that the rooms will all have new beds and decor. There is money going into this resort to make it a better place.
I would love to go back in a years time to see the new GRAND PARADISE SAMANA!!
You make your vacation what it is not the staff at the resorts, you choose to go there because the price was good, so ENJOY and worry about it later!

I just want to say that JOEL from ACV is on it, it's his job to make sure you have no worries. He is a great source of knowlege.
The Manager "Wil" of the hotel was on top of everything and made our stay just that much better. THANK YOU

Room Tip: Blocks 5-8 have been re-done. The 1100 block ground floor are re-done. 7314 is a great room!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We were trilled from Grand Paradise Samana resort! Beautiful beach in secluded area, nice staff, good foods and drinks! Our room was clean, very again" and with enough sport activities! One day we will be there again!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Brampton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

We just came back from the GRAND PARADISE resort. It was our second visit here. We stayed 3weeks and I have only the best memories not only of the place, but mostly of the kind and generous employee of the hotel. I would like to share a story with you. It is about avocado ... I am absolutely crazy about the fruit. Specially the fresh one....So, I was trilled, when I entered the dinning area and saw one of the employee eating one !!! I looked everywhere in the prepared food sections - but could not find it . I looked again in the direction, where the lady was eating her avocado and than I realized, that she was one of the staff of the resort and figured that she was eating her own lunch. So - I filled my plate with different varieties of goodies and went back to my table. I got a visitor there. Her name is - Noris SILVERIO and to my absolute surprise,
she was bringing me a plate with an avocado she brought with her to work !!!! And not only that ...
the next day she brought me some more ....!!!! What can I say : THANK YOU Noris so very much !! You and lots of others (to name just few: Gina, Ariel, Roger +++) become a great friends to us ...and thanks to you we will be so happy to come back to your wonderful "Paradise" next year !!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

First off, without a doubt, the beach is beautiful and it feels pretty safe (which was important for two females travelling alone). But.......thats pretty much where it ends. Its kind of a nudist resort, which is totally fine I guess. Except I think the average guest age probably sits around 65-75, so don't expect to see hotbodies. Cows roam the grounds fairly freely, which can be fun and/or terrifying, depending on your feelings about livestock. The food was meh, and sometimes borderline gross, but mostly passable. Cocktails flow freely and, since it appears most guests are European, they act shocked when you tip. But the sugar-to-booze ratio makes it pretty close to impossible to get a buzz, unless you're 75 probably. The couple of nights we attempted to spend time in the "disco", there were maybe six other patrons. Again, with the average guest age. When we left to drive across the country to catch our flight, they asked us to drive a male staff member to his hometown, which was awkward for two single females. But he was friendly and didn't rape or rob us, so that ended up ok. So, yeah, if you want cheap and no frills, totally stay here. Its beautiful country and safe. You get what you pay for. If you can afford a little more, I'd say pay a little more.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Penetanguishene, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We just got back from this resort yesterday. The beach was beautiful, very secluded from other resorts. The oceanview room was nice. I wasn't a fan of the food. We would go again just for the beach and the weather.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

Our first visit to the Grand Paradise was June 2013. Had the best time ever. Beach breathe taking, grounds beautiful, staff very friendly. Needless to say we came back for two weeks in October 2013. If you want rest and relaxation, this is the place to be. We will most certainly be back again.

Cathy - Beamsville, On Canada

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Paradise Samana? Share your experiences!